Friday, October 1, 2010

Time Passes


I do not do very well with change. I like to say I am flexible; I'm not really. I like routine. I like status quo. I suppose you could say I'm not very progressive.

A couple of weekends ago while out and about running errands I passed "our" video store and saw the "going out of business" sign. A wave a sadness washed over me. We no longer rent a lot of movies, so I suppose in some small way I have to take some responsibility for their demise. Although I suspect "Movies on Demand" (I think we have that; I can't figure it out though. We tried to order a movie once. We watched the first 30 minutes, or so, and it cut off. We got our bill and discovered we were charged three times for that movie. They were very apologetic and gave us a month upgrade with more movie channels for us not to watch.)  and Netflixs have a lot to do with it.

I wonder who will help me find that old obscure movie I've been thinking about lately.... You know... it had some actress Clayburn or Clayburgh.....you know, yes, Jill Clayburgh. It starts out with her jogging with her husband through... Manhattan, maybe? He stops and tells her he is having an affair...he leaves, she kicks him out I can't remember. . .anyway she becomes involved with an Artist, Alan Bates (whew!  I don't know where I pulled that bit of information from) maybe? It came out sometime around '78 or '79 maybe. I think sometime between "The Goodbye Girl" and "Apocalypse Now" I think it was up for several awards. Yes, that's it ..."An Unmarried Woman". I don't think that is the conversation I will be having with Netflixs.

I would guess Netflixs is computerized. I can hear the conversation going something like this. Please state the genre' of movie you are wanting. Please speak clearly into the phone. If you want an adventure movie say "adventure movie". Drama...Did you say comedy? Please say yes or no. No.... What did you say? I said DRAMA... I'm sorry I don't understand you. Please speak clearly into the phone. I SAID DRA.A.MA.A...I'm sorry let's try this another way. For an adventure movie please press "1" now. For a comedy movie please press "2" now.......Geez! I'm sorry I can't understand you. Please hold for a customer service representative (meaning a live person).

Oh please, say it isn't so? I've been outsourced!

Maybe I should just hit that DVD sale!

I will miss you Premier. Thank you for remembering all those old movies when all I could offer were snippets of information. Thank you for letting me bring my puppy in with me and making a fuss over him. Thank you for always reminding me my movies were due back even if there was an ice or snow storm. Thank you for making me feel safe when it was just me and that really weird guy over on the action aisle in the store. Thank you for being a part of our community. I'm sad to see you go. Good Luck!


(I humbly apologize for all the grammatical mistakes; sometimes you just have to tell the story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment