Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Doors



One might think the first thing to draw my attention once we arrived in Ireland would be the beautiful green landscape.  The landscape is indeed lovely and it most certainly is green, but as our driver drove through the streets of Dublin and into the surrounding villages the thing I first noticed was the colorful doors.   Passing blocks of row houses and single homes I could not help but notice no two adjoining homes sported the same color door.


I never ask nor did anyone offer up if neighbors planned with one another on the chosen color or if somehow it was mandated that this door be blue, this one yellow with a white or brown door on either end.  I did however come to the conclusion I was not the only one to think this was something special when after days of taking pictures of the doors I happened upon a poster titled "Doors of Dublin".  

via google
The blues, reds, yellows and whites were not limited to the boundries of Dublin.  I found them in Enniskerry, Dun Laoghaire, and Monkstown as well. 

There are a few different stories of why the doors are painted in a rainbow of colors.  One is the wives painted the doors so their husbands when returning from a night at the Pubs would be able to find their own home.   Another states when Queen Elizabeth passed away it was ordered all doors in the United Kingdom be painted black and in rebellion the folks of Ireland painted their doors in the vibrant colors they are today.  Personally I like the first.

I met so many welcoming people along the narrow winding village roads, in the shops and pubs, on the trains, standing in queue to catch the bus and in the busy streets of Dublin.  They were always willing to stop and show me the way, answer a question or share a story.  They enjoy a good story and a laugh as much as I.

And so I begin my tale with the doors, the perfect metaphor of the warmness and generosity I received from the people who live behind those doors of many colors.


The people, my most vivid memory. 

15 comments:

  1. What a brilliant beginning to your story.
    More please.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. Being 2nd generation Irish on my Mom's side and also the daughter of a man who was president of the AOH of NY, I can tell you that the two reasons given for painting the doors different colors rings very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    Such a very colourful and welcoming introduction to Ireland and we are certain that, before you finally leave, so many of those doors will have been opened up for you. We too love the way that through paint finish brightness and individuality is added to each and every home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Dublin Doors post . . . where I have been on the other side of one of those doors many a time. I too would say, "the people" pull me back for more. I look forward to more Ireland views from Living Life eyes very soon . . .

    The GREEN is BRILLANT though isn't it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great intro to your trip! Love the varying doors. Looking forward to learning more about the wonderful people of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are wonderful doors. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect "entry" to Ireland. I, too, am fascinated by doors and find myself photographing at least a few wherever we travel. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that the doors of Dublin were so colourful. What an interesting post. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snap! I visited Dublin for the first time four years ago for a conference and the FIRST thing which struck me were the fine array of colourful doors. I loved Dublin. I could see myself in a dream world living there.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I love this post! I'm into doors too, and these doors of Dublin are gorgeous. Love the poster, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pub story too. What a beautiful way to make one's house distinctive from all the others. Looking forward to the rest of your stories about Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Bonnie. Doors are openings, are they not? We would all want our openings to have character, to be unique.
    It can be, in the world, which is a big place, that signposting your presence with a colour is simply a way of marking territory. Are the Irish such individualists that territory needs to be marked so singularly? If it is the only place you have to expose any colour, why not? I wonder what colour I would choose, or you?
    Anyway, it's a mark of the city's unique identity. Dublin obviously has a strength of spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, I wonder what color you would chose? Me....I love red doors; I have had a blue door (there is actually a story behind this one) and a dark green door. It is time for my door to be painted. I may let Ireland inspire me. Have a great weekend.

      Delete