Thursday, May 3, 2012

Paints, Portraits and Ponderings

This time of year is impossible.  There is just not enough time to get everything accomplished.  There is program art, program practice, the end of the year program, work to be finished, books to be read, end-of the-year books to begin and finish....and the list just goes on.   The sun is out, the warm winds are blowing and the children do not have a care in regards to my to-do list.  Their thoughts and limbs long to swing, jump and run around on the playground.  While I worry about what is left to do, I know when I awake the morning of the last day of school (three weeks away), somehow I will find everything is finished and as it should be.  


One of my moms emailed me an afternoon earlier this week to give me some information, and added she was already sad thinking about the end of school.  I sent a rather abrupt email,  "I can't think about it".  And, I can't.  Even though these last weeks could take even the strongest of men to their  knees,  I am always sad to send my little ones on their way.  In my eyes, no one will ever appreciate them the way I do.  Of course, this is not true, but it is what my heart tells me.


These last two weeks the children have had a lot of free time playing in the room as I worked with each child, individually, on their portraits.  I bring my paint brushes from home, and as we we work I talk to them about art and artist.  Even the children who resist picking up a crayon are excited to begin their own portrait.  We work in stages beginning with the head, hair and face then onto the clothes, allowing each to dry before continuing.  Each morning they critique their progress.  One will say "I don't have a nose, I can't smell".  Another will answer "When will I paint my feet?  I need feet to walk."  

Some will want to paint the clothes they are wearing, while others will create a brand new look.  It is amazing when finished I actually see a resemblance. 



Yesterday while listening to the children one said with a smile, "I did that a fast a monkey in the sun".  After repeating it several times (I have never heard it before...I am clueless) she giggled and continued, Miss Bonnie, I love saying that."  Her remark began the children repeating little things they have heard others say.  I wish I had thought to write them all down, but I was having too much fun listening while pretending not to.  Finally one child, pointing his finger to the ceiling, in the most statesman like manner,  said, "And (pause) never bite your fingers that you eat your food with."  There was complete silence...no sound to hide my own giggling.  Aren't children the most delightful beings?

The children have painted themselves, but they still have the most important masterpiece to begin.


My favorite project!

Tonight is book group, with so much to do I truly should stay home and work, however, I am going to go and spend a little time talking about  "West with the Night" .  I will then limit my outings and all will be finished....

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your students' great artwork with us. And what great advice from the young sage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, Thank you! Although the work is guided, they work very hard and do a wonderful job. I am always so proud of them. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. So cute! Love the portrait of you, Miss Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, It is truly on of my favorite art projects. This one was from a couple of years ago. I can't wait for this years batch. They are all very different. Some focus on my curly hair and some are more interested in drawing in my glasses or earrings. It is one project I do not help with or offer suggestions. It is 100% their work. Bonnie

      Delete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    Parting is, indeed, such sweet sorrow. But when, in three weeks' time, the children do go, they will leave you in the certain knowledge that you have given of yourself as a true professional, have without doubt widened their horizons and, most assuredly, have added huge enrichment to their lives which, in their own ways, they have done also for you. The portraits are fantastic. What a superb idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, Thank you for your kind words. The end of school is bittersweet. Each year I leave knowing I just had the best class, but then the bell rings on the first day and in walk my new group.

      The portraits are always a favorite project. Children love to create. Enjoy your weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. How you make me long to be back in a classroom. I adore the self portrait project and the portraits of you projects.

    I can compeltely relate when you say that you feel no one will appreciate them the way you do. I felt the same way sending those little treasures out the door on that last day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, You should dust off those old lesson plans and walk back through the classroom door. I am at a point when each year I say it is my last, but I continue to return. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. You will be the teacher they all remember...that special one we can all recall from our childhood that made the biggest impression on us. It's a honor to be such an important part of a child's life.
    I hope you post the portraits they all do of you. :)

    Have the most pleasant weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, You are so kind. It is a privilege to work with these children each day. I will share the portraits. Hope your weekend is wonderful. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. How delightful, I love those expressions from your students! Sounds as if you are super busy and doing such rewarding work. I hope you have a great book club meeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, I thought of you last evening while discussing "West with the Night". It was one of our best discussions. We did have a couple members that were somewhat critical and dismissive. Have a wonderful weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. My children were always fortunate to have great elementary school teachers. I had withdrawal symptoms at the end of every school year!!

    Enjoy your last few weeks with your children.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Thank you. It will be a very busy end of the year. It is always bittersweet. Bonnie

      Delete
  8. My 16 year olds are just on the point of leaving me and moving to new schools and colleges. I completely understand how you're feeling at the moment. We have a 'Leavers Concert' planned for next Tuesday. I know that I'm going to spend a few hours in floods of tears.... they've been great kids to work with. All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, We are always so busy up until the last day. I usually hits me as the children begin to arrive on the last morning. I know you concert will be wonderful! Bonnie

      Delete
  9. Miss Bonnie...you are adorable! How many Miss Bonnie pictures do you have from your classes...I see a fantastic art project coming out of that!
    Best wishes Bonnie for a wonderful weekend!!
    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, Thank you! I do not keep my portraits. They are bound into the end of the year books; I write my farewell message on the facing page. I do take photographs. They truly do a wonderful job. Have a wonderful weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  10. I am a Special Education Para Professional. I have had the same boys for two full years and some of them I've supported since second grade. My boys will move on to fifth grade at a different school. To say that I am heart broken is an under statement. I can't even talk about because I begin to cry. I will never let myself get attached like this again. It hurts too much. Anyway, I know what you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have my children for a year, but many are siblings of children from earlier years. They become my family. I cannot imagine giving up a child after multiple years. I will be thinking of you. Have a wonderful weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  11. thank you for being such a loving teacher and appreciating children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable the children's pictures are, and I can see how having them paint themselves would make them very interested. Hope you get through the next few weeks so you can relax this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, Thank you. The children are always so proud of their self-portraits. These last days will fly by. Bonnie

      Delete
  13. I love reading about your students. You may be sending them on their way soon, but what an amazing teacher they had this past year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuzu, Thank you! I love writing about my students. I do have to be very careful with what I share. I am fortunate to be surrounded with wonderful friends and teachers. Bonnie

      Delete
  14. bonnie, you were born to be an educator, a teacher and an inspiration to children.

    you have given them amazing gifts!! xo

    ReplyDelete