Friday, December 20, 2013

Books for Christmas


Have you completed your holiday preparations?
If you are happily sitting with a cup a tea, feeling comfort with
the knowledge you have finished shopping, creating and wrapping,
I humbly bow to you,  and congratulate you on your accomplishment.
I will also add, I am green with envy.


Today I will make my final push to finish my Christmas shopping.
I have my journey mapped out, sort of.
Here are my two admissions...
...I am a last minute Christmas shopper, and
...I am always a little stressed this time of year.

I almost always end my holiday hunt in the bookstore.  It reduces my stress level being among friends.  And, it brings me such joy to match a person's interests with a title or favorite author.  I take this quest quite seriously.  I often do this alone as most lack the stamina.  Alas, it has been hinted, this year, my beloved books are not really wanted.
Oh, how that arrow plunged deep and hurt!

Last evening, I couldn't resist some browsing, and found so many interesting treasures.
  If I were giving books this year, I might select one of the following.
Are you looking for that last minute gift?
Might I suggest...

                                                  For....
the Fictionista...

(I have all of these on my "to-read" list)

 the Historian...

(we read so we don't forget)

 the Gardner...

(something for everyone who loves the garden)

the Chef...

(I may be gifting myself one of these)

and the children.

(these are some of my all-time favorite picture books)

Perhaps one of the above titles would be perfect for you or someone you know.
If you're not comfortable selecting a title for someone else
a gift card to your favorite bookstore might be perfect for the reader
on your list.  Don't forget to include a handsome bookmark.

Are books on your wish list this Christmas?
Oh, I do hope so!
book images from 
Barnes and Noble website

11 comments:

  1. The most fun we had last year was taking two young friends (6 and 8) to the bookstore to choose their own books. Thought about repeating it this year but decided that it was more of a gift to us than to them.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds to me as if everyone was on the receiving side. It sounds perfect!

      Delete
  2. Bonnie - some of my favorite gifts are books that have been given to me over the years...great idea for gift cards...I know I am giving Amazon ones to my family...they can have fun selecting their own choices. I look forward to after Christmas going to Barnes and Noble's and just browsing (hope they don't close)! Take care and have a very Merry Christmas...P.S. I confess I am a last minute shopper and get stressed as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. books make wonderful christmas gifts, the boys always got several each year!!

    i'm sure your second picure was to show us your pretty christmas decorations but i am so distracted by that beautiful table they are sitting on. that would look awesome in my home!!

    i am done and wrapped, i can't shop last minute, and did 99% of my shopping on line anyway. i even googled "stocking stuffers for men" (and yes i still do that) and was amazed at my choices, great stuff!!

    if i don't see you again merry christmas, i hope it's merry and bright!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be frustrating when loved don't share our passions. That's what makes blogging so great. It's easy to find someone that connects with our important words.

    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, I love getting and giving books. In fact if Santa brought me nothing but books I'd be a happy girl. It is a sad fact though that some people don't love books as much as you and I. I find it completely incomprehensible. My in laws have no books in their house, I hate it. As always when I read a list of books I find something that intrigues me. You've got me with the Sonia Day book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you, thank-you. for all these wonderful suggestions. They come to me right at the perfect moment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hellooooo!
    Three days to go!
    Stressed?
    You bet!
    I love the smell of a new book! I do not own a Kindle. I won Patricia Wells cookbook on a blog give a way this year. I love the cooking philosophy and images within the pages! I hope that your family and friends read your blog, Bonnie!

    Hint...hint!
    To Bonnies Fam & Friends...
    Buy your mom, wife, sister, friend...The French Kitchen Cookbook, by Patricia Wells!
    She'll love it!
    Ho Ho Ho!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice post, Bonnie. I am sitting here with a cup of tea.... so that's THAT part done..... I love the tree shown in your picture, it reminds me of a pine cone, how original. As for books, I just bought four for gifts. The one I am most pleased with is a small Penguin edition of one of George Orwell's essays, "Politics and the English Language" which points out how truth and clear language go together. I read it as a teenager and thought it was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have about 700 thousand books... just exaggerating, but I do have a lot of books. However, I don't think you can ever have enough garden books and my latest favorite is "Elizabeth's German Garden", and, I may be a bit biased, but I think everyone should have a copy of "Mamsey Bear and Mopkin". Christmas is usually not at all stressful to me, because we keep it very simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've spent so much time in my local bookstore this month, people must have thought I was working there! Goldfinch is one I'm looking forward to reading too.
    Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete