Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Powerscourt

"What makes the gardens at Powerscourt so remarkable is their grandeur of scale combined, as so rarely happens, with great delicacy and refinement of detail.  Their setting is superb, but their design and execution are worthy of it.  Meticulously kept, every part of the gardens rewards the closest study.  Powerscourt is a magnificent example of an aristocratic garden laid out with taste, knowledge and imagination."  
Peter Coats ( "Great Gardens of the Western World")



A five minute walk from our hotel lead us to the Powerscourt house and garden.     

Originally built in 1300  the castle was remodeled in the 18th century by a well-known German architect Richard Castle, under the commission of Richard Wingfield.   The mansion was designed around the footprint of the original small castle.  The gardens, in the beginning, were laid out as parklands and terraces.  It was during the next century the gardens and landscape became the public gardens I had the opportunity to tour.

Here are a few things that caught my eye and imagination.


The Pepper Pot tower was built in 1911 to commemorate the visit of the Prince of Wales.


The view atop the tower was breathtaking.


The Viscount's private walk from the tower through the American garden of unique cypress trees led us into


the Japanese garden where we found
so many hidden spots to
 

to stop and meditate.


I loved this grouping of trees.  
I thought it looked quite mystical.  
I almost expected a fairy to flit about at any moment.


Just past the trees we happened upon a cemetery.  There were no graves of Viscounts or other royals.
This was the resting place for all the beloved pets, including a favorite cow who had cared for the family by giving them numerous gallons of milk.


Passing through the gate into the walled garden we found


the herbaceous border


and further in, the cutting gardens.


I loved looking up at all the chimneys as I exited back onto the terraces.


One of the many urns lining the Italian garden


In 1974 while refurbishing the house a fire broke out in the early morning hours.  Little could be saved other than the outer shell.  The roof and most of the rooms were destroyed.


The Powerscourt house is now the home of the Avoca cafe', bakery

I resisted but I don't know how
and shops specializing in unique Irish foods and designs.

I wanted to take this home.
What began as a short morning outing ended up being a day long excursion walking down paths and walkways created so long ago I truly cannot wrap my brain around it.  

These are the thoughts which stop me in my tracks and send me to the history books.

10 comments:

  1. Breathtaking is right! What a wonderful day that must have been, but you should have eaten the cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, The aroma wafting past as brought those lovely cupcakes was amazing. I just had to draw the line somewhere!

      Delete
  2. I wondered if you would see the Pet Cemetery . . . I too took photos there.

    I LOVED the cutting garden . . .

    It made me smile when you mentioned spending most of the day there. Powerscourt covers such a vast area . . . it is easy to spend hours walking the trails.

    Thank you for sharing your photos and memories. It brought back special memories of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Powerscourt is an amazing place. When our driver told us it might worth a walk to visit I had no clue the beauty of it all. Are you from the area?

      Delete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    The gardens at Powerscourt have long been on our list of somewhere we wish to visit. Judging from your photographs here, they really are rather splendid and, clearly, very extensive. We have in out time seen a number of pets' graveyards, but this one is on such a large scale, in keeping with the whole place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, I can only say Powerscourt is well worth the visit. I am afraid I did not do the beauty of it all justice. I have well over 100 photographs from the gardens, but Picasa is on the edge of telling me I am full....I am trying to careful.

      I've never visited a pet cemetery before; I so enjoy reading all the headstones. So much was said in such little space.

      Delete
  4. Bonnie, wow! I love the Pepper Pot tower - wouldn't it be great to daydream from there?
    The scale is incredible, really, isn't it? Another world to the one we live in now, where history is what happened yesterday.
    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, Pepper Pot was a hidden treat. It was designed on the pepper pot in one of the Viscount's dining room.

      Living in a country where everything is still (in comparison) new, to be among such age and history sends me reeling and leaves me a bit overwhelmed. In relation we are exposed to such little history in our schools.

      Delete
  5. Wow! So many beautiful places! The tower just swept me away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Thank you! I thought the tower was wonderful as well. It was amazing to find it standing among all the trees.

      Delete