Monday, September 24, 2012

Shakespeare and September Jam



Here we are in the final week of September.   Amazing how fast it has gone by.   September brings with her the anticipation of a new school year,  moving the linens to the cedar closet and replacing them with sweaters and sturdier clothes, and stirring hearty soups and stews as they simmer on the stove.  It truly is a season for all the senses.

September is also the time when the theaters and concert halls throw open their doors and raise the curtains once again to a new season.  From the time my tickets begin arriving I anxiously await the first show, adding the dates to my calendar and repeatedly checking to make sure I have everything scheduled correctly.

Saturday evening we attended the first production of the season at our local repertory theater, Shakespeare's "Henry V".  We were once again treated to amazing talent, both local and national, artful costumes and imaginative scenery all brought together on stage in an intimate setting.

image via
I have been in love with Williams Shakespeare since the moment I opened a worn and dusty volume of his works found on an obscure shelf in my junior high school Library.  I spent hours sitting on the front steps of my childhood home reading it aloud to my cat.  I am afraid I didn't understand what I was reading anymore than the cat, but I adored the words,  the rhythm and the way the words sounded when spoken out loud.

 A few years later I rushed to the movie theater to see the screen version of Romeo and Juliet (1968) and studied MacBeth in a high school English class, my enthusiasm maybe waning just a bit.    It was in college when my love was once again ignited when a Professor invited me to see a national Shakespeare company's performance of "King Lear".   I still remember the opening scene when Lear is brought on stage, his crown and robes removed and his eyes darkened.  He falls to his knees and the play begins.

I  studied Hamlet one semester feeling somewhat overwhelmed.  And, for many years while living in Texas would attend Shakespeare at Winedale.  Where for a minimum admission we would be treated  to a bowl of stew cooked in a caldron over an open fire and a glass of wine, before retreating to a nearby barn to experience a night of Shakespeare.   Over the years I have had the opportunity to see the stage productions of many many of his plays, yet it is that first performance of King Lear which remains my favorite.  

One could say, I suppose, I have, through the years, immersed myself in Shakespeare, yet truly even now I am not well versed I am afraid.  Though I assure you I continue to be mesmerized by the language, the rhythm and hearing the words spoken aloud. 

*****

When I saw the recipe for September Jam posted by Elizabeth at  Pinecones and Acorns it sounded like something William Shakespeare might mention in a sonnet or it might be something stirred up in one of the dreams he frequently wrote into his plays.  As soon as I saw the picture of the jewel toned liquid I knew I was destined make it.  If the name alone, September Jam, is not inviting enough, it is a mixture of wine grapes, apples and figs.

I gathered all the ingredients, sterilized the jars and began.


I chopped and simmered and strained and simmered again.


You know how excited I am when I hear the popping of lids.

Just a couple more wonderful things I love about Autumn.

If you haven't discovered Pinecones and Acorn yet please check it out.  Elizabeth finds the most divine interiors, interesting articles and delicious recipes to share.  And, she is always reading something wonderful.  Enjoy!


photos are mine unless otherwise noted

26 comments:

  1. Shakespere ..oh i love the writings and plays....definitley have not gotten enough! good for you.
    and wow, that jam sounds fabulous too.
    you have it going on!!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    Of all the 'history' plays, Henry V is possibly our favourite and the most recent Shakespeare we have seen.

    Throughout the 1970s we were close enough to attend the theatre at Stratford upon Avon on a regular basis and saw some quite superb productions. We still recall Peter Brooke's Dream as being the best and most innovative we have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, I had the chance to spend a day in Startford upon Avon many many years ago. I had the chance to see so many of the costumes used in several of the plays I didn't have the opportunity to see a production.


      "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream" is one of my favorites. The only knowledge I have of Peter Brooke's production is from things I have read. It sounds imaginative.

      Delete
  3. The fig jam looks delicious. I must check out Elizabeth's blog. Our Shakespeare starts next week at Navy Pier. The first performance we'll see is Sunday in the Park with George. Then on to Julius Caesar and Henry VIII.
    We've enjoyed Shakespeare in Chicago for over twenty years now. Love it when they have an actor who can portray King Lear. Alas, it has been awhile but we're hoping soon.

    Enjoy the fall.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I would love to see "King Lear" again. Please let me know if it is performed in Chicago. It might be a good reason for a weekend trip?????

      Delete
    2. I will let you know when King Lear is on in Chicago. My husband and I were trying to remember how many times we've seen it here. We think five times! I think most great Shakespeare theaters are always on the lookout for a "Lear"!

      Best,
      Bonnie

      Delete
  4. A most wonderful beginning to your Fall! That jam looks amazing - enjoy!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuzu, It is always good to hear from you. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. I agree. September Jam not only sounds poetic, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie,
    This post was so fun for me to read. I had no idea you were so fond of William Shakespeare. I love every play he's written. I was mezmerized when I saw my first play at Shakespeare on the Green - put on by a local theatre in one of our prettiest garden parks. The professor in my first literature class in college had us watch a silent film of Romeo and Juliet then read the play. It made reading and understanding so much easier...the words just began to flow easily and he stole my heart from there.
    Hope you are enjoying all the lovely things about fall. I love the sound of popping lids too!!! :) Love the way you worded that. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, So good to hear from you. We are kindred spirits I do believe. I love to see Shakespeare performed outside. Shakespeare, a bottle of wine and a loaf of bread? What more could anyone want?

      Delete
  7. I really like the 'Henry' plays. I'm lucky enough to live only 30 minutes drive from Stratford on Avon and have seen quite a few plays there over the years. Probably my all time favourite was 'Coreolanus' when I was a student... but this may have had soemthing to do with the fact that Charles Dance played a very sexy lead role!!!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned above, I visited Stratford upon Avon many years ago. I wish I could have seen a performance. That would truly have been the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  8. i love they way you tell a story!! whatever you write about, always sounds more interesting, more artful!!

    autumn is my favorite time of year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Thank you! I so appreciate you kind words. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. No better joy then hearing those popping lids! :) Sounds like a really good jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is yummy! I am thinking it would be really good with pork.

      Delete
  10. I was introduced to Shakespeare in my freshman year in high school and have loved his works since. I have seen many of his plays performed and it is always so much fun to see the different productions. They are always enjoyable evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, A couple of years ago I saw a production a production of Hamlet set during WWI. I was a little concerned at the beginning, however, it ended up being wonderful. Sometimes we need to be taken out of our comfort zone. Hugs!

      Delete
  11. Bonnie, I adore this post! First, the topic of Shakespeare. I loved your description of the first time you saw King Lear, and how that has stayed with you. I also saw an amazing production of King Lear when I was in my twenties in Ashland, Oregon, and I will never forget how powerful it was. Last fall I was in London and saw The Tempest with Ralph Fiennes and it was breathtaking. And Elizabeth's jam! I will go to her blog to find the recipe and would love to make it. It does sound as if it could have come from a Shakespeare play. And I always enjoy her blog. Have a great week and thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, I would love to see Shakespeare perfumed in London. The production of The Tempest sounds wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Ha! I just reread this....you just gotta love auto correct. "performed in London"..... I am sure some performances might be perfumed however.

      Delete
  12. This is a wonderful post. Shakespeare, with all his wisdom, and then September Jam. It sounds like a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Shakespeare too - both studying his works in school and attending his plays. This year I saw a version of Macbeth that one of my friends acted in! A much smaller production than I'm used to seeing, but very good.

    The jam looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I seen MacBeth several times and never tire of it.

      Delete