Sunday, April 15, 2012

More Books



"Did you read Beryl Markham's book, West with the Night?  I knew her fairly well in Africa and never would have suspected that she could and would put pen to paper except to write in her flyer's log book.  As it is, she has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer.  I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen.  But (she) can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves writers.  The only parts of it that I know about personally, on account of having been there at the time and heard the other people's stories, are absolutely true. . . .I wish you would get it and read it because it is really a bloody wonderful book."
---Ernest Hemingway


I just finished Beryl Markham's autobiography, West with The Night.  It is the book we will be discussing next month when the Book Belles meet.  As I often say, this book was nowhere near my radar;  hearing it described as similar to Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa I couldn't wait to begin.  From the opening paragraph to the last word, I was not disappointed.  She shares with us her love of Africa and heart-stopping adventures.  We are with her when as a young girl she is attacked by a lion and when she becomes the first woman to attempt flying across the Atlantic from Abingdon, England to New York.  

Upon researching Ms. Markham I learned she was abandoned by her mother at the age of four and that she had relationships, marriages and children during the years of which she writes.  While these facts might have added drama and pages to her book I appreciate she chose to tell only the story of her life that defined her as an explorer and which led her to the twenty one hour, twenty five minute Atlantic flight.  She allowed, for whatever reason,  her intimate life to remain private.

I am not as eloquent as Mr. Hemingway, so I will only second his statement...
"I wish you would get it and read it, because it is really a bloody wonderful book."

(The above excerpt is of a letter from Ernest Hemingway to Maxwell Perkins

 taken from the back jacket of Beryl Markham's book)

******

Earlier this week I also read A.S. Byatt's The Matisse Stories.


The Matisse Stories

Byatt does not tell us a story about Matisse, but uses several of his paintings as inspiration to create a trio of insightful and timely short stories.  In these beautifully written tales we are confronted with aging, professional jealousy and sexual harassment.

A.S. Byatt never fails to give the reader a wonderful read.

Happy Reading!


18 comments:

  1. oh bonnie, those peonies are just gorgeous!! and your new header picture, WoW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures.

    West With The Night sounds like a very good book. I am reading Game Change right now, and I am not sure why. I will get through it though, as I try my best to finish whatever I begin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    The Beryl Markham sounds to be a most fascinating read. We much enjoy biographies generally, and this one has an appeal for, very largely from what you say, it relates to a lifetime closely connected with Africa, a country about which we know all too little.

    We are rather ashamed to say that for some reason we do not get on with the novels of A. S. Byatt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your wonderful reviews. I don't know Beryl Markham at all, but she sounds truly fascinating. What a pioneer! And the Matisse Stories sounds good too - Byatt is a master.

    By the way, is that Anne Lamott quote new to your blog? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well how could I pass up a 'bloody good book'??? Nope, I haven't read it but now I'm gonna have too for sure!

    Thanks for the heads up...I'm always on a snoop for a great book for my winters read list!

    God bless ya and have yourself a glorious week sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arleen, Even though I often say there are too many good books to spend time with a bad one, I find I most often find myself finishing what I begin. I am not familiar with "Game Change". Enjoy your evening. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane and Lance, It is my dream to one day go to Africa even though the world I visualize in my mind's eye is probably not the one I will find. For now my visits will be through literature.

    I often check out an author or title someone raves about only to find we are not a good match. How fortunate we are to have so many wonderful authors to read, reread and to discover. I suspect you are more knowledgeable on the subject than I.

    As always, thank you for your kind comments. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I became a admirer of Ms. Markham after reading her autobiography. She was amazing.

    Have you read Byatt's " The Children's Book". I just picked it up last week. I have yet to begin.

    I have had the Lamott quote up for probably well over a year. I, too, really like it.

    I hope you had a terrific day! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you are one of the only people I know who are familiar with West With The Night. I read her book many years ago and reread it a few years back. Her writing is simply eloquent and I even did a blog post about the elephant story, and one about Bombafu! The woman was immensely talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, such a great post about books! I love that quote by Hemingway about Beryl Markham's book. I remember reading it many years ago in a book group I am no longer in. I really enjoyed it but one of the members hated it and trashed it so badly that I could barely collect my thoughts. And I had chosen it! Sadly my memory of that book is wrapped up in the memory of an uncomfortable book club experience. Isn't that crazy? The A.S. Byatt book sounds excellent and I have only read one of her other books, "Possession," which I loved! Happy reading to you also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the work of Matisse, and I love the idea of someone using his paintings as the inspiration for stories - what an utterly intriguing idea. I haven't read any A.S. Byatt, but you've inspired me to hunt this one down - many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunday, I am so sorry you had such a disappointing experience with a book group member. No matter how one feels about a book, there is never a reason to make one feel bad. And to have the experience shadow what I believe to be a wonderful piece. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs. Sutton, If you do indeed read Byatt, I would love to hear your opinion. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. how interesting! can you imagine Hemmingway saying that about your book?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of these sound like great reads! Thanks for sharing. And I love the name of your book club, "Book Belles"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Remarkable woman. But how sad to be abandoned, this might have led her to downgrade her own relationships - or do you think it just made her stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm reading West with the Night right now. It is an extraordinary book. So far she has been attacked by a lion and her father's pet baboon, rescued her dog from the jaws of a leopard, hunted wild boar with local tribesman and been thrown from a stallion and knocked unconscious and she's still only fifteen. I can barely keep up!

    ReplyDelete