Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rainy Weekend

“The person who deserves most pity is a lonesome one on a rainy day who doesn't know how to read.” 
...Benjamin Franklin


We are expecting rain later this afternoon or in the early evening.  I actually thought it would start raining early and rain all day; I completed my errands early.   I'm involved with a book I would really love to curl up with and finish.

Dancing for Degas

I picked it up at the library a week or so ago.
The blurb on the cover read
"Like Tracy Chevalier, Wagner imagines how layers of meaning pervade works of art."  Publisher's Weekly


Placing Dancing For Degas in my book bag, I took the bait and headed over to find Tracy Chevalier.  I read The Girl With the Pearl Earring shortly after it was released; I liked it, but it wasn't a favorite.  I read Remarkable Creatures a couple of years ago and loved it.  I found Falling Angels waiting for me to pause and take it from the shelf.   I didn't find it spellbinding. I was, however, drawn in and compelled to continue to turn the page.  It was a good read.

Dancing for Degas, Katheryn Wagner,  has received mixed reviews (from readers).  So far I'm intrigued and look forward to continue reading.  You know I'll share my opinion when I finish.

Here are a few other books I've enjoyed over the past few months.
(I'm not going to try not to repeat any reviewed in earlier posts)

The Judges,  Eli Wiesel
It wasn't what I was expecting, but I found it intriguing.  Mr. Wiesel writes with a message.
The Ponder Heart, Eudora Welty
A story only Eudora Welty could successfully tell.  Loved it.
Daphne, Justine Picardie
Follows Daphne du Maurier's obsession with the Brontes.  It was a great book to read while traveling.  Made me want to pick up and reread something by the Brontes.  I am definitely going to reread Rebecca.
Isaac's Storm,  Erik Larson
This was a book group book and I was not looking forward to it; I had heard it was very technical.  It is an account of the hurricane that destroyed Galveston, Texas at the turn of the twentieth century.  I didn't find it overly technical at all.  I loved it.
The Gardener's Gripe Book, Abby Adams
An entertaining gardening advice book written by a non-professional.  If you've ever killed a plant,  wondered if growing a lawn is environmentally "green" or wondered why those flower seeds you threw out in you flower bed didn't come up creating the beautiful cutting garden you envisioned, you will love this how-to, or maybe how not to book.  A great book to whet your appetite for spring.


When I finish ".....Degas" I always have an ongoing project in my knitting basket.  Maybe there will be a wonderful movie to watch.....


What do you enjoy doing on a rainy day?



21 comments:

  1. I read a good review in our paper on Dancing for Degas and noted it down for future reading. I will definitely read the Eli Wiesel book and The Gardner's Gripe Book is right up my alley.

    I am having some eye surgery this week and "look" forward to spending time catching up on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you enjoyed your afternoon of reading. Sounds delightful!

    Bonnie, I do hate to say this but I probably won't be here to comment much anymore, if at all. I just can't take the new word verification blogger has changed to. It's very hard for me to decipher the codes. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a delightful weekend! I hope you get the good kind of rain with some thunder. Thunderstorms and a good book make the best couple.

    One of my favorite things to do when it rains is to clean my house. I love the smell of a freshly cleaned house mixed with the smell of rain.

    Enjoy your quiet time this weekend!
    xo Sarah

    ps I can't read the word verification either...it seems they are making it harder everyday to read the words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new header photo. I love reading to Drew on a rainy day. Or, just staring at my garden and making plans for the spring. Happy weekend.

    p.s are you Bonnie G?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preparing for 2-4 inches of snow here, so bought chili supplies and good bread yesterday. Will gas-up the van today and back it into the carport and then chill a bit of wine.

    Have charged up the Kindle and got two books from the library, so bring it on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Bonnie! It's off. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a rainy day I love to read, but then I love to read every day, it is just finding the time. Thanks so much for all the wonderful book tips. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your current book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading in winter - thank you for sharing all these great reviews!!!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curling up with a good book is definitely the best way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arleen, I have been thinking about you. I knew your eye surgery was coming up. We will be chatting about books before you know it. Hugs! Bonnie

    Webb, Sound perfect to me. Enjoy! I would love to hear what you are reading. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zuzu and Lana, It sounds as though we are kindred spirits. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dancing with Degas looks like it might be a good read. I love cirling up with a good book on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to sit inside and read on a rainy day too. It makes me feel a bit smug that nobody's going to be expecting me to go out and do anything energetic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ally, I have really enjoyed "Dancing with Degas". I don't want to leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenny, Everyone needs a time when no one is needing their time. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read this book. Thanks for the recommendation. So far, my favorite novel about an artist is "The Passion of Artemisia" by Susan Vreeland. Artemisia was a remarkable woman and artist.

    I've had some trouble posting on your blog. Just can't seem to get the second (fuzzy) word right. I'll keep trying.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to simmer somethin' on the stove, curl up next to the fireplace with a great book, plug in a movie and putter 'round the old homestead.

    God bless ya and have an amazin' day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, I've picked up "The Passion...." I'm am looking forward to reading it. I took the word verification off, but changed address to "no reply". I hated doing it, but I felt I needed some control. I don't know what they are thinking..... Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nezzy, you are my kind of girl!! Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love rainy days. With all of the things you love to do I think you need a rainy WEEK.

    ReplyDelete