Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Morville Hours

"Nowadays, adrift in an affectless no-man's-land, we are cut off not only from the hopes and fears, the triumphs and despairs of the agricultural year, but from the shared emotions of the great story which plays itself out month by month in the liturgical year.  The twenty-first century is fighting a losing battle to keep its calendar.  Gardeners of course have never lost it."  ...Katherine Swift


Morville Hours: The Story of a Garden


Good Friday was an appropriate day to finish reading Katherine Swift's The Morville Hours: The Story of a Garden.   When I began a couple of weeks ago I knew it was not going to be a quick read.  There would be some reading,  research and rereading.

Katherine Swift moved into the Dower House in Shropshire, UK in 1988 with a desire to develop gardens on the estate.   The National Trust ask for a three dimensional design.  Instead she wrote of her visions.  With only her words and some well placed support her ideas were ultimately approved.


Using the ancient Book of Hours as her outline she takes us on the journey of building the gardens on the Shropshire estate.  Beginning with Vigils, the opening of the monastic day, we travel through the hours, days and seasons of the garden's birth and life.   

Through each of the hours, Vigils, Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and finally Compline, we are given lessons in history, botany, astronomy and  theology.   She shares with us her successes, failures, sorrows and patience.  


My favorite section is the last, Compline, the last hour before bedtime.  And, as I said, entering and finishing this chapter on Good Friday seemed right.   


Talking about her last moments with her father she writes:

"In an interview given to the New York Times in 1998 Sir Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal, formulated the now famous proposition that we are all composed of the dust of long-dead stars.  When the Milky Way was formed, about ten billion years ago, it contained only the simplest of atoms, hydrogen and helium.  Then the first stars formed, and the building blocks of life - carbon, oxygen and the rest of the periodic table - were created from hydrogen and helium through the nuclear fusion that kept the stars shining.  In time these stars ran out of fuel, exploded into supernovae, and threw all the atoms back into space.  New stars gradually condensed out of the debris.  One of them was our sun with our group of planets orbiting it.  All the atoms there are - you, me, the garden, Pa - were once inside a star, and will be again."


The Pleiades
image via NASA
I have never found it difficult to merge science and faith.  To me, they make perfect companions; one not demanding to be chosen over the other.  I find it rather comforting to think one day I may be one of the stars overhead.


I borrowed The Morville Hours from the library and it must  be returned.  I am hoping to soon have it in my own personal library. 

Enjoy!







15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful book. I too have no trouble merging both science and faith. Have a blessed and Happy Easter. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is sitting on the table beside me. I want to start it as I start to work in our garden. I've always thought that science and faith complement each other.

    Hope you have a lovely day!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways. How did we grow food and gardens for all these thousands of years without modern technology and harmful pesticides?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an interesting book to read. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.Your pictures are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bonnie I do hope you enjoy it. I found it so interesting on so many levels. I loved the way she set up the book and the history. Let me know! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting..and sounds like a book I would enjoy. when I see the couple simplicity in science, like the flowers, the table of elements....I can't imagine how anyone could ever doubt?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a very interesting book. Might have to check it out from the Library.
    Hope you had good Easter Holidays!
    Your pics are beautiful.
    Take care!...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post! I don't have a problem with faith and science working together either. The writing sounds beautiful, and there's no higher praise than to buy a copy of a book that you've already read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i would love to reply that i have read it but you know i have not!! none the less, this was a thought provoking entry filled with wonderful pictures for me!! because you know i am a picture kinda girl ;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi... Thank you! If you do check it out I hope you enjoy it. Thanks, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, Thank you! I would love to read it again reading each chapter on the timeline it was written. Have a great week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree about merging Science and faith too, Bonnie. A lovely post for Easter time, thank you. I'm just about to post my answers from the 'tag' game you set me back in March!I hope you find them interesting and thank you for including me. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. I especially love the quote you shared. In fact I was just talking with my dad over the phone yesterday about this very thing. How we could never truly be alone because we are all a small part of this ever-changing, magnificent universe.
    Wishing you a lovely one!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful post. I can't wait to read this book. I agree with you, I have always thought both science and faith can exist side by side as well. What a lovely thought about the stars. And I love books about gardens and gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your new look!!! Sorry I have been a stranger...but you will come to find that I check in and out of "blog world" depending on my home life situation! It is always like putting that old comfy blanket around me when I have time to sit and check my "friend's" blogs and catch up on their lives...Each person gives me pearls of wisdom...you make me remember the joy of reading! I used to read all the time but have gotten out of the habit...so I am going to make a commitment to myself to schedule some reading time into my life...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete