Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas Back on Schedule

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, 
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.” 




I said I couldn't do it.
I said I wouldn't do it.
But,  I did!

There were stipulations.
I would not place a single ornament until I had an
absolute guarantee the Christmas tree would not
fall again.

First there was a bit of surgery.


and a bit of tethering.


Once the tree was standing.
and the lights checked.


I began, totally against my will, the redressing.
It didn't take much for me to become totally obsessed.
It is who I am.


With the simple act of picking up each surviving piece and finding
 the perfect bough to place my memories,  I felt Christmas returning.


R. ask if I was planning to put out the Santa collection.


I had thought I would leave them packed away this year,  but there he stood holding the container filled with a collection assembled over the length of our 33 years together.
  I couldn't resist the anticipation in his eyes.


The music of Christmas is playing here at Living Life.
And my heart is feeling lighter.



“And what happened then? 
Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart 
grew three sizes that day” 

12 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I am so happy that you put your tree back up! And took out your Santa collection. Christmas is a special time and is nice to surround yourself with things you love. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Bonnie! I felt cheery as I read it. However, I had to laugh at the fact that you really did tether it down! (and showed us a picture)
    I'm glad the spirit is back and alive. Hope everything else is merry too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that your tree is up. Had to read your previous post before this one. Hope you have a wonderful holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah, Bonnie. Hurrah for hearts that can grow bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the tree returned, trimmed again too . . . my heart swelled with joy . . .
    And a box full of Santa's . . . I hope to see more and MORE . . .
    Such warmth you bring me in word and picture . . .
    Merry Christmas Bonnie . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree is restored!
    The Santa's are out of the box!
    Be still, my Christmas heart!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  7. we had several trees fall. we lost many very special ornaments during those falls. after that, they were all tied to the handle of the sliding glass door....it worked like a charm. good thing for those handy boys and your wonderful, relentless spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see your tree back up! We had to secure our tree to the side of the armoire because of our young kitty! Glad you were able to salvage some of the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bonnie - I am so glad you recovered your Christmas cheer. Your tree looks beautiful and I it was wonderful to see your Santas. I think you will do just fine now. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no Bonnie! These things happen. A coincidence.. my girlfriend's tree fell down a few days ago and many of her special ornaments were shattered:( Since then, her husband got it back up and all is good. Glad to her the holidays are going well and everything is on schedule :) Your home looks so pretty:) xxL

    ReplyDelete