Monday, January 16, 2012

A Stranger in Lund



My last full day in Lund begin at MorMor's Bageri with my croissant and a cup of coffee.  I sat at what had become "my" window and spent time watching the locals on their way to work, to shop, to the train.   I knew the direction I would head, but had not even the inkling of the day awaiting me.

I walked several blocks getting the lay of the town and finding landmarks to use to help me find my way.   While exploring I happened upon the University.  I ran into a couple of young mothers whom I had watched the morning before in the Bageri.  They seemed to recognize me as well, making me feel a little less out of place.


Walking through the University I happened upon the Botaniska  Tradqarden.   The gate was open and the sign indicated it was free and open to the public.  I had found a spot to spend time and roam before heading back for lunch.  I had no idea what awaited me or that my next meal would in fact be supper.

I entered the gate and was immediately welcomed by the most playful set of red squirrels.


One would throw pinecones at me, while the other would scamper down the pine tree to gather and return the ammunition for further attacks.  We began a game of hide and seek.  Them hiding and my seeking to take a good picture of my assailants.  They pretty much won, and I happily continued my journey down the garden path.

There was much to see.  There was still a lot that was green, but as one might expect in December, the garden was in the process of putting itself to sleep for the winter.   The trees had shed leaves along the paths leaving a natural alarm of anyone coming near.


 I began making my way toward what I suspected was a greenhouse, finding amazing things around each turn.  As I made what I thought to be my last turn I thought I saw a tree in bloom.  How could a tree bloom when the days are so short and where the weather so damp and cold?  Amazing!

The tree was among others just like it, but appeared to be the only one blooming.  Trying to stay on the path, just as the sign at the gate had instructed, I began contorting to try to get a fabulous picture.


I took several before looking up to find a woman silently standing quite near me.  Her arms crossed at her chest and staring at me with what I can only describe as an angry scowl.  I smiled and went back to trying to capture the perfect photograph of this beautiful winter bloom.  I glanced back in her direction...she had not moved.  Instinctively I glanced down to see where I was standing...on the path...I'm good.    I wasn't touching the tree, just innocently trying to take a picture.

I lowered my camera and looked at her.  She began speaking to me in a harsh voice.  I smiled, held up my hands and shrugging said, "I'm so sorry, I speak English".
(I will continue this story mostly in dialogue, no matter how poorly)

Without changing positions she ask, "You do not work here?"

"No, ma'am, I do not.  I am just visiting the lovely gardens and enjoying looking at all the plants resting.  Do you work here?"

No longer with crossed arms, but using her hands to help her talk and shaking her head, "Oh, that is difficult question.  No, no, no.  I do not work here.  I worked for fifteen years here and now I come everyday to watch over the garden.  People, people bring dogs and let them....they let them, they let them"

"They let them go to the bathroom and they don't pick up after them?"  nodding to show I understood.

"Yes!  And, and they bring children and do not watch them.  They allow them to pick the flowers."

"I know, I am so sorry.  I really was not going to pick a flower.  I just find it odd to find a tree in bloom now.  I really just wanted to take a picture."

"I work here fifteen years.  I take care of this garden",  pointing the orchard with the arbors of dying vines, leafless trees and one bloom laden tree, "they call this Anna's garden".

I felt myself relax and take in a deep breath, "Oh my, and you are Anna, aren't you?"

Standing up straight and lifting her chin and still speaking suspiciously, "Yes, I am Anna.  What is your name?"

I told her my name and that I was visiting from the United States.  As we talked the sun moved.  She never allowed the sun to touch her.  She physically moved me several times to be between her and the sun.  (It is the time of year when the sun pretty much moves just around the horizon).

My feet cold and becoming numb in my boots, and looking for a way to end my encounter I ask,  "Anna may I take your picture in your garden?"

"NO, No, No, Anna ugly.  Anna too ugly to take picture of.  NO, no, no!"

