Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Pray-er

“If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!”
                --Shel Silverstein



I was recently given the assignment to select one word that describes me and write about it.  At first this sounded so simple, but in my usual fashion I spent a little too much time dwelling over it.  I wear many badges.  I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a teacher, a friend....you get my point.  The word that returned to me most often and a word I've never used to describe myself was pray-er, a person that prays.  I questioned if it was really a word...it is...I looked it up.  It is seldom used, but it is a word.

When I think of a pray-er I most often think of the painting of a child kneeling beside the bed, hands clasped with fingers pointing upward and head bowed.  Or that of a man giving thanks over a loaf of bread.  Both are inspiring visions.

I've ofter heard we should find a time and place to spend a moment with our Creator in quiet meditation.  It is a pleasant thought.


I was in the second grade when a Sunday School teacher become quite upset with me because I add "thank you God for the birds that sing" to the end of a chain prayer.  I was told it was inappropriate and I should find something more serious to pray about or for.   My feelings were so hurt I bolted from the room.  It was the moment I became a pray-er...a silent pray-er.

Several weeks ago I was passing snack to my children when I noticed a child crying.  I ask what was wrong and several children chimed in to say the child had eaten before we said the blessing.   The child, through tears, said, "I'm sorry, I forgot".    I had just set the bag of crackers down on the counter.  I reached over took out a couple of the bite-sized crackers and ate them.  The children looked at me silently with wide eyes.  I immediately placed my hand over my mouth and said, "Oh my I just ate a cracker".  I continued to explain that God doesn't care when we give thanks.  He only ask us to give thanks.  My tearful friend was now giggling and everyone else was hushed.


I don't have a special prayer formula.  I don't have a set of special words.  I don't have a special place to sit.  And I certainly do not have any special gifts.   It is just something I find myself doing more often than not.  Most often I am not in a quiet place.  I pretty much have an ongoing dialogue and I ask a lot of "why" questions.  To some my prayers may even seem irreverent.  I once ask God to give me a sign to let me know what to do.  Not a subtle sign (I'm not very good with subtleties), but please just hit me over the head with it.

I can't look out over the ocean, sit across from my family, go to bed with a roof over my head, face the morning without first giving thanks and asking for direction and help.

I often think of my second grade Sunday School teacher and wonder how she would feel about my prayers.  I wonder what she would think of one of my favorite children's prayers.

Oh, the Lord is good to me
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun and the rain
And the apple seed.
Oh, the Lord is good to me.

And yes, I still thank God for the birds that sing.

I'm also a magic bean buyer, but that is a story for another day.

18 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    Thank you for sharing these very personal thoughts with us all. We are great believers in the power of prayer.

    Jó hétvégét.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, so beautifully said.
    You're right, I believe, God doesn't reward us for sophisticated or 'correct' prayers, He wants to know how sincere we are.
    The children you supervise are benefiting greatly from your honesty, from seeing you be real rather than 'right'.
    I believe what God doesn't like is hypocrisy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear, dear Bonnie: Thank you so much for this beautiful entry. I feel so ashamed of the teacher that said that to you so many years ago! I am so proud of YOU for teaching your little one the real meaning of prayer and faith. I believe God wants us to talk to him like to do to a friend across the kitchen table.

    Thank you for blessing my day, Bonnie. May God Bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! I am a silent pray er. I'm an all-day pray er. I once tried to keep track of how many prayers I offered up in a day. It was impossible. A news item will illicit a prayer. A small dog wandering in the rain will be lifted up. I do always know that God is right there listening just to me.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most wonderful story, Bonnie. Wow, what a great teacher you are. Our innocent little children need more teachers like you, and less of the one that you had. I betcha this is something this little child will remember forever, just like you do about the one who scolded you. One big difference tho, you made a huge, positive impact on this child. Again, love the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, What a lovely post. And, could there be a better thing to be than a "prayer"--I don't think so. Beautiful photos with lovely reflections-something worthy of thanking God for in our prayers. I'm anxious to hear the magic bean buying story!!! Have a lovely weekend. Mickie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That`s pretty much how I pray too, Bonnie, like I`m talking to an old friend.

    And the magic beans ... I`m trying to wean myself, lol!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post. Traditional prayers are nice, but I think to pray spontaneously is the best and most sincere way. I have often asked Him to "hit me on the head" with obvious insights; so often we are involved in the world around us and do not listen to that Still Voice. I truly believe that "unless you come to Him as a little child" phrase. And yes, we should thank Him for the birds that sing, because He created them and everything in this world just for us, His children. What a great response you gave to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am no longer very religious, but still say the prayer to St Francis. I think they are the most beautiful words ever spoken; "....grant that I may not seek to be consoled, as to console, to be understood, as to understand, to be loved, as to love. For it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoning .....

    A very lovely post from what I can see from your blog, a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, I'm still trying to find the vendor who sold magic beans to Jack... Thank you for you comments. Have a wonderful weekend! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arleen, Thank you so much for your kind comments. Yes, the prayer of St. Francis is beautiful. Religion/religious are words I seldom use. I personally prefer spiritual. I am more comforted and most at peace in the garden or standing at the edge of the ocean surrounded by God's creations than brick and mortar. Have a wonderful weekend. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come on, you tease, tell me about magic beans. (Have I told you how much your character shines out from your postings? I wish you were living next door.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosemary, Your are so kind. I would adore being your next door neighbor. Well... about the magic beans...... Again, thank you so much! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, The more we communicate the more I find we have in common. It seems more than just our first and middle names. We really need to meet face to face. Have a terrific weekend. Always good to hear from you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely word to describe yourself. That was a nice lesson you gave the crying child, and how different from the lesson your Sunday School teacher gave you. There are so many ways in which we can pray, and every way that is sincere leads us to God.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post! I don't know if the word pray-er has ever crossed my mind, but I love it and you did a fantastic job describing yourself. I love the story of the little one from school. My mama was one who believed that your prayers are yours and Gods, special and between the two of you. For her the best place to talk to Him was in the woods on the property where I grew up. I am a silent pray-er as well.
    And I adore Shel Silverstein's work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are such a thoughtful, kind hearted soul!! teaching the next generation is such an important responsibility. you are doing it with beauty and grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, I've already been to this post and told you how lovely the photos are and how much I like your writing, but I just wanted to come back and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and a year filled with many blessings. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete