Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Bit of a Bookish Weekend



The Public Library had it's used book sale Saturday.  We first stopped for breakfast at our favorite spot and then headed downtown to the main library branch.  Whenever I visit the main branch I am always struck with how quiet it is.  It seems libraries are moving away from restricting noise.  I, personally, enjoy the quiet.  I really should make an effort to go downtown more often.

The sale was in the basement.  I was overwhelmed with the number of patrons and the number of books for sale.  Roger went in one direction and I in another.  The books were arranged by subject and volunteers continued to shelve books as fast as books were pulled off the shelves.  While browsing I noticed everyone had boxes and bags full of books.  Being a people watcher and a bit nosey, I sort of became a little sidetracked trying to see what everyone was pitching in their boxes.


When I met up with Roger he had picked up a small reference book on writing, John Grisham's The Painted House and a boxed set of books on Modern Religions (?).   I managed to find a first printing of Isak Dinesen's Last Tales, another book of short stories and a small book about the passion of reading.  Total cost?  $5.00.   You really can't beat it.


When we arrived home I had a package waiting by the door.  Roger had ordered a beautiful copy of Williams Faulkner's As I Lay Dying from the Folio Society.   He had surprised me last week with a first edition of John Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus.  (I love old books.)   Tonight I am having a great time browsing all of my new treasures.  Looks like I may need a new bookshelf.... and more time to read.

Just opened Waiting for Snow in Havana, Carlos Eire.  It is looking promising.

The trees are finally fully dressed for autumn.  I took a walk around the neighborhood at dusk and captured a few shots.  More treasures!

I hope you had a lovely weekend and found a treasure or two.





9 comments:

  1. I love books; I could never donate them though. Once I`ve read them, they become my friends and I just can`t part with them, lol!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. real books....worn covers and tattered pages, perhaps the love for real books is not slipping away.

    i remember loving the library when i was younger, it somehow always felt like a special time and place. i have not visited one in years.

    sounds like you scored some good treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    We cannot imagine a nicer way to spend a weekend than browsing through a book sale and particularly one where, very clearly, there were many good treasures to be had. Reading, and collecting books, particularly first editions, is one of our passions so we would have much enjoyed the library sale. And yes, libraries are much noisier than in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day sounds like it was perfect! To have such wonderful treasures as an old book, or first edition, or one just beautifully done is a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're spoiled for reading material right now! The only challenge will be deciding where to start. I love having a pile of books beside my bed waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful weekend you must have had. With life so busy, it is a treat to just have some time to yourself to do what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue... I also find it difficult to give up my books. Sometimes for a good cause I can be persuaded to pass on a favorite. I am learning that to introduce and pass on a favorite in someways equally rewarding.

    Beth... Oh, I have found I can never have to many books waiting for me to escape into. I am looking forward to winter when things slow a little.

    Arleen...When browsing books time and space have no meaning to me. Now just to have the time to sit down and enjoy my treasures.

    Thanks to all, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how hubby and I adore Library sales and rummaging for used books! I loved this post because I have done this so often - It sounds like you got some great books and then to come home to more - wow - what a great day! I hope you are in a cozy spot reading them as this weather is getting quite chilly now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love books and the library. I hate the books on those tablet thingies. I love the feel and smell of the library and all the books. How could we ever move away from that. Hope it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete