Saturday, November 10, 2012

Roadblocks and Chocolate Chip Cookies



My morning was less than successful.  I left the house planning to attend the used book sale benefiting the public library system.  I love this event.  It is a treasure hunt.  Rows and rows and rows of dusty used books.  Sometimes you leave empty handed...sometimes you find an amazing first edition of something wonderful or that random title that is now out of print.  It is all about the search.

I should have suspected something was going on when I first saw the orange traffic cones down the middle of a major thoroughfare.  But remember I had fabulous treasures dancing in my thoughts.  It wasn't until I hit the roadblocks just at the edge of the library entrance I realized my plans were about to be altered.  There was a "fun run" taking place and the runners and spectators had filled the library parking lot long before the library patrons began to arrive.  

Not to be dissuaded I began driving around searching for parking in and around the neighborhood.  Little did I know the real treasure was going to be a place to park my car.  After 40 minutes of driving and turning around I finally stopped, once again, at the parking lot gate to ask the security guard if he had any suggestions.  I can't repeat what he said.  Disheartened I decided to return home, unsuccessful in my quest.

Feeling defeated and down heartened my evil brain began plotting revenge. I drove straight to the grocery store.  I know what you are thinking....

Before I could stop myself, after picking up the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and grapes, I stealthily slipped a bag of chocolate chips into the shopping cart.   I hid it under the block of cheese and box of triscuits (my planned lunch).

Okay, you are right!

Once home I soothed my disappointment in the kitchen.


I'm still disappointed my day didn't go quite as I had planned, 
but a cup of tea and a warm cookie was  sweet salve on the wound.


I'm not for sure where I found this recipe over twenty years ago.


My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 F.  I line my cookie sheet with parchment paper.  You can spray it with vegetable spray if you wish. 

Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl to blend.  Using an electric mixer; beat butter  until light and fluffy.  Add both sugar and brown sugar, beat until well blended.  Add eggs one at a time and vanilla and beat until mixture is creamy and well blended.  Gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended.
Stir in chocolate chips.

Working in batches, drop dough by generously mounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, spacing about 3 inches apart.  Bake until pale brown, about 15 minutes.

Cool slightly on cookie sheet.  Transfer to racks; cook completely.

Bon Appetit'

I hope you don't encountered roadblocks this weekend;
if you do the back door is always open.

22 comments:

  1. Those chocolate cookies looks lovely. I'm sorry that you had a frustrating morning. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, With the help of a little sugar I bounce back nicely. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. So sorry you were not able to attend the sale, perhaps they will reschedule, I'll bet you were not the only one who could not get in. I get equally excited about used book sales myself - I think the cookies were justified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, Yes I was not the only car circling for blocks and blocks. I actually outwitted myself I am afraid. I thought if I arrived before the sale actually began I would find easy parking. I knew nothing of the 5K run. I should have left later. Ha! Ha! The joke was on me.

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Bonnie

    Sorry to hear that you didn't make the library
    that was a nuisance!

    But having said that if you had got to the library you wouldn't now be sharing your lovely cookie recipe with us.

    They look delicious and I will definitely try them.

    At least you did buy some lettuce and salad things in the shop (along with the choccie)!!!

    Happy Sunday

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salad makings are always in my shopping basket, allowing me the occasional sweet indulgence. I do hope you enjoy the cookie recipe.

      Delete
  4. When one faces such a failure, it's best to bake cookies! We had that same problem at our old (love saying that) library. It was decided a few years ago to just close the library for the four hours of the run. The new (love saying that) library is not in runners' path).

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, It seems autumn is the season for various marathons, fun runs and 5K's. This, unfortunately, is our new library; it will not be changing locations. This particular area is always congested. It is a popular tourist area. I will try to be more aware of events next year. Hugs! Bonnie

      Delete
  5. My "roadblock" was a sleepless night! I copied your recipe and may have to try it!

    I just read The Lost Wife. Thank you for the suggestion . . . a few months ago. There was a library wait for me to get the book. Two sittings to read Lenks's story . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, I am so glad you enjoyed "The Lost Wife". I have not particularly enjoyed the last three books I have read. I am reading a really depressing book at present. It is for my book group; I feel obliged to finish it. I think it is partly responsible for chocolate fix yesterday.

      Delete
  6. Hello Bonnie:
    Those chocolate chip cookies certainly look as if they could melt any troubles away. How we should love to be close neighbours and be able to drop in for tea!

    A few years ago we set off for a small town on the south coast of England to spend a day at the seaside. Our minds were filled with rockpools, cream teas and deserted beaches. Not far from home, the queue of traffic we encountered seemed to stretch the entire length of the south coast and so, we too, headed for home. There is no place like home we told ourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, wish I could share an afternoon tea in your company. I would happily deliver a box of freshly baked cookies to your doorstep as well.

      I am usually a patient person, but traffic has the power to turn me into a beast at times. Unfortunately, mass transit has yet to become popular in the southern United States. We are tethered to our cars I am afraid. I don't suspect this will change in the near future.

      Delete
  7. You have a wonderful spirit Bonnie!! That was a great alternative!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look great, and I hope they eased the pain of missing out on the library sale. I'd be disappointed too. It's always fun to find hidden treasure in a sale like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you didn't get to your destination, but there's nothing like a warm cookie to cheer us up! :) In fact, I think I'll make some for Hubby today. He is taking the online water heater out of the wall to make repairs.
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I so enjoyed this post. Nothing feels better than when our anger subsides and we realize that everything is okay and it is not the end of the world. Your baking solution was brilliant and look at the results! Yum...I will definitely try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shucks, Bonnie! Apart from being the world's most liveable city, they say, Melbourne has an enormous aptitude for sport of any kind, and it's no surprise here to find roads blocked for fun-runs or stadium events of some kind or other.
    I reckon you don't just deserve a few cookies, but a rare discovery of some literary masterpiece, next time you can get your car out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, if only you had been able to pick up a first edition "Jamaica Inn" to enjoy whilst munching cookies and sipping tea! Too bad! That recipe looks awfully similar to the one in my ancient Betty Crocker cookbook I inherit from my childhood. The only difference is 3/4 cup brown sugar as opposed to a full cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, How wonderful it would have been to find a first edition of a Daphne du Mauier book. Or Elizabeth von Arnim's "Elizabeth's Garden". So many books I want to add to my library that are no longer published.

      I cannot remember where I found the cookie recipe. I feel certain it was out of a magazine or the newspaper. My mother's recipe came right off of the Nestle's chocolate chip bag. I haven't even thought to compare the two.

      Delete
  13. Awe, I am so sorry for your disappointment. But.....those cookies look wonderful! Do you mind if I pin them?

    ReplyDelete