Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lund, Sweden


Lund, Sweden has never been on my "must visit" list.  In fact, until this past summer I had never heard of Lund.  You mention Sweden...I think Stockholm.  You ask, "Do you want to go to Sweden?  I will say, "Sure, let's go this next summer".  Opportunities do not always allow one to be so selective.  The first week in December we left our home headed for the charming village of Lund, Sweden.


Lund is about a 45 minute train ride from Copenhagen, Denmark.  Taken by the Swedes in the 17th Century it was founded by the Danes around 1000.  Much of medieval Lund remains including the  beautiful cobblestone streets.


The days were windy, cold, and short.  The sun traveled along the horizon, giving me only about four and a half hours to explore.  You know I never have a plan.  I simply start walking in a general direction and find the most amazing things.




The Domkyrkan, the Lutheran cathedral, built in the 12th century in the Romanesque style making Lund the seat of the largest archbishopric in Europe.





Walking through the cathedral you can't miss this beautiful astronomical clock.   It strikes twice a day during the week and on Sunday.


The three kings emerge  to begin their travels in search of the baby Jesus.

I couldn't leave without taking the stairs down into the crypt.  It was damp and dark.  (I benefitted from strategically placed lights.)


The main alter near the tomb of Archbishop Birger Gunnersen designed in 1510.



The crypt was consecrated in 1123 and has remained mostly untouched Those buried under Domkyrkan include the Archbishop Asser and Anders Sunesen It is said to be the burial site of Fionn mac Cumhaill an Irish hero appearing in Joyce's "Finnigan's Wake" and in Irish and Scottish mythology.

All of the historic information came from various sources found through the tourist offices in Lund.

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I also would have gone down to the crypt. So old, so mysterious, so creepy. I love all that stuff.

    Lund looks like a lovely city and you took great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old architecture and find the cobblestone streets so charming. We don't have much in the way of historical towns or cities here in California. But my husband and I love to stroll through old cemeteries. We just love looking at the old headstones and the peace you find there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful opportunity! I see photography like yours, Bonnie, and I want to travel again. :)
    Wishing you a lovely week,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuzu, Always good to hear from you. I'm ready...let's go find an adventure.

      Delete
  4. Arleen, Thank you so much. Yes, I am a hugh fan of the dark and dank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, I, too, am drawn to ancient architecture. Visiting areas considered medieval puts our country's youth in perspective, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures - that Cathedral is absolutely stunning inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful city! I've never been fortunate enough to visit Lund, and I loved exploring it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post makes me long to go back to Europe! What beautiful places you were able to visit in Lund. I've never been to Sweden, but I hope to get there one day.

    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, I truly appreciate it.

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Lund either but it looks charming. I think it's good to go where life takes you at times. It really takes me courage to enter a dark crypt. I have a fear that the lights might fail!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete