Friday, December 2, 2011

"Planes, Trains and Automobiles"

image via
Tis the season to get busy....exhausted and stressed.
I am not a "have all the shopping done before Thanksgiving" kind of girl.  I cringe when I see Christmas decorations up before the turkey is finished roasting in the oven.  

Now the day after Thanksgiving is a whole different ballgame.  Routinely we head out to cut our tree the morning after Thanksgiving.  Decorations slowly come down and out of the closet; my "this year I'm not going to do a lot of decorating" statement
becomes my one lie for the year.  

This year....I am not going to do much decorating....seriously!  We broke with tradition and went to the nursery two days after Thanksgiving.   Our tree was pre-cut, who knows what month.  It is still outside in a bucket of water.  I may decorate in a week or so.   December is going to be an unusually busy month for us this year.  We will be in and out, traveling here and there throughout the month.  And yes, we will be hopping on planes and trains, and spending a fair amount of time in the car.

I will will have a good amount of time to enjoy a little light reading.
I've downloaded
two new books on my e-reader.

 Daphne, Justine Picardie, was recommended by
Jeanne at Collage of Life.
A story of Daphne du Mauier.

Daphne


and
 The Time In Between, Maria Duenas
I was intrigued with the overview.

"...between youth and adulthood
...between war and peace
...between love and duty"

The Time in Between


They both promise to be good books to enjoy while traveling or to escape into while sitting by a fire after a busy day of  Christmas preparations.  I simply cannot wait to jump between the pages.  I may have a problem deciding which to begin first.

I recently finished Waiting for Snow in Havana,  Carlos Eire.  I'm not really sure how I feel about the book.  It is beautifully written.  The characters almost jump off the page.  I had a bit of difficulty embracing Carlos.  It is not necessarily an easy read, but you can certainly put it down and return without needing to review.  Each chapter could almost be an independent essay.  With that said I would recommend it simply because of the history lesson.

Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy

Have a great weekend!  I will be checking in and posting when I can.










9 comments:

  1. Daphne looks great! By coincidence, I just watched the movie version of Rebecca, and my friends and I seemed to have a lot of questions about du Maurier. Sounds like a really great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books look interesting - I have added them to my list. I have found it much more relaxing to minimize my Christmas decorating. My house is small and I don't even have anywhere to put a regular sized tree, so I have a tabletop one behind my sofa in the bay window. Easy. I'd rather bake cookies. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you will be very busy! Enjoy reading a good book or two or three while traveling!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "I DEFINITELY" WILL NOT do too much decorating this Christmas has already gone out the window. I, (sob, sob) even bought more lights (LEDs to replace our older ones which now become more crap in my basement) and one small lighted decoration that I needed like a hole in the head. I guess I can't help myself from fa-la-la-la-laing into decorating oblivion. It's a disease!

    Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you are having an amazing time!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post of yours. Hope you have a great time travelling. Those books look very interesting. Take care!...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. the book "Waiting in Havana" is a great read. My mom read it several times and she wants me to read it too. Thanks for this link for featuring it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda you are more than welcome. I love sharing titles of books I enjoy and some I don't enjoy so much. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting and informative article.There is a good amount of useful information to be seen here! Thanks for sharing..

    Thanks
    Anderson Trott from Used Cars In Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete