Thursday, December 6, 2012

Taking a Spill and Slightly Humbled

I had planned on posting last night.   I had an evening activity to attend.
I thought I would return home and
write about moving our evergreen into the living room
meshing memories of past years into my story.   I thought
I might share the story of the year the tree fell, fully decorated and I was left
holding it while Roger headed to the store to buy a new tree stand.


I would write about stringing the white lights.  I might have wrote we worked as a team,  Roger going one way and I go another.  The story would continue as I described the laughter that occured when we figured out we are working against one another;  Me, finally retiring to a chair to supervise and asking for more.
   

The final string is on the tree, we stand back to survey the work,  checking for clumps
and holes (I see a big hole, don't you?), wondering if we need to head to the nearest store to purchase one more string or if maybe just tweaking here and there will do the trick.


I would have told you we placed St. Nicholas on the top
of the tree just in time for the Feast of St Nicholas and how
he has topped our tree for more than two decades watching over
our Christmas celebrations.


But alas I did not have the opportunity to write last night. 
I met with my Christ Care group to put together food gifts for a
Christmas boutique to aid the St. Francis House, a mission that serves
those who are underserved.

We worked, shared and had a great time putting together beautiful containers filled with
mixes that could be turned into a meal, a beverage or a sweet treat.  
The three hours passed quickly.   When the last bottle was capped
and bow tied it was time to clean up and leave.

Everyone left.  I hung back to walk out with my friend.  She turned out all the lights.
I turned to make sure the kitchen door locked behind us.  She walked in front,
I followed chatting about this and that.  As she turned I stepped off what I thought was the last step.

My friend screamed my name, but it was too late, I was falling.  Thankfully I was holding
onto the rail.  I fell first on my knee putting out my hand to catch my fall.  I was falling down an incline and unable to stop the forward motion my face finally slid down the pavement.

She was scared...I was embarrassed and hurting.  I lay there for a moment face down.  
Finally I reached up to feel my face.  My hand hurt, my lower lip was numb and there was blood.  I thought possibly I would need to go to the hospital for stitches.  My friend began trying to call the others back to help.  I sat up with no trouble and told her I thought I was okay.  There was a little blood, a bump forming on the forehead, but no broken bones.

Needless to say when I finally made it home I was in no mood to
take out the computer and write about stringing Christmas lights.
I instead wanted to survey the damage, find the ice packs,
 and apply the neosporin.  

My friend checked on me last evening and tonight.  And as I told her,
I have a couple of scuff marks on my face
along with a little bump.  I lost a bit of skin on my hand
 and my knees and I am feeling a bit humbled.

Also, I am blessed there are no broken bones or teeth and that I had a caring
 and attentive friend who cared for me.

Moral of the story?
Watch out for the bottom step it plays hide and seek in the dark and you
might find yourself sliding face first down the cement.

Seriously friends, all is well that ends well.
Be careful out there friends.

Sorry, no time to edit...
Roger brought home more lights.  I must go supervise.


    

19 comments:

  1. Scary story, Bonnie. I'm so glad you walked away with just a few bumps and bruises. I did the same thing on the last stair going to the subway last year. Sometimes I think you injure yourself more trying to stop yourself from falling...and embarrassing yourself. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you're okay...how scary though. I hope the bumps and bruises don't stay long. Enjoy the tree and the lights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell this summer. I did not see a raised crack in the sidewalk. I fell like you to my knees and then face first on to the sidewalk. My face was a mess. I just last week started jogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, so sorry this accident happened, thankfully no broken bones, or permanent scars hopefully - Neosporin is always such a useful, friendly little tube to keep close by, and I never, ever travel anywhere without one in my bag!

    Heal quickly and mind that last step........I know I will heed your warning.

    Hugs - be well soon. - Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do hope you are okay. Sometimes twenty four hours brings more discomfort. I agree, watch out for those steps! Maybe your husband can string the lights this time and you can supervise!
    My caring . . . Love, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad youarebasically ok. Falling gets scarier as we get ... er, older. Seems like we dnt bounce as wel as before. Know the tree will be lovely ... with proper supervision. Take plenty of advil. You may feel worse tomorrow. Good lu ck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no!! I was in the ER Monday because I tripped over the cat in the dark and hurt my neck. I am okay and thankful that you are okay!! Didn't it make you think about the little kids who are constantly falling down and just don't seem to think a thing about it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me gasping as I read this. Glad it wasn't worse, but so sorry you took that fall and got scraped up. Falling is a scary thing as we get older. I'm such a Klutz, I'm convinced I'm going to leave this world by falling down stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bonnie - I am truly sorry about your accident - not only hurt but humbled as well. I am glad nothing broken but I a sure you have a few aches and pains. Take care and I will stop back to hear about all your lovely Christmas stories later - really would have liked to seen you standing holding the tree when hubby ran to store to get new tree stand. Take care my friend and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Bonnie, I was in fear for your face, when I read you FELL on it.. I cringed. Thank goodness it was not serious. And there you were all night long, doing good deeds! The tree isn't going anywhere, so you have time to recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Bonnie. I hope this nasty spill is not added to your annual traditions. It's magic indeed to set the topper in place, to sit back and enjoy the sense of peace. Truly, I didn't see an empty space on your tree. I saw all the glory of repeated tradition. May you be well and enjoy all this season has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You poor darling. I hope you are able to stretch out on the sofa, warm and cosy, as you admire your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! I'm so sorry you were hurt and so thankful it wasn't serious and you are ok. We wouldn't know what to do without our Miss Bonnie's smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH NO, Bonnie. You had a "Teresa" moment. Many call me Grace, lol. It is embarrassing when things like this happen. I am so glad your ok and have no broken bones. Can't wait to see that Christmas tree. I LOVE a real tree and still say that I will have one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about your fall, but I am glad it was not too serious and nothing broken. We've all done it at one time or another when we were not paying attention. I did something similar going off a sidewalk curb and did a number on my knee. Hope you will spend the remainder of the weekend resting and supervising from the sofa. Ibuprofen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would say "no good deed goes unpunished" but that would be unkind ;)))

    i am so happy to know that you are o.k., so i could make a little joke and perhaps make you smile. even though it may hurt!!

    our trees fell many times, many years. chuck got smart and started tieing it to the handle of the sliding glass door. problem solved!!

    it looks like a lovely tree, i hope it (and you) remain upright!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, so happy you are ok! A similar thing happened to me the other night, here at home. Cooking dinner for myself and my husbandI I stupidly grasped a pan that had been under the broiler and got a pretty bad burn. It was scary and shook me up. You just never know what dangers are lurking out there. Yes, let's all be careful during this hectic holiday season when we are all rushing around. Thank goodness you are ok but a little shaken I am sure! And congratulations on a job well done for the organization that helps the needy. And your tree is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Bonnie

    I am sorry to read of your fall but delighted to hear you are on the mend.

    Wishing you a great week and complete healing
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, Bonnie. I am so sorry as not only your pride was injured (been there), but it sounds like you are in pain and will probably be I feeling stiff for awhile. I hope it will be a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete