Thursday, November 10, 2011

What Day is It?

Is it really Thursday?  It has been that kind of week.


Tuesday, a bit of a storm blew in causing the mercury to fall ever so slightly.  Wednesday it seemed to get cooler as the day progressed.   This morning I wore a heavier jacket but ended up taking it off on the playground.   By the time I walked out of the bookstore this afternoon I was wishing I had not left my coat in the car.    The meteorologist is saying high 30s tonight.  I've brought a few tender plants in for the night and I will cover those I cannot lift by myself.  My trees are still providing a nice leaf canopy;  I think most things will be okay.



It seems this might be the perfect night for the settling in with the first fire of the season, a couple of new magazines I picked up while browsing this afternoon
and a bowl of


Roger's Fish Stew
(adapted from several different recipes)

1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 small sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
2 to 3 garlic cloves
(I love garlic)
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups fish or chicken stock
8 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. fennel seed
1 lb. cod fillet, cut into large chunks
(I also like to add shrimp and or scallops)
a handful of italian parsley, coarsely chopped

In a large stockpot saute' onion, pepper and sweet potatoes or about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.  Stir in garlic and tomatoes.  Add the wine, broth, tomato sauce, cayenne, salt and fennel seed.  Bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 25 minutes.  Gently push fish into the liquid until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.  Stir, breaking the fish into large spoon-sized chunks.  Check seasoning. 

Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle parsley on top.

I like to serve this with thick slice of dark brown bread.

(4 servings)
Enjoy!

This time tomorrow I will be enjoying dinner with my sweet daughter.  I hope you have something wonderful to do this weekend.
Hugs!

12 comments:

  1. A fire sounds lovely. I hope you enjoy your evenings tonight and tomorrow night with your dear daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds so yummy.....everything is better with bread!!

    i LOVE garlic also...too much is never enough!!

    enjoy the fire!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weather day sounds a little like mine. I, too, left a jacket in the car and wished I hadn't. Alas, there was no delicious fish stew for my dinner.

    Enjoy the visit with your daughter!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fall leaves, and the stew sounds "tasty"! Enjoy the time with your daughter. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All day today I thought it was Friday. I think this crazy weather is driving me a little crazy...sweater on, sweater off. :) But I'm thrilled I can have soup everynight now...it's definately a weakness. How do you think this recipe would be without the meat..the broth sounds delicious.

    Hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bonnie:
    The first fire of the season! And how wonderful is that particularly when combined with a good book, interesting magazines and truly delicious comfort food of the kind which Roger's Fish Stew looks to be. Maybe, some interesting, yet soothing, music too?

    Jó hétvégét.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chill is in the air here also.

    That recipe sounds wonderful, however, I do not like cod. Do you have a recommendation for a substitute fish?

    Since I have retired, I have learned that it does not really matter what day it is. They are pretty much all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane and Lance.... I always have on my favorite Celtic music when reading.

    Arleen... This is a wonderful soup base. I think you could add any firm fish. I have often added shrimp and scallops. Add a little corn and okra and make it a vegetable soup. I actually freeze the soup base. I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kind of day Bonnie...being outdoors, bookstore, fish stew...fireplace going...I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. :)

    Best wishes...

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to catch up with your blogs, Bonnie. You paint a delicious picture; leaf colours, stew, fireside, daughter's company and a selection of new books - what a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to spend an evening! And I hope you had a lovely time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Roger's fish stew sounds and looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe. xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete