Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rainy Day and Last Few Pages

It has been a busy week getting back into my routine at home and at school.
My Friday afternoon didn't work out quite as I had planned, but all is well that ends well...
or so the saying goes.

Once I returned home I began hearing drops falling on the skylights in the sunroom.   Although I am still a bit skittish when I hear the drip drip drip of water, this was the sound of rain and it was warmly welcomed. 


I took care of a few chores around the house then settled in to finish  the last 50 pages of The Lost Wife.


I began it shortly before leaving for Ireland, and honestly, I stayed too busy to spend too much time with it.   The late afternoon rain gave me an excuse to sit down and finish.

The Lost Wife is not a pretty story.   It is not a happy story.  It is a multi-layered story of first love and the role love and memories of love have in one's ultimate survival under the most horrendous events.  It is also a story of strength of family and loyalty.  We begin in Prague shortly before the Nazi occupation and end decades later in New York celebrating an upcoming wedding.

In the Author's Notes, Alyson Richman states she did not set out to write a romance, but a story about an artist who survives the Holocaust, however her story took an unexpected turn.   Many of the characters and events are from actual accounts woven together into one, making this novel even more poignant.

There were times during my reading I didn't know if I wanted or could continue.  Some of the details are too inhumane.  They are stories we do not want to think could really occur, but stories I strongly believe we must never forget lest we allow history to repeat itself.  Thus as hard as it is to read the holocaust story even in fiction, authors should never cease telling it.

I appreciate that Ms. Richman did not succumb to ending the book with a fairytale happy ever after ending, but gave us simply a moment of intimate recollection.

This was the end of my "summer reading frenzy".  My book group met and selected
our books for the year while I was away.  It is an interesting and as always an eclectic selection.


Today has been another rainy day giving me the opportunity
to begin our September book.
I already have an opinion, but I will wait until I am finished
to make my final judgement....
for what it is worth.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

More pictures from Ireland to come.
    

18 comments:

  1. I love your book reviews, Bonnie. I am glad you had a rainy day to read...even if it wasn't the happiest of stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Thank you. I enjoy sharing my thoughts about a book I have enjoyed. Have a wonderful Sunday! Bonnie

      Delete
  2. I like your book reviews too. I think I might read The Lost Wife. I am interested in reading of the Holocaust, not that I enjoy reading of the horror but I think we need to be reminded of the horrors people endured so as to never have it happen again. The Book Thief and Sarah's Key are excellent.

    I wonder if there is a Blog Book Club? Interesting idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Thank you. My thoughts are simply my opinion and always unsolicited. "The Lost Wife" is wonderfully written. It is maybe a little more raw than "Sarah's Key". "The Book Thief" was named one of the best books ever written by many reviewers. It is certainly one of my favorites.

      I bet there is a Blog Book Club. I think I may follow someone who offers up book titles and a time to check in with opinions. I will check into it. Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  3. You might enjoy "The War Brides" - fiction, but somewhat based on fact. Made me th8nk a bit differently about my mother's WWII experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have looked at "War Brides" a few times while browsing. I will certainly pick it up now. My mother was a WWII wife as well. Actually she was a career military wife. Enjoy your Sunday.

      Delete
  4. My Muse group just read and discussed "Gone Girl". Whew! I felt as if I needed Thorazine after I finished the book. I could hardly put it down and let things go around the house to finish it. That said, I didn't like the book! I'll be interested to hear what your thoughts are, as well as those of your book group.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bonnie, I am feeling the same. Just after two chapters my head was spinning. It is most definitely a page turner. I'll get back with you when I finish. Have a wonderful Sunday.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm ... you have an opinion on the September book before you've read it? Now I'm curious! My book group meets tomorrow night, but many of us couldn't finish the book that was chosen. I won't name names, but this well-regarded author disappointed me with his writing. Still, I'm looking forward to our conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, I had begun reading the book before I wrote this post. I seldom judge anything before I test it out. You have aroused my curiosity as to the author who disappointed you. I find, with our group, it is the books that readers didn't enjoy bring about the best conversations. Again, I am dying to know who we are talking about. Enjoy your group tonight. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somebody just recently recommended Gone Girl to me but I think it might be a bit disturbing for my sensibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, It is not necessarily my usual genre', but it is definitely a page turner.
      "The Lost Wife" truly is wonderfully written; I wholeheartedly recommend it.

      Delete
  8. Two books that sound intriguing. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. I am ow looking for something good to read. I am on my way to the book store this afternoon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you next read will be.

      Delete
  9. You're inspiring me to read. It's been awhile since I cracked open a novel and now that the days are shortening, this is a good time to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer I hope you find something wonderful to read. Let me know!

      Delete
  10. if i enjoyed reading, i would want to read a happy story!!

    i adore the sound of rain on the skylights. we have seven here so where ever you are in the house, you can hear the rain and enjoy the lovely light they provide!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Bonnie, I found your beautiful blog through Jill. Rainy days are the best for reading and a cup of tea. I just always have a hard time finding time to do so. The story sounds like an interesting read...something I think I would enjoy. I am now following. Please do visit soon. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete