Saturday, October 2, 2010

October


I know the Autumn equinox occurs around September 22; for me, October ushers her in. The temperatures finally start going down, and Mother Nature dons her most beautiful and organic colors before shedding her clothes for a winter's nap.

Hydrangeas are one of my favorite plants. I will find any excuse to add to my collection; each one has a special meaning. I have an Oakleaf that anchors one corner reminding me of my introduction to gardening. I planted an Everlasting the weekend Heather and Kyle became engaged, and the Bridal Wreath the week after their wedding. (My hope is one day I can give them cuttings for their own garden.) I have three, given to me by students. They are actually florist hydrangeas. Most are discarded once the blooms die; being pretty much fearless in the garden, I planted them. I found it takes three years for them to rebloom. The plants stay fairly small, but they give the really heavy dense mopheads. I planted Red Ladies because I love the color red. I have lace-caps, mopheads and varigated.

I anxiously await the first blooms. Most hydrangeas bloom on old wood, and I am never completely confident I clip the old blooms at the best time for a good blooming season. You see, even though I love the blues, pinks, greens and whites of the spring blooms, the antique and transparent greens, bluegreens and deep purples are my favorites. They are the jewels that perfectly set off the scarlet reds of the maples and the deep oranges and yellows of the oaks.

I've been told I have a talent for putting together unusual color combinations. I say just look out your window. There are no mistakes out there. Autumn gives us the most fabulous and inspiring palette of the year -- free of charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment