Saturday, September 29, 2012

Lessons from a Frog



I often write about books I am reading and those I have enjoyed.  I sometimes finish a book and ask the question why?  What was the purpose?  I not only want books I spend time with to entertain me, transport me or teach me,  I expect no less from the books I select to read in the classroom.  There are some wonderful children's books in bookstores and libraries.

This week it was all about the letter "Ff".  We talked about what "F" says and came up with a long list of words beginning with "F.  We painted, we traced, we wrote, we cut,  and we glued.  We painted frogs with eyes popping out of the top of their heads and legs going in every direction to climb our wall, and cut and glued a frog to hop home with us at the end of the day.

When story time rolled around I shared two of my favorite "frog" books.  These two books are not only beautifully illustrated, the bright colors drawing the eyes to the page,  the story has a rhythm allowing the children to participate in the story while delivering a message for children and adults alike.

  

Finklehopper Frog decides he wants to begin jogging.  He goes to the clothing store and buys the perfect jogging outfit and heads to the track.  On the way he runs into a dog and a cat who make fun of him and tease him about his clothes and the way he jogs.  Finklehopper is downhearted ready to give up until he meets Ruby Rabbit.  She encourages Finklehopper to continue by hopping along with him.  She explains we are all different.  Some of us are joggers and some are hoppers.  It is a wonderful lesson on being comfortable with who we are and with what we have.




In Finklehopper Frog Cheers, Finklehopper's friend Ruby Rabbit is preparing to run a marathon.  After sizing up the competition she is certain she will come in first until.....she spies the kangaroo.  She feels beat before the race begins.  Finklehopper encourages her to give it her best shot even when racing against a kangaroo.  She runs a noble race and comes in second.   By the end of the story Ruby learns it is not about winning, but participating, doing one's best and good sportsmanship.

Both books gave us wonderful examples of another important "Ff" word...the importance of being a good friend.  The children were eager to share other ways of being a good friend.

Spend a moment or two with a children's book,
read to a child
and have a wonderful weekend!


17 comments:

  1. I don't know those books. They must be too new for my boys to have read them or had them read. I'll keep them in mind for future grandchildren!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie I believe these have been published in the last ten years. Cute, cute books! I hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hello Bonnie

    I love the line, "some of us are joggers and some of us are hoppers" which is so true. These sound delightful children's books

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, That is one of my favorite lines as well. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    What enormous fun it would be to sit in on one, or more, of your classes when, we are certain, we should be as captivated and enthralled as, very obviously, are the children who you teach.

    The world needs inspired and creative teachers, such as clearly you are, to enrich the lives of the young. Alas, in our experience, they are in short supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance. What great fun it would be to have you visit. I can only imagine the stories you would bring. To keep the attention of a 4/5 is much like a circus act...always moving and adapting to the audience.

      In all honesty it is the children who inspire and encourage me to continue to reach into my bag of magic. I am merely the conduit.

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I loved this and will check out Finklehopper . . .

    I miss my teaching days, I think It might be a good idea to take some of my favorite books and find some children to read to. I participated in an Adopt a Reader program for a few years through grandchildren's schools, giving the children an opportunity to read with an adult. Listening to a story is a wonderful too . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, I think reading aloud is one of my favorite things to do. I know the children appreciated your time reading to them.

      Delete
  5. Finklehopper books sound just perfect for Harry and Francesca, especially given the large number of frogs in our gardens! I love reading books to them and this one looks as though I will enjoy it too! Thank you, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really two fun books with wonderful lessons.

      Delete
  6. What lovely stories. I find it interesting that even my older kids will settle down for a story - espcially in the afternoon when their brains are starting to tire. Shame that our curriculum doesn't allow more time for it! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Who doesn't enjoy being read to. I don't think we are ever too old. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. I agree with that, "spend a moment or two with a children's book"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I love your passion for reading and I really enjoyed the description of what you desire from a book!!

    Cute froggie covers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beloved series of books for my children and their friends is Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel. As those children are now having babies of their own I buy the books as shower gifts to start off their library. Without exception they are always delighted. I read to my children in the evenings until well into the junior high years. We all enjoyed it. A great opportunity for discussion of real life problems too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading Finklehopper Frog to one of my girls! There was nothing better than having a little girl on my lap or beside me while I read to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know Finklehopper Frog! I'm putting these two on my list to find for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete