Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Wednesday Book Thoughts .... Why We Do the Things We Do

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances;
if there is any reaction, both are transformed."
C.G. Jung


(If you are finding this duplicated on your feed, I'm sorry.  There was a glitch!)

I discovered Anne Bogel around the first of the year.  Okay, this is not exactly true.  I discovered her blog, "The Modern Mrs. Darcy" and her podcast "What Should I Read Next" awhile back.  I only started faithfully following and listening around the first of the year.  I am embarrassed to admit I resisted enjoying Anne's writing and reading thoughts out of, perhaps..... envy?  She is doing what I have dreamed of for so long, and she does it really really well.   Her podcast is one source and cause of my TBR list being so long and growing.

When I discovered she had a book, Reading People, published last year, it immediately was placed on my summer reading list.   Seriously a book titled Reading People.  This was a book made for me.... a book about people who read.

Yep, here I am red-faced once again.  It only took a quick Goggle to find out Reading People is not about lovers of a good read, but about "seeing the world through the lens of personality" (it says that on the cover)... reading (a verb not an adjective) people.  It may have dropped a book or two down my list, but I was still intrigued.

Long ago in a faraway land and in another life, I administered personality test for a bank.   Part of the training to prepare for this project was to actually take the test.  I remember being told, along with my results,  I was perfect because I was a planner,  a people pleaser, and, this last description will be  branded in my brain forever,  pretty dull.

Today, this would not be much of a surprise, nor would it bother me so much, though being told you are dull is still a bit hurtful.    As a 26 year old.... I was devastated!

I spent years working to prove my results were manipulated... just plain wrong!  I worked tirelessly to overcome being shy and be the life of the party.  When you have to work at it, it is not always pretty.   I am here now, older and wiser, to tell you it was exhausting.  Oh, had I only had Reading People as a reference.

Not only does Ms. Bogel share her love of reading by offering book suggestions on her blog and podcast; she has given us an enlightening guide to explore why we are who we are and how we relate to those around us.  She shares her own stories, her curiosity, knowledge, and research in giving the reader the resources to discover the potential in not only ourselves, but those around us.  I felt like I was having a comfortable and fun discussion with a good friend.  Oh, there is plenty of literary comparisons for the bibliophile.  Yes, the books we love, the movies we watch, the characters we identify with may be a result of our personality.  Who knew?

If you have ever wondered why you couldn't understand a friends actions... plans... why you hear one thing and your spouse hears something totally different, this may be a book for you.  I loved it!   

Have you read this one?  I would love to hear your thoughts.
And let me know what you are reading!

Happy Reading Friends! 

        



8 comments:

  1. oh bonnie, it is when i come here that i am so sad that i do not read...that i can't remember what i have read from one page to the next. i enjoy your reviews so much, i read every word. they are just the right length that i can absorb them!!

    i really like your personality. if we met in "real life" i am sure we would be friends!! always "be yourself", we love you and everyone loved "belle"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I always love hearing from you! I know we would be fast friends! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. What is dull? That is a very subjective statement and depends on the personality judging it or the test looking for an outcome. Is introvert dull and extrovert interesting or is introvert intelligent and extrovert annoying? No one is just one dimension.

    I think that I am intuitive and can read people very well. When I meet someone, I notice how easily they smile (or don’t), if they speak kindly of others, and if they add something to the conversation or dominate they conversation. I like those who share my core values but it is good to have a mixture of personalities among one’s friends because it adds to joy and excitement of life.

    I am currently reading Manhattan Beach. It is a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlene, I just realized I can post relays again..... I have heard a lot of good things about Manhattan Beach. As much as I love reading, I just can’t read all the books on my TBR list.

      Delete
  3. I love The Modern Mrs. Darcy, there are always so many interesting posts on that blog. I must admit I did not know that she had written a book! I am going to have to get a copy. I hope that you are enjoying your summer, it looks like you have had a lot of time with the grandkids, although I am sure it is never enough.

    Have a great weekend Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth she has a new book coming out in Sept. I just pre-ordered “I’d Rather Be Reading”. It sounds like a perfect match for me! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a book that I would really enjoy. Being a people observer, I am always trying to figure people out. I can't believe somebody actually told you you were dull. Not everybody needs to be dancing on the tables to lead a fascinating life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think they are just telling me, in their words, what the test was showing. Perhaps they wanted to see my response. I am that INFJ person. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting.

      Delete