I am not looking at an ugly woman.  She is dressed nicely.  She wears a full length leather coat with shearling lining, black hat and black boots.  She looks almost distinguished to me.

I hold up my hand to stop her protesting.  "I understand.  I will not ask again, but, Anna, you are not ugly."

"A am ugly.  Everyone say, Anna, you are dumb and ugly.  You are nobody."

"Anna, are you from Sweden?"

"No, No, No.  I am, I am what you know of, as, from White Russia?"

Nodding and no longer worrying over cold toes, I knew I wanted to stay planted right in that spot.

"How long have you been here?"

"I came as a small child.  My parents were what you call.." motioning with her hand, "what you call aristocracy.  We had to escape and I was lost. I was raised in a convent by a Monk and Nuns.  They tell me I am stupid and possessed by the devil."

"Oh Anna,  I am sorry.  People can be so cruel in God's name".

"They tell me, Anna you are stupid and cannot learn.  They did not feed me much.  All I knew to do was to study.  I studied more and more and more.  They tell me I can not learn and I study more.  Then I come here to teach."

Anna and I talked for several hours.  She told me so much of her life.   So many things we agreed upon.  Unknowingly, I suppose, she answered questions I have been battling lately.   We talked of where we find God and hopes of heaven.  We talked of education.  We talked of gardening.   She told me some of the horrors she endured growing up in a convent.  The sun moved as we talked and she continued to reposition me.

She told me she works hard to do good things.  She wants to go to heaven.  She was taking care of a dying friend when she told the woman's Priest going to church made her stressful.  He told her to plant a garden.

"Anna?  Have you ever thought of putting your story on paper?"

"Oh,h,h,h everyone wants Anna to put her story on paper.  It is too, too sad.  No one want to read sad, sad story of Anna."

"Anna, it is getting late and I need to find my way back to the hotel"

"When do you leave?"

Now feeling sad, "Oh, Anna, I leave tomorrow afternoon."

"Oh, this is bad, bad, bad.  Will you come back to see Anna?  Will you come when garden in is beautiful again?"

Knowing, I will probably never have the opportunity to visit Lund again, "Anna, I would love to see your garden in full bloom, but gardens are beautiful in a different way in the winter.  God doesn't make ugly.  And I have so enjoyed visiting your garden today".

"You must come back!  Anna has things to tell you.  Things both personal and more things you need to know.  You must come back to see Anna."

"Anna, I only hope I can.  I do have to leave now though.  Thank you so much talking with me.  I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed our time together."

Anna grabbed me in what I can only describe as a bear hug and began kissing my right cheek.  Instinctively I hugged back with equal fervor and kissed her cheek.  I whispered in her ear..."Anna you are not ugly, you are beautiful".  She released me and I felt a loss.

We walked to the end of the path and turned in opposite directions.  I immediately turned to take a picture of her walking away.  She had vanished as quickly and quietly as she had appeared.  I walked around the area trying to catch a glimpse of her.  She was no where to be seen.  I felt like the breath had been knocked out of me.  It was then I realized my face was wet with tears.



While finding my way back to the hotel I made the decision I would wake up early the next morning, run over to MorMor's to buy rolls or sandwiches and head back to Anna's garden and wait to see if she would come back.

I awoke my last morning to an even colder and windier day and pouring rain.   I did not return.


I have tried to tell as much as possible without embellishing of my encounter.  Immediately upon returning to my hotel, I wrote down everything that passed between Anna and I.  














23 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    What a strange encounter. So many questions still to be answered and yet so much learned and shared in a short time together. What a beautiful place and such a fascinating dialogue with Anna, perhaps it will be possible for you to research more?

    The tree/shrub looks to us to be a form of Viburnum. They are such lovely winter flowering plants and many of them have such marvellous fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, I agree there are answers to be found. I am hoping to do some research. I would like to find, at least an approximate, timeline. I did think of going to the administrative offices of the gardens. I have to be honest, it crossed my mind they would tell me Anna was deceased. Her timing....the things she shared with me. I am truly not a superstitious person.

