Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Groundhog Day

Photo: A groundhog sitting in the grass
image via National Geographic
February.

You just have to love the month of February.  No other month do we anxiously await the appearance of a rather rotund rodent,  shower our sweethearts with sugar,  party with dead presidents and sometimes end the month with a carnival named "Fat Tuesday" before we dive into forty days of contemplation and meditation.

Last night I reminded Roger Thursday is Groundhog Day.  He look at me with a blank stare.  He said, "I honestly never think of Groundhog Day until you say something about it".  Seriously?  Groundhog Day is one of my favorite holidays.  It is the day I await all winter.  I wake up early just to find out if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow.  Will we have six more weeks of winter or an early spring?  Never mind my man Phil lives in Pennsylvania, and I am here in the south.  I depend on him each year to forecast Spring's arrival.  I need someone more reliable than the local meteorologist. 

Tomorrow, in my classroom, we will be cutting and gluing, constructing our own groundhogs.  We will talk a little about the animal and how shadows are made.  Thursday morning we will take our little fellows outside to check out our own shadows.  We will work a little on fine motor skills and  maybe, learn a little science.  For certain we will use our imagination and have fun, rain or shine.  .

Phil...Please see your shadow.  We've really have not had much of a winter, and  I would really love to have a snow day.  I'm not greedy.  Just one.  Think of children laughing and having a great time playing in the snow.  A day to curl up by the fire with a book and not feel guilty.   I'm giving you a day to think about it.  I'll share my valentine treats with you; you don't seem to be too concerned with your waistline.  I promise I will keep Groundhog Day in my heart throughout the year (oops, wrong holiday).  Phil, seriously, you really are my favorite.  I'm counting on you big guy!


20 comments:

  1. I have been so happy this winter because we have only had a smattering of snow. Now I feel guilty. No snow days for children, no snowballs to throw at each other, no sledding, no snow angels, how selfish of me to enjoy this mild season. Ok, I will hope along with you that Phil sees his shadow - but no six weeks, just one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! I hope you get your wish.

    You sure make me miss working in kindergarten....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Groundhog Day party would be an excellent idea. I hope you get your snow day. We are having a string of lovely, sunny days. This time last year, many people were stranded on Lakeshore Drive overnight buried under many feet of snow. What a difference a year makes.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day and lesson for the kids. I don't ever remember learning about groundhog day when I was in school. I'm sure the kids love you!

    I'm waiting for a snow day too. More so, I'm worried about the plants and animals who must be so confused. I need a pretty snowfall about now! :)

    Happy early Groundhog's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, being a Southerner, too, I am not sure that you and I are actually entitled to any thoughts about Phil and his prophecy, but ...

    Mother always told us that if he sees his shadow we will have 6 more weeks of winter, but if not (drumroll here) only 40 days! Well, she was a Southerner, too.

    (Wonder why I instinctively capitalized "southerner"?) A mystery for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute post Bonnie! You're students are going to have so much fun and fond memories of groundhog day for the rest of their lives. I'm worried your wish will come true and all the flowering plants are going to get burned by the snap and then our spring won't be as colorful. Happy Groundhog day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Bonnie:
    What a fun idea to brighten up a dreary February day. For certain, your pupils will remember Groundhog Day in future.

    Surely too late now for six weeks of snow?......although Arctic conditions here in the UK after weeks of spring weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just did a post on Groundhog Day, too! I loved your post. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Love this. Sounds like the kids will be having a ball tomorrow, Bonnie!

    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one prayer I never say. I've got to get out and do chores in the snow...I always pray that Phil will not see the shadow.

    Have ya noticed we always have at least six weeks of winter no matter. 'Just sayin'......

    Have fun with you class sweetie!!!

    God bless ya :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arleen, I'm not asking for six weeks either. Just one day maybe two. I am seriously beginning to doubt even a dusting. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, Last year was a strange year for us. We were out more days than normal. This year they built in extra days and have yet to use any. I suppose this year is equally odd. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, you and I think a lot alike. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Webb,

    I think Southerner can be capitalized. We use it as a title...

    I suspect I am a bit further south than you. I'm just asking for a couple of days before the oppressive heat sets in. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie, I, too, have so many plants ready to burst into bloom. I have "heard" if they are not in full bloom they are safe. I have left all my plant covering on (evergreen boughs) even though the temperatures have been so mild.

    I think of you so often, because I have tons of monkey grass in my yard. I am guessing I will need to trim it early this year before the new growth gets too high.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane and Lance, I only recently heard of your sudden cold snap. I hope it is short lived if it is what you are wishing for. Oh, I would not want six weeks of snow. A couple of days would be nice.

    Living in the southern part of the US, we do not have the equipment to keep all the streets and roads cleared. We pretty much shut down for a few days, depending on how much snow or ice we get. It is rather nice to be forced to stay in for a few days. I also love watching the neighborhood children playing out in the snow. They usually treat me with a small snowman in my front yard.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nezzy, Here it is the opposite. It seems it just gets hot here just around April, no matter what. Always good to have you visit. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha....i always loved snow days when my boys were younger, an "extra, unexpected" day off!!

    we live on a hill, perfect for sledding...oh the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like Phil heard you! Happy 6 more weeks of winter (and thank goodness, because boy-oh-boy do we ever need the moisture)!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comment on my blog! We have had snow in London for the first time, it was fascinating for me because I was taking photos with my iphone all the way back through London, as we slipped and slid along the roads very slowly - it was falling really fast and they hadn't gritted minor roads. Poor old hubby did not have the chance to enjoy it as he was driving. But there really is something utterly magic about it. The pictures were truly weird, something about the way the iphone camera works made them come out like paintings....

    ReplyDelete