Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lessons in the Garden



“Let us be grateful to people who make us happy;
they are the charming gardeners
who make our souls bloom.” 

...M. Proust



With the lack of winter and the early onset of spring things which normally do not begin blooming until May are bursting open.   While I welcome all the foliage, flowers and beautiful colors,


 those things which show up in April have sadly come and gone.  We've had a few days nearing 90 degrees, if not above, with little rain.


Early spring flowers fade all too quickly in these temperatures.


My beautiful lilacs, the willing host of a band of inebriated bumblebees, quickly grew tired, faded and disappeared.

The garden, like life, occasionally finds it necessary to kick us in the shin and show us who is really in control.    


Trying to not let the premature warm weather get the best of me, I summoned my "glass half full" attitude and...
went to the closest nursery!

You seriously don't think I go to the garden center to just get ideas, do you?


This was only the first trip. 

Lots of activity going on. 
Many pots to fill
                        

old


and new.


Some needed to


monkey around.
(Doesn't he dress up nicely?)

Some just begged for a little attention.


A snip here...a trim there.

There was a little matchmaking.


Delta Dawn heuchera paired off with the Big Daddy hydrangea.
Tennessee Williams could not have created a more perfect couple.


Last year an older gentleman ask if he could walk back to see the backyard.  When we turn the corner, surprised with what he found, he said, "Oh this is like the Garden of Eden.  This is how it is suppose to be."  (He was over complimentary and I was smitten.)

And yes,

 just like in Eden there is always the surprise visitor



in the garden.

Enjoy every surprise; it is a gift given to teach....patience, flexibility, tolerance,  and above all humility.




18 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    Indeed let us be grateful for people, and posts, which make us happy. And on this Maundy Thursday you, and what you have shown here, have done just that. So much colour, so much interest and so many wonderfully planted containers which will, we know, be a constant source of pleasure all through the coming months.

    We wish you much joy and happiness this Eastertide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always poetic and beautiful. I love the color of your clematis and dogwood. Still loving your monkey too. He looks so much stronger holding up the pot when it's full.

    Happy Easter!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's only one thing I need to make my garden visit with you complete--a glass of sweet tea, lots of ice and a wedge of lemon!! Spring is beginning to fade here. Alas, it is too early to plant in containers. Soon, I hope!


    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I love your containers and the plants in them.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every girl needs her very own garter snake!

    Your planters are lovely! The most difficult thing about this spring is knowing WHEN to do things. Normally I wouldn't consider putting together the pots until May 1st, but it's so darned warm that I think I could do it now, but haven't yet finished all the March or April duties. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane and Lance...I hope I did bring a smile or two as we come to the end of this time of quiet reflection, progressing toward the celebration of the resurrection and the gifts given. May you have a joyous Easter. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, You are too kind. Thank you! Oh my, Monkey does look rather handsome doesn't he? Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, Come on over, it is waiting for you.

    I never plant this early, but I am afraid the heat is really going to hit us in the next few weeks. Our last freeze date is next week. I don't think we have reason to fear a sudden freeze.

    Happy Easter, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Webb, I actually have a family of garter snakes. I once knew exactly where they lived, but they have moved. They do not bother me; I just don't want to be surprised. I had to throw out the gardening calendar this year. Happy Easter, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Proust quote, and your pictures are all lovely. (Very funny final photo too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about things you once looked forward to enjoying in April, have been here and gone already. This Easter, when all my family will visit, most of the spring blooms will be spent and it is too early to plant the summer annuals. I still have some tulips though, and that makes me happy.

    I love beautiful pots (actually, I am obsessed with them), and yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth, Yes my little friend is quite comfortable hanging out with us. I am okay as long as he doesn't feel compelled to come in the house or slither across my foot. I want him to stay where he belongs. Bonnie

    Arleen, We are putting in annuals early this year. I don't think we have anything to worry about, but then I am not really in control am I? Have a wonderful Easter weekend. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is beautiful! Enjoy all the new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. bonnie....everything is looking just beautiful!! i remember "mr. monkey"...you were very lucky to get him to come home with you ;)

    i like how you rubber banded your bulbs for them to die off, that's a great idea. i saw on a blog where a woman braided them. it looked amazing but seemed like a lot of work!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie...I love the way you think , I would have done the same. I think your words to the situation are truly inspiring. Getting into it and making the most of the weather will provide you with a beautiful garden this year. Keep adding and live happily in Eden! Best wishes for a Happy Easter Bonnie and thanks so much for your lovely comments as I travel... Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie:

    Love your plant containers.....they are so pretty! Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep marveling at the lushness of my April garden and wondering if anything will be left to bloom in August! But the garden center is certainly the answer to this dilemma... that, and seeds.
    I love your choice planters and even the snake.He looks like he is made of brass, but I suspect he is the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got the gardening itch and your post and pictures are only making it worse (in a good way, of course). Everything is beautiful already, but it's sure to be glorious in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete