Sunday, November 13, 2011

This Mother's Heart

“You can't stop time. You can't capture light. 
You can only turn your face up and let it rain down.” 
                                                                                          --Kim Edwards The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Child's Bath, c. 1893
Mary Cassatt
This mother's heart is grateful!  I had the chance to talk, laugh, and reminisce with my delightful child, who is now a grown woman.

Friday evening we had a fabulous dinner out, just the two of us.  We chatted and planned the few hours we would share (she was home to attend a wedding).  We returned home, donned our pajamas, curled up on the sofa talking and giggling awaiting Roger's late return home from Boston.

Shoe Shop, c. 1911
Elizabeth Sparhawk Jones

Saturday after breakfast we needed a bit of spa time.   Later in the afternoon the three of us headed out to do some wallet damage with her daddy.  Once home we gathered in the kitchen to prepare her requested "Daddy's gilled steak" dinner.  Heather assembled a cheese platter, I roasted winter vegetables and brussel sprouts and Roger tended the grill.  We set the dining room table with linens and silver, but all was overshadowed by the conversation, laughter and love present.

This morning I woke early with aching heart; I knew it would soon be time to release her once again to return to her husband and the life they have built together.    And, that is how it should be.

As I sat alone watching the sun rise and waiting to hear movement upstairs, I couldn't help but think of wise Charlotte (Charlotte's Web, E.B. White) describing her egg sac to Wilber.  She told him it was her magnum opus.   And I agree with Charlotte, everything dims in the presence of my child,  she is my masterpiece.  She is my heart.

Life is returning to what it has been.  Tomorrow morning I will jump out of bed and ready myself for school.  I will head downstairs to send a quick email for her to open when she arrives at her desk.  It will begin as always "I am running late".  Tomorrow evening we will chat a time or two, and I will have a joyful heart.

The Bedroom, c. 1889
Vincent van Gogh

One day though...we will live closer together.....a mother's hopeful heart.

pictures of artwork taken
 on my earlier trip to Chicago  

21 comments:

  1. What a lovely post--and every word is true, true, true. I love the line "she is my masterpiece". There is nothing like Mother-Daughter love. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    The love and joy which is so evident in this post makes it an absolute delight for all those of us fortunate to be able to share it.

    What a wonderful weekend you have had with your 'magnum opus'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with your daughter - sounds like you get along great together.
    My oldest daughter is 22 and I am dreading the day they all decide to fly the nest. But I'll not think about it today!!!
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bonnie...this was absolutey beautiful. It expresses so well the love between a mother a daughter which is like no other love.

    I am so glad you had a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. I know the joy of having a beloved child visit--the sweet anticipation of their arrival and the heavy heart of their leaving is so familiar. I start planning the next visit as soon as they/we leave. Enjoy the memories until next time.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I love this post. We share the same dream - to have our children move closer & to see them more often.
    Wishing you a lovely new week, Bonnie!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. Made me tear up as my daughter Heather lives on the other side of the country and we only see each other in the summer for a week and two weeks at Christmas. When she moved away, I went through a bad depression, however, time and acceptance has healed those wounds. However, at the end of each visit, my heart breaks still some more. Knowing how happy her life is in California though, gives me great joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mickie, Mothers and daughters do have a special bond. We have such fun together. Thank you!

    Jane and Lance, These are too few and too far apart, though I am very happy to see her build a life of her own and succeed. The absences are still difficult. Thank you!

    Ellie, Enjoy every minute with your daughter. Time slips away and cannot be turned back. The great thing is suddenly you find you have a best friend in your daughter. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill, Thank you so much. I was a most wonderful weekend. She truly is a delight. Thank you!

    Bonnie, Yes, I am already planning our next visit. It will not be too soon. Thank you!

    Zuzu, Yes, I dream of large family Sunday suppers. Dreams do come true. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arleen, Watching our children succeed can be bittersweet. Knowing they are safe and happy heals some of the ache. We are so fortunate to live in a time when technology allows us to stay closely connected with our daughters. We both have a Heather. I like that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful story bonnie!! whenever my boys are home i "listen" for the "movement" upstairs that i don't hear anymore and it make me smile!!

    we love them so much it hurts....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wonderful! Do you know the saying,
    'a son's a son 'til he gets a wife but a daughter's a daughter all her life.'

    I don't know if it is true - I only have daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosemary, Yes I have heard that saying. And, like you I do not have sons. I am truly blessed to have such a close relationship with my daughter. Daughters are wonderful, don't you think? Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made me teary with this one. I think about the day my baby will be grown and gone and I won't get the hugs and "i love you so much mommy" sprinkled throughout my day.

    My mom used to say, "no one will every love you as much as your mom" I believe it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a marvelous time for you and your daughter! I know just how you feel. My daughter married over a year ago and I miss seeing and hearing her bound around this house! It is wonderful to talk with your children as adults - love each stage of their lives! This is a beautiful post - I am happy to be your newest follower!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post. You've described this mother's heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm blessed that my son, The Geek and his family live in town but my daughter, The Social Butterfly and her family lives 90 miles away.

    We do get to chat, laugh and visit everyday via phone though. Funny how much trouble her teens were and how we've become the best of friends!

    God bless and enjoy this wonderful day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is both a joy and a sorrow to let our grown ones go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, I agree with you mother. A mother's love is unconditional. Did you ever think you heart could hold so much love? Good to hear from you.

    Beth, It seems I have touched on something so many feel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kathy, Welcome to Living Life. Letting go is one of the hardest things a mother must do, even though it is proof of a job well done. Thank you so much for your comment. Bonnie

    Nezzy, Thank you for your kind comment. I have always believed when a child is young it is important to be a parent. It is when they become adults we get to be their friend. Thanks, Bonnie

    Ally, Letting go is by far the hardest thing a parent has to do; watching them succeed as an adult is one of the most wonderful things we are allowed to witness. Thanks, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know what you mean. Our children are truly our treasures. My daughter lives in a basement apartment in our home with my grandson while she finishes school and hopefully gets a job. It will be a long time before she is ready to be independent, even though she is in her 20's. I encourage her to be, but secretly, in my heart, I hope she never leaves.

    ReplyDelete