Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"My Grownup Christmas List"


Do you remember Me
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies

Well, I'm all grown up now
And still need help somehow
I'm not a child
But my heart still believes

As children we believed
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely
Wrapped beneath our tree

Well heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul

What is this illusion called
 The innocence of youth
Maybe only in our belief
Can we ever find the truth

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown up Christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end.

This is my grown up Christmas list
This is my only life long wish

Lyrics by David Foster
                 Linda Thompson

This year while rushing from one place to another trying to fit everything in the little time there is, 

let's slow down and breathe...
 slow down and share a smile... 
slow down and let someone in front of you...
slow down and give someone the gift of your time...
slow down and drop a coin or two in the red kettles.

Enjoy this season of Advent!





8 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Bonnie and so YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,
    You and these words are so beautiful. I read them over and over...and I'm going to print this out and put it on my refrigerator to read everyday. I wish everyone would slow down and put more thought into the gifts of time, family, life and take care of those less fortunate. I am so fortunate and my heart breaks for those who need so much.
    Thank you for taking the time to remind us all what this season is really all about.

    Happy Advent! xo
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. you always share such sweet, thoughtful words!!

    "when i was young, i used to admire intelligent people. as i grow older, i admire kind people"!!

    you are so kind bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem - certainly makes you stop and think. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such kind and wise words, Bonnie. Definately something we should all put more thought into. I said it the other day, and will say it again, those children are so fortunate to have you as a teacher! You may be the only good that some of them are ever around, and what a wonderful influence you must have on their little lives. I know the above has nothing to do with your day job, but I can't help but think what a wonderful person/teacher you are when I stop by here, because there is always something so kind on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post. Reading this slowly is so much more meaningful than listening to the song on the radio in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful song that is and your sentiment is my goal for this Christmas season. Breathe and remember why...Your photos and blog are beautiful. I'm so glad I stopped over and I will be back often. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I simply love this song!!!

    You enjoy the season to the fullest too sweetie!

    God bless and have a marvelous weekend! :o)

    ReplyDelete