Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Special Visit

 I had the chance, this past week, to spend three days with my mentor,  my hero, my biggest fan, my Daddy.   It was not a visit I had planned.  I traveled to Louisiana to be with him while he was undergoing  medical tests.   We had this picture taken just before we got in the car to head to the hospital (can you believe he is 93).  I felt it was very important to have this picture taken.  We were both nervous, but neither would admit it.  We both knew the outcome, but neither would talk of it.  By the end of the day Daddy had been diagnosed with cancer.  Daddy was physically exhausted; I was emotionally exhausted.  We were both overwhelmed.

The thing about life threatening illnesses is one person tells a lot of stories;  the other  does a lot  of listening.  I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of wonderful stories from my  Daddy's past.  Many of the stories I have heard many times, but they took on new significance this time.

No one really knows how this story will end.  I do know I will visit this wonderful man (yes, I have always felt this way about my Dad) as often as he will allow.  I will listen and record as many stories as he is up to sharing.  His past is my history.  I will champion his fight.  I will respect and honor any decision he makes.  And I will be blessed.

This story is about my Daddy and me; however,  I cannot leave it without saying I have a stepmother who loves him and is a blessing to me. I also have  a step-sister I would happily call Sis.

6 comments:

  1. I will add your dad to my daily prayers. Where in Louisiana is he? Maybe we can carpool - I am trying to get down to visit MY dad in Louisiana with the kids sometime in the next month or so. Okay, maybe you don't want to ride with me and three kids ha! Anyway, I will be thinking of you and your dad lots as he goes through this journey. You are so absolutely right about the stories - I spent a Spring Break in college with my grandmother in Florida, doing nothing but sitting on the couch and listening. I'm so glad now that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your news...your Dad sounds like a wonderful man...Take notes during those stories, you always think you'll remember all the details but don't count on it. My Mom is 92 and I've recorded lots of her stories on tapes. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad looks so sweet! And does not look 93! Sorry to hear his news. You all are in my thoughts and prayers!

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, it's good to have your father with you into your adulthood. I know he must be proud of the person you are, happy to see that you've grown up to have a fulfilling life. As a parent yourself, you know that's the greatest gift. You're both in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello,

    what a touching story. both my parents have passed but we have my husbands father who will be 80 this year. you are so lucky to have had your dad in your adult years. i miss mine.
    thank you for sharing such a tender story.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bonnie, I am so sad to read this news about your father. I echo exactly how you feel about your relationship with him. I lost my father to lung cancer. He was 91 years old and lived several months longer than predicted as he was determined to see in the 21st century! I can say without doubt that he is the most important person in my life, and we had a very complete understanding of each other - "like two peas in a pod" my mother would say.

    I know that you will spend the time that you have left with your father wisely and well, to reminisce, to ask questions and to tell him often of your love and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete