Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Viewing Genius



Several years ago I took a twelve week workshop designed to help discover or rediscover your creativity.  It is a class that can be used by writers, painters, or anyone who wants to live a more creative life.  Each week there is a reading and various tasks to complete, or attack, as the case may be.  You're instructed to write three pages each day about anything on your mind.  The only other consistent assignment is to take yourself on an "artist date".   

Through the years I have continued to write in journals.   I may not write consistently, but I write.  I have book journals, travel journals, cooking journals, knitting journals and journals just for occasional musings.

I have also kept up with taking myself out.  My date maybe a trip to the bookstore, the nursery, the knit shop or simply out for a quiet lunch.  Usually it is never anything extraordinary, but it is almost always peaceful and healing.

Today I took myself to view genius, the work of Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Giselle.  I spent two hours reading about his career and viewing his delightful art.   I will leave you with a few things that caught my fancy.   Enjoy!


 


You recognize this fellow




Okay, I so want to own this one!

5 comments:

  1. Did you ever answer me about NaNoWriMo? You should totally do it! We have been loving a lot of Seuss the past couple of days and will for the next week (as always, really!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Seuss, known around town as Theo, was our neighbor when we lived in La Jolla. In the four years that we lived there, we glimpsed him on occasions but never really met him. His wife would come to the village bookstore and take books home for him to sign. Another neighbor was Spencer Johnson who wrote the "value tales" for children. We shared a baby sitter and our older son was a playmate of his son.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you know how to nurture yourself, Bonnie. And like fun, that's good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dr Suess/Mr Giselle. He strikes me as having been a good, kind soul, who happened to be a wonderfully creative writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, I am fascinated that you were neighbors with "Dr. Seuss". Most of the exhibit comes from his wife's private collection.

    Charlotte, Nurturing oneself is a learned necessity. I am a much nicer person because of it.

    Karin, I, also, think of him as a kind soul. I would even have to say more so after reading the many articles on display. So very talented.

    ReplyDelete