Sunday, April 29, 2012

words, words, words


I love words.  I enjoy listening to words as much as I like reading them.  I will sometimes become so wrapped up in the words while reading, I  have to return to the beginning of a chapter and reread to pull out the content.   I find it mind-boggling when I think of how words were created and have developed over time.

Before sitting down to write this I did a bit of research on the "origin of language" and find I am in good company.  It seems when and how language was developed has been debated for over a hundred years.  At one time the subject became so heated the discussion was banned.  There are several circulating theories, one being we are genetically encoded.  I am not an academian, anthropologist, archeologist nor am I a linguistist; I am simply a lover of words (though probably a poor user of words).

The subject of "words" has been on my mind since listening to All Things Considered on NPR last week.  The interview was with Ben Greenman of "The New Yorker" regarding the elimination of  the single most offensive word in the English language.

Before I continue, I must tell you NPR is the only station I listen to while driving.  I've been know to sit in my car just to hear the end of an interview.  With that said I must say I seldom hear the beginning.  This can be a problem when I am trying to retell something I found interesting.  I don't always have all the details.  To make sure I fully understood this interview I pulled up the transcript so I might have my facts straight.  I will admit when I told the story earlier this weekend,  I did have a few of the facts skewed... a little.

The New Yorker ask its readers to respond, via twitter, with their nominations for the worst word.   Awesome, moist and slacks were the top three.   After much deliberation the powers that be decided slacks was the most offensive word.  "People said it felt like rubbing the palm of their hand over polyester...".  Personally I can think of a few more offensive words.

Fast forward to this morning.  I am breezing through the Sunday paper, separating the good from the garbage when I see an article titled "All hope is gone, surely for grammarians"  (I will add grammarian to the list of things I am not.)  Again, via twitter the Associated Press Stylebook stated It, too, had succumbed.  "We now support the modern usage of hopefully, ...It is hoped, we hope."  The article goes on to say the fight over the proper use of "hopefully" has been going on for decades.   Personally, I had no clue such a vicious battle had ensued.

If we can, even jokingly, eliminate words or change the way a word is used... who is to judge if a word is being used correctly.  Doesn't it make it all a little subjective?   All this fighting over and eliminating of words has left me perplexed.

Surely someone will help clear the confusion, she said hopefully.

*****

While on the subject of words....  A couple of weeks ago our "letter of the week" was "A".  My usual routine is to have the children give me words beginning with the letter.  I have a few children who are always ready with a word and then I have those who struggle.  The obvious words are the first to be shouted out:  ape, apple, acorn, and....  I want each child to have a word on the chalkboard so I give lots of hints.  While helping one child, one of my girls raised her hand while calling out "Miss Bonnie, Miss Bonnie, I have a word".   Certain she had thought of the word I was asking for, I called her name.  "App".  "Ape?  Ape is already on the board."  "No,  app" showing me her hand while pretending to push buttons with a finger on the other hand, "app".

"Okay.  Uppercase or lowercase?"
  Well, I am sure there is an app to find that.


We lose a word... We gain a word...

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend and never find yourself at a loss for words.

23 comments:

  1. I am surprised John wasn't the one that suggested app! That's funny!

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think John gave me avocado. He always has the best words! We missed him today...the letter T. Next week J...he has been waiting all year for the letter "J". I hope everyone is feeling better.

      Delete
  2. what? are you saying people think the word slacks is the most offensive word in the English vocabulary?
    I can certainly think of a lot worse words...my kids could name the words they hear on the school bus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. I had to laugh tho'. I use the word slacks, because I think there is a difference between slacks and pants. Call me old-fashion..... Bonnie

      Delete
  3. haha...well "app" it is, i'm surprised it wasn't their first response!!

    you have a great view of the yard, from where you sit!! i am always distracted, from the main subject, i'm not sure what's wrong with me ;)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I must say even tho' I know my little are tech savvy I was taken aback. Thanks, It is my favorite place to sit (when it is not cluttered). I've changed back to the embedded....let me know if you have difficulty commenting. (bonniecarrillo@att.net)

      Delete
  4. Yes, app is the word of the times. I was appless for so long, but now I have become a proper member of society and have downloaded some apps onto my iPad. I really don't use any of them, but it impresses my children. I think they are proud of me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, I have a few apps on my iPhone, but they are in need of being updated. The only ones I use are weather related. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Hello Bonnie:
    What an absolutely fascinating post and one which has totally absorbed us, word for word. Language is, of course, a very dynamic thing, constantly changing though usage and infinitely flexible, so that, somewhat as you do here, one is left wondering at what point something previously thought of as incorrect becomes in fact an acceptable norm?

    Hopefully this makes sense!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it makes perfect sense. Thankfully we continue to evolve. I am most curious about those who sit in committee to discuss these issues. I always look forward to your insightful response. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. Really?! Slacks is an offensive word. That's crazy. And I'll have to look into the proper use of hopefully--this is news to me.

    What drives me crazy is when people say, "I COULD car less."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I know, I had to laugh when I finally heard the chosen word. I have many words and phrases which make me cringe....."ain't" is probably on the top of my list, followed by "irregardless". Bonnie

      Delete
  7. slacks? am I missing something?

    I majored in English and I love the language and words also. I wish I could remember the statistic I read once on how many words we have in our own personal vocabulary...it was so incredibly small compared to the amount of words actually in the English language. I found that so sad. I used to make my boys find new words in the dictionary every week. It was actually fun dinner table conversations!

    I loved this post! Just wondering...have you ever visited this blog?
    http://shewritesandrights.blogspot.com/
    I find Bethany's blog so interesting.
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I love you discussed vocabulary over dinner. What a wonderful idea. I do believe our vocabulary is incredibly small. I will check out Bethany's blog. I am always checking out new sites. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  8. Hello Bonnie - what a fascinating post. I love language. Currently I'm working on becoming as fluent as possible in French. I love the way words can overlap but have different meanings.. or can be completely different from one language to the next. Thank you for becoming a follower of my little blog. I am now following yours. Best Wishes, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you are most welcome. I so enjoyed the honesty and sincerity of you last post. I look forward to getting better acquainted. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. Fabulous post Bonnie...I love all your words and it was so sweet to hear you being called 'Miss Bonnie'. I know the feeling about radio and words. I listen to the BBC...there are so many stations, I often lose count but I prefer words to music when I drive. I just returned from a four hour drive..where I listed to Evelyn Waugh's book, 'A Handful of Dust'...just me, all those words and endless miles in front of me, I was happy as a clam!

    Sending very best wishes Bonnie to you and your wonderful words...

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, audio books are wonderful for driving. I find I am a better focused driver; I am never overly anxious to get to my destination. I will check out the book title. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  10. I love all words as long as they are spelled properly. Their usage doesn't bother me, especially in the blogging world where we all tend to get a bit silly at times. Freedom of speech is delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, Spell check has actually hindered spelling more than it has helped, I think. We no longer need to think for ourselves. With that said. I have had my mac change a spelling which didn't need changing giving my sentence a completely different meaning. It can sometimes be frustrating. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was young I had a girlfriend who came from a very refined family, and her mother always used to say things like "don't say it is cheap, say it is inexpensive", and "women wear slacks, men wear trousers".

    ReplyDelete
  13. testing, 1, 2, 3!! lets see how we do!!

    i am still getting the word verification, is that the way you want it??

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading the post, I have to tell you that my favorite word is "freedom". Freedom to speak any word that I want. Least favorite word... I don't really have one, although their are a few I would rather not hear.

    ReplyDelete