Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I've Been Outed

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."  Dr. Suess


It seems word might be out, I write a blog.  And, after much thought, I am okay with it.  I know it might seem odd that I've chosen such a public forum to express myself, and yet I have kept it a secret.  I suppose it is more threatening to have those I know and see frequently reading and critiquing my thoughts.  I don't want to begin censoring myself  because I am sensitive to what someone might think.  And yet, I have chosen this venue to express myself.

While in Seaside, this past Christmas, we had our usual New Year's feast with a family we have known since...forever.   As usual there was a lot of food, a lot of wine, and a lot of good conversation.  Not being an election year, the conversation turned toward the internet and social networking.  Our friend ask , "Okay who has a facebook account?"  Most of us raised our hands.   We discussed the the pros and cons of facebook.  All was going well.  Then he ask, "Who has a blog?"  I just sat there thinking...I need more wine.  One person raised her hand.   Roger and Heather both turned and looked at me.  I slowly raised my hand (man, I really could have used another glass of wine).  While I do believe it was a mild shock to everyone that I was the one who had the blog, everyone seemed to be supportive, and ask the usual questions, why and about what.

Why?  I do it for me.  It is my chance to reach within, step out of my comfort zone and say what is on my mind and in my heart.  A chance to share all the stuff that rattles around in my head.

About what?  I'm still kind of working on that.    I write about experiences, ideas, and passions.  I occasionally tell a story or two.  I hope I encourage, bring a moment of quiet thought, and maybe bring a laugh or two.

Thanks to everyone who follows me, mentors me and leaves such encouraging comments and emails.  (I am doing better about going back and responding)  And thanks to those who read and choose to remain anonymous.

9 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY know what you mean! While most of my friends know about my blog, almost none of my family does and lots of other people I know don't know about it. I blog about some pretty personal stuff, and somehow it's easier for me to share some of that with people I don't even know. Weird, huh? But like you, I am starting to share it more and more. And I'm SUPER loving some of the blogging friends I've made - people who I have never met in person, who I started blog-hopping with and then commenting and then eventually emailing and even sometimes talking on the phone and talking about meeting in person. I think this whole online world is so awesome for building friendships and communities among people who have a lot in common but might never otherwise meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I feel for you. When I first started blogging, my husband called his parents and brother to tell them and give them my blog address so that they could read it. I wasn't (and am still not) sure about how I feel about that. I've been blogging for 5 years or so now and it hasn't created any problems, so I guess it's okay that they all know. After all, it is public and really not a secret, right? My biggest surprise was just about a month ago when I went into a little shop downtown, was chatting with the gal that works in there, and she said, "You are the one who write's the blog 'On a Rainy Night', aren't you?". Completely took me by surprise! I was shocked and then flattered!
    Keep writing, Bonnie. I don't think you need to have a theme. Your life is the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I told my sisters that I had a blog, their just looked bemused and didn't ask it's name. My closest friends read my blog. Sometimes they are even featured. The best part of blogging, for me, has been the new friends I've met. Last October, I met two of them (one from Virginia and one from Florida) for coffee on my annual fall visit to Virginia. They turned out to be exactly as I expected and we had a lovely time together.
    I am quite happy to have met you.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share that I have a blog with people who I feel safe with. I guess I am sort of shy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for all the wonderful supportive comments. You each have fabulous blogs that inspire me. You humble me by reading and responding to my simple writings. It is nice to know I am in such great company. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband thinks that having a blog is the most bizarre thing. Why do it? he asks, and I don't have much of an answer. You do. You've described the attraction so well and so clearly, Bonnie. I lift my teacup in your direction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Charlotte. I have to tell you I look forward to your posts. Some I carry with me all day; they all give me pause to think and look at things a different way. Always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I feel exactly the same way. My mom, sisters, and daughters all know about my blog, but they are the only people I told. As far as I know they all read it, but they don't ever comment - I have no idea why. I didn't even tell my boyfriend, although he found out because I showed him another blog and he went and looked thru the comments, saw mine and followed it to my blog! He reads it occasionally. I don't know why I haven't told any of my friends, and I don't know if I ever will tell them...But like someone else mentioned above, one of the best things to come from blogging is the new "friends" I've met online!
    All the best, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean. warm hugs to you

    ReplyDelete