Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Preparations

"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again."  Louis Carroll


Yesterday the state was preparing for what was being called the snow event of the season.  The up to the minute models were showing we could double our present snow totals.  Warnings and watches were announced by noon.  Schools made their decision to close by five o'clock news time.  Store shelves were emptied. 

I spent the morning getting my children ready for Valentine's Day, knowing there was a  possibility I would not see them again until February 14th.  We cut out hearts for our cards.  Wrote "Happy Valentine's Day!  Love...".  We painted and glittered our treat bags.   We practiced writing our names;  we even had time to don our coats and play outside.  We took our time and had a very good day.   I sent the children home with Friday papers (we had a snow day last Friday and this Friday's attendance has yet to be determined) and hopes  of snowman building and sledding fun.

 On my way home, like my little friend above, I needed a few provisions to get through the anticipated snow storm.   
 

I have my priorities straight.  I first visited my favorite yarn store, because I needed this...

 

 To finish this.

sh-h-h it's a surprise
I also found my favorite knitting magazine to add to another little treasure I found last week. 

so many projects to ponder
So  while sitting in my sun room looking out at this


I may choose
to finish reading A Woman in White,
knit,
browse a magazine
or just sit and daydream,
because
I am assured
I will, soon enough, be sitting here
with beverage in hand,


once again, enjoying this view.


Enjoy today, tomorrow will come.

6 comments:

  1. Your plans sound lovely...if the snow's going to come anyway, we might as well slow down and enjoy the quiet moments.

    Stay warm and safe ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it turn out, Bonnie--the day? Your views are delightful.

    Anticipating holidays is one of the joys of childhood. Now that I don't have a child at home, I sometimes forget when they're coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, my day was peaceful. I read a little, knitted a little and took a walk in the neighborhood once the snow slowed. Maybe tomorrow I will get a little more accomplished. We ended up with just around 6 1/2 inches. I hope you are staying safe and warm, and that your spring is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be very pleasant to work on the "surprise" as the color is so lovely.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, The color of the yarn is "aqua" and it is luscious. It is also very soft. Thank you! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could knit! I was never able to hold the needles correctly. It's a beautiful craft and your project looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete