Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why?


It was a beautiful morning to go to The Pumpkin Patch with my children.  Everyone had a great time!  Usually I have several children following behind me.  This year I had difficulty getting many of them to smile for a picture.  I suspect they knew their Moms and Dads held the real power.

I always enjoy walking around watching and helping the children make the perfect pumpkin selection.  Some will look for the biggest.  Some want a smooth pumpkin.  Others are looking for a long stem.  Then, there are the children who let their Moms make the decision.  I always try to take a picture of them holding their treasure.

This morning while waiting for everyone to arrive, I had one little boy run up to me to give me a hug.  I noticed he brought along a toy.   I ask him, "M... what did you bring with you?"  His face lit up as he gave me a fabulous smile, "Miss Bonnie, I brought my measuring tape.  I'm going to measure my pumpkin."  You guessed it, he was going to be looking for a big one.  After the instructions were given about where we could pick and how many (one), I noticed my little boy stand up and raise his measuring tape above his head. No one was looking his way.   I ask everyone to look at me, "If you want to measure your pumpkin, M... brought his measuring tape."  There was such pride on his face.

You ask why I teach?  I just gave you my answer.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Bonnie! Having thoughtful, sensitive teachers makes such a difference in a child's life. Encouraging their creativity and imagination this way helps make learning so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love it - you are a wonderful, thoughtful, sensitive teacher for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I try, some days I am better than others.

    ReplyDelete