Thursday, October 7, 2010

Book Group


Tonight is Book Group.  I have to say, I am really excited.  It is one thing I truly look forward to, and I have missed it so much.  This will be our fourth year together.

I had talked with a couple of friends several times about starting a group, but, like all things, life kept getting in the way.  I finally decided there was not going to be a perfect time.  I called up my two friends, added another and set a date to organize.   We decided on a meeting time, what we wanted to read, how many members we wanted and how we wanted to choose our material.  I didn't want it to be Bonnie's Book Group, so I ask each of them to invite up to three women.  I made only two request:  I wanted members who would really read the book selections and no self-help books (I was a psychology major.  They are only good until the next great one comes out.)  We were well on our way!

We are a mixed group.  Several of us are teachers (only two at the same school), active and retired.  We have an attorney, an actress who also writes, a jewelry designer, a photographer and a computer consultant.  Everyone brings a unique insight  to the table.


Our first  meeting of the "reading year" is taken up with putting together a list of books to read during our reading season, and signing up to host.  I had to miss the September meeting (my favorite) because I was busy moving into the new school building.   I will have a great evening chatting with this great group of women about our book, The Glass Castle".  I actually read it three years ago, so I read her newest book, Half Broke Horses.    Reviewing the list, I am anxious to see who nominated each book.

Book Belles 2010-11 Book List:

October - The Glass Castle or Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls (memoir)
November - Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (historical fiction)
December - The Nimrod Flipout, by Etgar Keret (humor, short stories)
January - Wives of Henry Oades, by Johana Moran (fiction)
February - Doomsday, Connie Willis (science fiction)
March - Woman in White, Wilkie Collins (classic)
April - Issac Newton, John Gleick (biography)
May - Stoner, John Williams (fiction)
June - Cutting for Stone, Abraham Verghese (international fiction)

A couple of these books would never have even appeared  on my radar.  They will probably end up being my  favorites.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. What a great list, Bonnie! I just got a copy of "The Glass Castle" and am looking forward to reading that. I know how hard it is to make a space in your life for a group like this--and you're right, you just have to DO it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very interesting and eclectic list! I've read The Glass Castle, but none of the others.

    I belong to a stitching group that, like you, I finally organized because the perfect time was just not going to happen. We have just started into our second year and enjoy our meetings so much.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I'm really enjoying reading yours as well!

    ReplyDelete