Wednesday, January 25, 2012

China, Dragons and...Big Bird?


Today is the third day of the Chinese New Year.  It is the year of the Dragon.  I have always been fascinated  by the Chinese New Year.  I really have no reason for this interest other than I love celebrations and I am naturally curious about traditions other than my own.  Which, if you think of it, fits in with the sign I was born under....the horse.

In recognition of this Chinese New Year,  Spring Festival,  I thought I might highlight three of my favorite books related to China.


The Painted VeilWomen of the Silk: A NovelShanghai Girls



Monday, after talking to my children about the Chinese New Year, I went in search for a book to share with them.  I couldn't immediately find anything on Chinese New Year, but I found a fabulous book about dragons.


Where Did All the Dragons Go - Pbk

This beautiful poem written by Fay Robinson and illustrated by Victor Lee tells the story of the dragons.  The dragon was feared by adults, "but children always understood that dragons in their hearts were good".

One night the leader's voice is heard to say, "Now's the time".  The dragons fly away.

"Where did all the dragons go?
The smartest scholars still don't know.
But the next time there's a thunderstorm,
watch the smoky gray clouds form,
watch the lightning flash its light,
hear the thunder in the night."

Are they lurking just beyond?

If you haven't picked up a children's book lately, check this one out.  The story is lyrical and the illustrations are beautiful.

When my daughter was a pre-schooler we loved Sesame Street and anything having to do with Big Bird.  I'm not for sure who enjoyed the show more.  One of our favorite movies was "Big Bird goes to China".   There was a song from the movie that has stuck with me through the years.  I've been singing it all week.  (I hope I have all the spellings correct, and I'm sorry I am not able to show all the accent marks above the letters.  I am sure they are in my computer somewhere.)

Ni Hao, Ni Hao that means hello, and
Good bye, Zai jian, Zai jain I have to go.
And if you want to say I love you
Say Wa ai ni,
Wa ai ni, I love you Zai jian.

And so tonight,

Wa ai ni, I love you Zai jian.

Happy Chinese New Year!

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. Happy Chinese New Year to you. I bet your students enjoyed the beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of my blogging friends are celebrating the Chinese New Year and I'm enjoying the "party". I keep remembering "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" when thinking of both China and friendship.

    My book group, The Muses, meet at my home this evening. We are discussing "The Warmth of Other Suns". It is an excellent book that is both easy and difficult to read.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now, reading a book causes me great eye strain so I am having some surgery in late February. The doctor has promised me great improvement and I am looking forward to reading again. I have always loved books about the East, having been introduced to them in my youth by Pearl Buck.
    I will add those you mentioned to my list of future reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book suggestion. I am going to add it to my list of books to check into. I'm longing some a block of reading time. I ran by the library on the way home. Have fun tonight. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arleen, Do enjoy audio books at all? I know all will go well in February and we will discussing favorite books. Keep me posted. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Chinese New Year! I haven't read any of those books, but they look terrific. When we visited our friends in Beijing, we all learned to say Ni Hao (and a few other phrases that I can't remember)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today...we really do have quite a bit in common! And I took a peek at some of your previous post and saw your lovely knitting....you are much more accomplished then I am...I am determined to get there one day! I just recieved a book on knitting today from Amazon.com, so hopefully that will help me in my efforts to move forward. Love your blog and so glad to meet a TN and LA friend!
    Layne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth...you have such wonderful travels. You learn Ni Hao in Beijing....I learned it from watching Big Bird....Well:) Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Layne, We all start somewhere. With knitting you just have to stay with it. Don't be afraid of ripping it all out and starting over, and don't get discouraged. You will soon pick up a rhythm. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I still run in and ask, "what did I do wrong". Finding a good reference book is ideal. If I can answer any questions let me know. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a friend living in S.F. in the early 80s, and he invited several of us to his home & then to the Chinese New Year celebration. He knew just where to go to see everything up close. I will never forget it - magical!!!
    Thank you for sharing these books with us - and Happy Chinese New Year to you too!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an interesting post, i have not read any of those books (you know me, you know that!!)

    i love any kind of celebration..if there's a party, I've got my pants on!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Shanghai Girls sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I think I may start it soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the mention of the books. I have read all of Lisa See's and will be checking out the others from your list. Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zuzu...Lucky girl...San Francisco hosts the largest Chinese New Year's parade outside of China. We lived just over the mountain on the east bay, but never had the good fortune to attend.

    Lana...I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete