Sunday, November 18, 2012

Winter Book Talk


The last workman left my house Friday afternoon.  The floors are now finished.  
It is hard to believe the "water" saga began before Labor Day and the final curtain 
fell less than a week before Thanksgiving.  

Saturday, after moving the furniture back into the den,
arranging and rearranging, shifting lamps from table to table,
room to room, removing blinds and hanging curtains, I needed a bit of recreation.

What might I do for fun late on a Saturday afternoon?

via flicker
Browse a bookstore, of course.

I'm putting together my winter reading list.


"It is the early 1950s. A nameless man is found on the steps of the hospital in Iasi, Romania. He is deaf and mute, but a young nurse named Safta recognizes him from the past and brings him paper and pencils so that he might draw. Gradually, memories appear on the page: the man is Augustin, the cook's son at the manor house at Poiana, where Safta was the privileged daughter. Born six months apart, they had a connection that bypassed words, but while Augustin's world stayed the same size, Safta's expanded to embrace languages, society, and a fleeting love one long, hot summer. But then came war, and in its wake a brutal Stalinist regime, and nothing would remain the same."


"The year is 1921. Three women set out on the impressive Paris ocean liner on a journey from Paris to New York. Julie Vernet is a young French woman from a working class family who has just gotten her first job as a crew worker on the ship. Escaping her small town and the memory of war,
 she longs for adventure on the high seas...
Constance Stone is a young American wife and mother who has traveled to Paris to rescue her bohemian sister, Faith, who steadfastly refuses to return to America and settle down. Constance returns home to New York, having failed at the duty her father asked of her...
Vera Sinclair, a rich, ex-patriate American is leaving France after thirty-one years to live out her remaining time home in America. Over the course of the transatlantic voyage, she reflects on her colorful life and looks forward to a quiet retirement. While each of these women come from different walks of life, their paths cross while at sea in a series of chance encounters. The powerful impact these disparate lives have on one another make for a magnificent and unforgettable read."

Both of the above sound sound wonderful to me, but this is the one I wish
I had brought home with me.  First published in 1934 it sounds
lighthearted and deliciously funny.
Exactly what I need right now.


"Barbara Buncle is in a bind.  Times are harsh, and Barbara's bank account has seen better days.  Maybe she could sell a novel...if she knew any stories.  Stumped for ideas, Barbara draws inspiration from her fellow residents of Silverstream, the little English village she knows inside and out.

To her surprise, the novel is a smash.  It's a good thing she wrote under a pseudonym, because the folks of Silverstream are in an uproar.  But what really turns Miss Buncle's world around is this:  what happens to the characters in her book starts happening to their real-life counterparts."

Do any of these appeal to you?
I am certain all three will be making the short journey to my bookshelf.
Have you put together your winter reading list?

Between finishing Waldi's sweater and preparing for Thanksgiving I'm reading

.

It has been on my to read shelf for awhile.
I must admit I am a book addict.

via
Have a wonderful Monday!

book synopsis via Goodreads 
and Barnes and Noble.
Pictures taken  by me unless noted.

23 comments:

  1. All three of those sound like great books! Of course, I'm a book addict as well so everything seems to sound good. I'm really curious to hear what you think of "Hedgehog". It's one I had a really hard time getting through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I do tend to surround myself with those who enjoy the same things as I. I am finding "Hedgehog" interesting. I am reading somewhat like anthology. I am probably only a little over a quarter of the way through. I will let you know.

      Delete
    2. Paula, Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. I'm making notes! The Elegance of the Hedgehog is staring me in the face as I type. There are one and half books ahead of it's reading. I always feel the need to stock up on a few books in winter--in case of a blizzard.

    Hope you try the pumpkin balls. They are a great relish dish.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This brings me a smile . . . hopefully it will to you too. Please visit me today . . .

      Thank you for the winter reading ideas . . .

      Happy Thanksgiving Bonnie . . .

      Delete
    2. Bonnie, I don't really worry about a blizzard here, but I do enjoy having something just in case....oh, I just like being surrounded with books. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Bonnie

      Delete
    3. Lynn, You made my morning. Thank you so much for your kind words. Happy Thanksgiving. Bonnie

      Delete
  3. Miss Buncle's Book sounds delightful, and now I have another book to add to my list! I too have far too many unread books, and no idea when I'll get to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, You and I are on the same page. I don't know if I will ever get through my list. But it is sure fun trying. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. You always pick good books and I often look to you for recommendations. I have not been able to keep up this fall as my life has been busy (but that is a good thing).

    I will not be on Blogger much this week because of the holiday and having 15 people for dinner. However, I want to wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am sure getting your house back in order is something for which you are very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, You are so kind. Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. I think that I would choose Miss Buncle. She sounds of the same ilk as 'Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day'! I've just finished William Trevor's 'The Silence In The Garden', one of his beautifully melancholic Irish stories, so Barbara Bundle in a bind would be very cheering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, William Trevor has come up several times lately. I will check him out, but I really don't want something depressing right now. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. There's nothing better than having workmen leave your house! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I would choose Miss Bunkle's Book, it sounds delightful! So happy for you that all the repair work is done in your house. What a relief it must be! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh...what a wonderful way to relax! I haven't read a book since the beginning of summer so now it's time to get back to it. I must have over 150 free books on my kindle ready to be read!:)
    Hope you have a great Thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Bonnie

    They are all so enticing and if I had to choose one, it would be "The painter of silence".
    I just finished "the hare with the amber eyes" and now miss it as I loved the characters.
    Happy Thanksgiving

    Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I have been looking at "The Hare with the Amber Eyes". So glad to hear you enjoyed it. I will now add it to my list. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Bonnie

      Delete
  10. They all sound interesting. I think I'd like to read the one about Miss Buncle. A book I want to read is A Prayer for Owen Meany. It's by Jonathan Irving. I've already read it once but want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favorite book. I also enjoyed "Cider House Rules by John Irving as well. Have a wonder Thanksgiving. Bonnie

      Delete
  11. Wonderful book selection! With a little down time scheduled for over the holidays, I'll be sure to pick one of these. First time stopping by and your newest follower!

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leslie, Welcome! I do hope you will let me know what you are reading and what you think. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy reading recommendations for a good read. I picked up "Crossing on the Paris" from the library a couple of days ago to add to my stack. Seeing it in your list suggests that I will enjoy it. I'm off to hit the follow button now.

    ReplyDelete