      Thank you for the suggestion on the plant. I do, now that you mention it, remember seeing signage on several specimens in a different area that indicated they were a Viburnum.

      Delete
  2. Oh sweet Bonnie, God planted you in Anna's garden just to let her know how beautiful she really is. He used you to plant a seed of courage and hope in this beautiful ladies life.

    I'm sure you'll carry this meetin' in your heart forever.

    Thank you so much for sharin' this wonderful story sweetie.

    God bless ya and have a fantastic week!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nezzy, It is I who was in need of Anna. I think she was my angel although she may have had tattered wings. She told me of strength and perseverance. So good to hear from you. Thank you! Bonnie

      Delete
  3. Wow Bonnie, what an amazing story. Aren't you glad you wrote it down?..I have a feeling this one will stay you for a long time. Have you ever wondered why things like this happen to us...my sister would say it is a sign and encounters like this have a special meaning. I don't know that I can look as deeply into it but I agree that when we encounter situations like this, it does stop and make us think and as you say, it takes our breath away.

    Thanks for sharing...I love your photos too!!

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, Yes, Anna will stay with me, I believe, forever. It sounds like your sister and I would get along quite nicely. I do believe people are put in our path for a reason. We just have to be open to receive.

      Thanks for stopping by and for sending Helen over to visit. I can't wait to visit with her. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  4. Hello Bonnie,
    Wonderful words of yours, so amazing. I hope one day you will be able to visit again. I am sure you made Anna very happy...Wishing you a beautiful week!...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,

      I cannot describe the impact Anna had on me during that short afternoon. Some may say she needed someone to talk with. I say I needed someone to listen to and learn from. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Oh wow Bonnie, this was an amazing post. It had me almost in tears. Poor Anna, people can be so cruel. I hope one day you can go back when everything is in bloom..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful it would be to visit when everything is in full bloom. I truly believe I could learn so much from Anna. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  6. A rare encounter that makes our lives feel so worthwhile, right?

    I loved your story.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane. Anna was an amazing woman who used obstacles to make her stronger. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. A chance encounter, an awkward conversation, a memorable experience.

    Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.
    Arleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, It was an encounter I will remember for a lifetime. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  8. Hello Bonnie

    I am happy to find your blog, through Jeanne @ Collage of Life. Jeanne felt their were similarities to you post and my current post. I invite you to visit me.

    What a glorious story. It must have felt like a dream to you when you returned to your hotel. I do believe you gave Anna some hope and joy.

    I am your new follower and look forward to knowing you.

    Helentilstonpainter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen, Welcome! I am so glad to meet you and look forward to heading your way for a visit.

    I must be honest and say I did question everything about my visit with Anna. She gave more to me than I could have possibly given in return. It was amazing and something I will carry with me always.

    Again, thank you for joining me here. I will see you soon. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You never know where you'll meet someone that will touch your life. I bet Anna was happy to have someone that would listen to her talk and offer such kind words in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, My husband would probably say if there is a person around with a story I will find them. Anna filled my heart with such joy. Thanks for reading! Bonnie

      Delete
  11. Dear Bonnie, there is a very special quality to this story, and you have told it so well. I hope that you will be able to do some research on the garden and its occupant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, Thank you for you kind words. I have done just a small amount of research and have found very little. I do plan on doing more as time permits. Anna left a deep mark on my heart. Bonnie

      Delete
  12. What an incredible encounter you had with Anna. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Beth, it was a very special meeting. Thank you for reading. Bonnie

      Delete
  13. You write beautifully! I am a bit of a speed reader and often find I hurry through a piece just to glean the facts, if that makes any sense.....

    With this posting, I found myself slowing down and relishing each word.

    Thank you,

    RaShell

    ReplyDelete