Monday, October 1, 2012

Let's Walk to Town

Oh it's not far,  just a kilometer or so down the road.


After a hearty Irish breakfast looking out over what was now called "our view" we decided to don the walking shoes and head down to the village of Enniskerry (Ford of the Stones).  The walk wasn't long and there were so many wonderful things to see along the way.

I am an explorer...
an adventurer.  
I cannot travel thinking only of the destination.


I am always a little nosy and not afraid to stop


to peer inside dwellings along the way.



I often venture off the charted path,


and I always stop to chat with the locals.


I breathe in what nature places in my path

The clock tower presented St. Patrick's Day 1843

knowing just around the turn I will come to where I belong.


   Beside a stony ford on the Cookstown River I found the charming village of Enniskerry.  A place described as a typical Irish village was first established in 1841 .   



And every cottage has a name.

Do matter what door we approached we were openly invited to enter. 
 Each question was eagarly answered.

I spent the day looking at buildings built so many years ago and still in use.


A place to read.

The Carnegie Library established by the Carnegie Trust in 1911.  It is still in use as a branch of the Wicklow County Library.


A place to gather.

Powerscourt Parochial Hall built in 1855 (a hundred years before I was born) is used for community activities.



A place to worship.

St. Mary's Parish Church.  Designed by Patrick Byrne, built on land donated by the 7th Viscount Powerscourt and consecrated 1860.



A place to purchase what is needed.

and...
 just in case you need a bit of refreshment.



A very nice wine shop if you desire something to take with you, and we did.

But if the need for something cool is immediate there is the town




Pub.

And you know the saying...

"When in Rome...."



We had such fun talking with the owner,  bartender and  waitress we were invited to return later in the evening to hear a "popular Irish band".  I said to the owner, " I do love Irish music".

"This is not you typical Irish music.  There are no fiddles.  There will be a bit of rebel music played", he replied.


I looked at him and smiled, "Oh I have a bit of the rebel in me".


We left and turned to walk back up to Powerscourt where we were expected for tea.


There was one place left to stop and explore,  St. Patrick's Parish Church.


Built of Wicklow granite with a copper spire, the Protestant Church built by the 7th Viscount was consecrated in 1863.

There is always time for walking around the cemetery.


"Pass on all's well"


We made it back to the hotel just in time to freshen up and join everyone for tea.

This was overflowing with savory bites.
Sweets to be delivered moments later.

Did we go back to the Pub, you ask?



Absolutely!

Slainte'!


28 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie

    What a beautiful walk and your description of Enniscorthy is so tempting. I love how you explore and take in all that is to see.

    You are making me homesick! (in a good way)

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, It sounds like you are having a wonderful time in Ireland as well. How nice it would have been to have met up for a visit.

      Delete
  2. Oh my . . . how I loved this. I know I have said it many times, once again . . .
    I love Ireland. I/we find the people there, especially in the country side, friendly in a way like no other.

    Donovan's of Enniskerry was delightful to see. We traveled on our first trip there with our friends the Donovan's.

    Great photos, Is Enniskerry in County Wicklow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, Yes Enniskerry is in County Wicklow. It was once a part of Powerscourt.....I believe. From what I have read the Viscount had much to do with it's establishment. I would return tomorrow if given half a chance.

      Delete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    This is such a wonderful post for in it, through your wry comments and lovely images, you evoke all that is so very wonderful about Ireland. It is indeed a country of great beauty and where the people, as you have found, demonstrate enormous hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, My visit was much too short, but I hope to return and visit more of the small hamlets and villages. The hospitality was amazing. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  4. Bonnie, you seem to be perfectly at home! One of my own sets of great-great grandparents were Irish, coming from Abbeyleix, about 70 km south-west of where you are in Enniskerry.
    Have a tipple for me, would you, and have the time of you life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, Unfortunately I have a bit of a problem with making myself at home quite easily. But, as you said I was so comfortable among the people of Ireland. It was a wonderful week. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a perfect day. I would love to visit Ireland. Your photos really capture the spirit of that little village. I think I would feel at home there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, The villagers truly welcome you with open arms. I, too, felt like it could be home.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful place! Thanks for the armchair trip to a wonderful town :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i could have written this (at least the first half) but never as eloquently!!

    i am all about the ride, not as much about the destination!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adventure is always the fun part. We had a grand day!

      Delete
    2. oh bonnie, you burst my bubble today!! i thought if i knew i was obsessive, i wasn't really obsessive!! hehehe

      Delete
  8. Loved your story about your day - I look forward to more, and have a Guinness for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a wonderful journey you took us on today!!! I loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures of Ireland! As a musician I'm intrigued by the concept of 'rebel' Irish music! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, We had such a treat when we arrived back at the Pub. The "rebel" band was actually two older gentleman singing mostly Irish ballads. The audience crossed all age groups. It was so much fun!

      Delete
  11. Hello Bonnie,
    What a wonderful description in words and photos of your Ireland trip. So much history and beauty there and lots to discover. I hope you get to go back there soon for more exploring...Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I would the love the chance to go back and visit. There are so many places to my "to visit" list. If only......

      Delete
  12. Bonnie...Great photos. Thanks for some snippets from your fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a delightful tour!! thanks! loved your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that takes me back! One of the best nights out we have ever had was after hours, in an Irish Pub, where everyone got led into singing some rebel songs - including us. It was enormous fun, they even got my husband on his feet singing an English song in return. Beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it sounds like you had a wonderful time, as did we. Oh course, we didn't know most of the songs, but had so much fun watching everyone else. Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Bonnie, what gorgeous photos! Ireland is so beautiful, I really must see it for myself one day. sigh You've shown all the things to make a perfect day, especially the afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Bonnie how beautiful! I would love to go on a trip like this, but your breath taking photos are probably the closest I will ever get. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! What a wonderful walk around the village! Thanks so much for taking us along. I enjoyed every second of it! The old buildings are amazing and in such fabulous condition. Ireland is on the top of my oversea's travel list - for someday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, oh, oh, how I would love to visit one day! Such wonderful photos... it looks like such a wonderful time!!!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete