Thursday, August 23, 2018

Introducing Milk and Cookies

"Children are made readers on the 
laps of their parents."
Emilie Buchwald

Friends, it is back to school time.   I have had so much fun this past week and a half, following  my former pre-schoolers and sending happy messages on their first day.  There is just something exciting about a new school year.  I still have a little over a week before I head back, but I have been working in my classroom cleaning, sprucing-up and organizing.

One of my "jobs", besides teaching Pre-K 4, is taking care of our children's library.  Just before the school year begins, a teacher friend and I get to go to a local bookstore, spend a few hours perusing children's books and selecting a really nice bunch of books to bring back to the school for parent's to purchase and donate to our school library.  I may not be the perfect person for the job; I assure you, no one enjoys it more.

Now this is going to sound off track, but it is just an example of how my rambling 
crazy brain runs.

A few weeks ago, playing around in the kitchen, I was mixing up a batch of my, go to, chocolate chip cookies.  I am a bit like the the mouse in If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.  I can begin one thing which will make me think of something else, which will make me think of something else, and so on and so on.  You're following me, right?

image from Goodreads

So, while tossing together all the ingredients, I ventured down that street (you know the one I'm talking about) named Memory Lane.  I had those warm fuzzy memories of coming home from school, finding a plate of M &M cookies and a glass of milk waiting on the table.  I would sit on the kitchen stool while Mother cooked supper, and we would talk about my school day.    A couple of cookies and a glass of milk and I was an encyclopedia of all that happened in the classroom and on the playground.... no holding back... no secrets kept.  Trust me on this one, I was pretty much a sell-out for a good cookie.


I moved on from thinking of the past, to wishing I could share the cookies cooling on the rack with my grandchildren, after their first day of school.   I thought about how fun it would be to sit, with a warm cookie, a cold glass of milk in hand while sharing a book.

The light bulb went off!

Milk and Cookies
(and children's literature)

Again, I am throwing together a couple of my favorite things to share.


In addition to sharing my thoughts on the books I am enjoying, I am going to occasionally
share a favorite children's book and perhaps...
a cookie recipe (because you know I love to play in the kitchen).



I believe...

When we read, and share a love of reading, with children,
we are creating readers.
If you can read you can do anything.
If we create readers, and they can do anything...
Imagine the possibilities!

****

Readers, I love sharing the things that excite me, and make my heart smile, with you.   I love hearing your thoughts and ideas.  Writing and putting this out into space, tying it to my Instagram account,  is totally out of my comfort zone.  You make it easy, safe, and so much fun.  So.... using my best southern manners, I say....
Thank you so very much!

Have a great weekend friends,
do something that makes your heart sing
 and
Happy Reading!


12 comments:

  1. I have similar memories of coming home from school and having a snack that my mom made. Since I retired, I got to do that for some of my grandchildren on occasion. If I was there, they could always count on warm cookies when they returned from school. I sent my grandson some cookies this week at his first week in college. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know your grandson loved getting those cookies. What a special treat! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. What a great post! You know Bonnie, I think you have a gift for writing (yes, I've said it before). A children's book perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Thank you so much for your kind words! You made my day! I do love to write. I hope you have fun planned for the weekend. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Even though my parents were teachers, and I saw them at school,
    I remember coming home to milk and cookies many a day!

    I agree totally with this . . .

    “When we read, and share a love of reading, with children,
    we are creating readers.
    If you can read you can do anything.
    If we create readers, and they can do anything...
    Imagine the possibilities!”

    I am going to use your quote in an upcoming post.

    What is your favorite cookie to have with milk!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, thank you for your kind words. I 'm honored you want to use my words in a post. I don't drink dairy anymore, but I do love a ginger snaps with tea. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. As bolachinhas parecem ser deliciosas. Bom fim-de-semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are pretty tasty. I hope weekend is good as well.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes Bonnie - my mom often would have warm cookies waiting for my brother and I after school. Wonderful memories. Your posts never fail to delight me. So I in turn with my northern manners say thank you friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Thank you for your kind words. I always love hearing from you... Hugs!

      Delete
  6. oh warm, homemade cookies, yum!! i would love to "bee" a book lover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Thank you for staying with me and reading all my crazy posts on books. Hugs my friend!

      Delete