Monday, December 10, 2012

Books for Christmas

Thank you for all your well wishes.  The scrapes are healing and the bruises...as my sweet adoring husband tells me, are turning into lovely yellow areas.  Seriously, I know I am so fortunate.  Again thank you!


Now it is time to get on with the important stuff!  
Have you completed your Christmas list?  I haven't.  
I did spend some time this past weekend aiding the economy, 
but I still have a few things left on the list.



I'm a last minute kind of girl.  There is just something about
the rush of adrenaline when you are on the prowl for the perfect gift.  It is all about the hunt!


Would it surprise you to learn my favorite gifts to give are books?
I spend weeks browsing bookstores and reading reviews trying to match up the
perfect title with the perfect person on my list.


I thought you might be interested in a sampling of the books I've discovered as possibilities.  Some of these titles are on my own list to Santa.



Marmee and Louisa is on the top of my list.
If you know someone who loved Little Women, this dual biography might be a wonderful gift.  Eve LaPlante having the advantage of being a descendant of the Alcott family, takes us into this fascinating mother/daughter relationship.  We learn Louisa's mother was a gifted writer in her own right.  It is throughout Abigail's story we discover Louisa.




In Junior High I loved Agatha Christie.  I often imagined Miss Marple as my aunt,  and who wasn't a just bit intrigued (if not frighted) by the working mind of Hercule Periot?  I'll tell you a secret... I once played sick to stay home so I could finish Death on the Orient Express.   Using Christi's own archives, photos and post cards, The Grand Tour allows the reader and fan of Agatha Christi to accompany her on a year long voyage around the British Empire in 1922.   


For the lover of a good thriller on your list.  
 The Art Forger  looks perfect to me.  Shapiro takes us to the underbelly of the art world where a talented artist finds herself involved with art forgery.    We are promised a 
multi-layered story of "love, betrayal, and authenticity".

If you find this in your stocking I may want to borrow it.  Sounds perfect for a snow day.
(If we are so lucky)

 For your favorite history buff?   What about
Jon Meacham's Thomas Jefferson, The Art of Power?



I am dying to buy this for someone!  In Meacham's words, "He endures because we can see in him all the varied and wondrous possibilities of the human experience -- the thirst for knowledge, the capacity to create, the love of family and friends, the hunger for accomplishment, the applause of the world, the marshaling of power, the bending of others to one's own image."  One reviewer called this a "masterpiece".

For your favorite child?
How about 



Susan Jeffers does a beautiful job illustrating and retelling this Christmas favorite and
I adore it.   Susan Jeffers intentionally wrote this book for the younger child using fewer words and gorgeous illustrations.  For so many years "The Nutcracker" was a major part of our holiday.  This book took me back to the Christmas's when Heather and I attended this Christmas tradition, and the following years when she danced several different parts in the Nutcracker.  This would be a wonderful gift to give a child along with tickets to The Nutcracker.


Jan Brett is a favorite who never disappoints me.  
Home for Christmas follows an impish wild troll, tired of his family's demands,  as he leaves his family to be out on his own.  Just before Christmas he finds a family of moose and through unforeseen circumstances is unexpectantly returned home.  Like our friend Dorothy Gale, in another story, he finds out there "is no place like home".   I read this to my children this morning, and everyone was captivated by Rollo's adventure.


Do you enjoy giving books as Christmas gifts?
I hope I have given you a few ideas.
If you have read any of these titles I would love to hear your thoughts.

Oh, I finally finished the tree!
Book cover images 
via B&N and NPR.

20 comments:

  1. I too am a last minute girl :) I don't know how people shop early or all year long for the holidays! You book selection is wonderful and I think I'll write a couple done. I've got 10 days off and plan to watch some movies and read a book or two if possible.

    Hope you are enjoying the season!
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, I, too, will have an extended Christmas holiday. It is always a wonderful time to enjoy a good read. I hope you will share what you select and your thoughts. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. I finish my shopping before Thanksgiving every year (Don't hate me!). The book about Thomas Jefferson looks especially interesting. I have always been fascinated by him, he was so intelligent and introduced so many new things to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am addlepated! Proof: I read your last post and, having had my spring fall and broken wrist, was so sympathetic and happy you weren't seriously injured. It was all in my mind because I failed to leave a comment!! Forgive me. I was thinking about you.

    I love to give and receive books. I keep dropping hints about The Art Forger and the Jefferson book. The Morville Hours is wrapped and ready to mail off to a dear gardening friend. There will be books under the tree for The Baker and the boys. And, if I don't get busy, that will be all!! I need to decorate and bake.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Did you read "The Morville Hours"? I loved it! What a lucky friend. I do hope you receive the books on your wish list. Thank you for you kind words. Seriously my fall sounded much worse than it was. I did think of you and your wrist as I drove home. My hands were really scraped. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. Oh dear - I have just read your last post too. I'm glad to hear that you are starting to heal but it must have been a frightening and upsetting experience. Look after yourself! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Thank you I am doing well. The most disconcerting part was having to come home and tell my sweet husband. He worries so much. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Dear Bonnie - glad you are turning yellow (LOL) - sounds like you are on the mend. Your list of books looks wonderful - and I took note of them because I am just now getting serious about my Christmas list - from one last minute shopper to another - good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie...I hope we get it all finished:) Bonnie

      Delete
  6. well..you wil be all better for Christmas!!
    love your list of books...books are one of my favorite gifts to give and to get..but I am not a last minute girl....
    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie, I envy those of you who get everything finish early. My problem is I would have too much time to fret over my decisions. I'm just like that! Bonnie

      Delete
  7. It’s the hustle, the colors and music that add excitement to my last minute rush. It’s a gift to myself to partake of all the week before Christmas offers. Glad you are on the mend. And yes, there is no better gift to give or receive than a book. Enjoy your crunch time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I totally agree! I just love being out there among all the other crazy last minute shoppers. Bonnie

      Delete
  8. Glad you are doing better - hope yellow is a "good" color for you.

    Spent Saturday in Barnes and Noble getting books for all my "grand" (or is it "great"?) nieces and nephew. Sadly, I succumbed to lists from their respective mothers, so none is as lovely as the ones you chose, but all are designed to help beginning readers to learn to love .... well, reading!

    What greater gift could anyone give than the love of reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, yellow is not one of my best colors...lol! Makeup does wonders! I agree, the love of reading is a beautiful gift. And, a wonderful way to begin is with wonderful books.

      Delete
  9. Oh thanks for the reading list!!! Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle. So good to hear from you. The only way I can find you is when you comment. I follow you via email, and I am not bright enough to figure out how to comment there. Bonnie

      Delete
  10. So happy to hear you are healing . . . Love your book ideas . . . I save your posts onto my iPad in its own icon, then I have your book lists at my finger tips!

    Continue to be well . . . no more missed steps, please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have given us a nice selection of good reading. I am very interested in reading Thomas Jefferson, The Art of Power. I have seen the author on a few TV shows talking about his book and it sounds so interesting. Jefferson was a complicated man, who like many people of power, says one thing and does another.

    So glad you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting book list Bonnie. I would definitely love to get a copy of The Grand Tour. Agatha Christie grew up in my hometown in England. My father actually roller skated with her on the pier - it was apparently one of her favorite pastimes as a young person. Part of the wooden pier is still there at the harbor - the ballroom/theatre at the end burned down many years ago.

    Have a wonderful Christmas - heal fast and take care.
    I'm off to England next week - will try to get some pics of the pier etc. and my DH wants to do the Agatha Christie exhibit at our town's museum if time permits.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete