Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lost in Paris


 I finished reading Dancing With Degas , Kathryn Wagner, the first of last week.   It was my favorite kind of book.  A book, when reading,  I can't wait to turn the page; when finished I find myself lost.

It was the kind of book, when finished, that sends me rushing out to the bookstore or the library to find the next wonderful read, knowing I won't enjoy my next selection quite as much.

I loved Dancing With Degas for the same reason I loved the movie "Midnight in Paris".  With each turn of the page I knew I would find someone familiar.   When watching "Midnight...."  I felt like it was I meeting up with the likes of Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Stein.  When the main character traveled even further back, I knew the moment they would meet up with Toulous Lautrec.


I unexpectedly found Renoir and Degas sitting at the same table.

While reading Dancing With Degas I followed Alexandrie's preparation and entrance into the Paris Opera Ballet, I walked the back streets of Paris and visited with Cezanne, Monet, Manet, and, of course, Degas along with other artist of the time.  Although fiction, I felt I was an active participant in intimate conversations between some of the great names in the artist community of the time.

Upon finishing I returned my book to the library and began browsing the stacks for my next great escape.  I knew, after depositing the book into the return slot, I should have turned around and walked away.  Instead, I returned home with three books in my bag.  I opened each one; read a couple of pages.  I stacked them, moved them from room to room and carried one or two of them to bed.   I returned them  to the library two days later without really ever beginning even one.

I received an email from someone who suggested I might enjoy Claude and Camille.  She continued to say she would be interested to know what I thought.

Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet
I am hopeless!
By the end of the day the book was mine.


If you need me, you may find me strolling across Monet's Japanese bridge at Giverny.

I am once again lost in Paris...at least for a few stolen minutes a day.



images are  my photos    
with the exception of the book cover 
via Goodreads











5 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    You capture so beautifully here that wonderful feeling of being lost in a book until the final page is turned. And then, bereft, one often seeks for some considerable time to find a suitable new companion. How lovely that you have a new best friend in 'Claude and Camille'...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane and Lance,

    It is so good to hear from you. Thank you so much for your kind words. I am afraid I can become a little over excited when talking about a book I have so enjoyed.

    I think of you often and hope all is going well.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful to be a romantic! Dancing with Degas sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know, that feeling of becoming one with a book, as if you are one of the characters right in the middle of it all, and you never want it to end. And then, we look for our next fix. It's a wonderful addiction, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete