Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Wednesday Book Talk -- The Lost for Words Bookshop

"A bookshop is not magic, 
but it can heal your heart."
The Lost for Words Bookshop


When I see a book about books, bookshops, libraries or people who read books, it is a safe bet, I will be picking it up, (quoting my grandson) "because it is my favorite".  Perhaps I am drawn to these books because I understand the healing power of books and rooms filled with books.  If I begin to feel the world tumbling down, and that "half-full glass" of mine springs a leak,  I am most at home among books.  I can walk between the stacks of a library or bookshop, touch the bindings, breathe in aroma of paper and glue, and absolutely know, without a doubt, I am in the company of good friends.  There is someone somewhere within all those pages who can talk me off the cliff and ease whatever is worrying me.     

Sometimes... it is just the perfect place to hide.

The Lost for Words Bookshop is more about this refuge and the comfort we bibliophiles find within books and in those rooms filled with books, than books.   

Loveday is hurting.  She is wounded by the events of a childhood ended far too early.   Seeking shelter, she finds employment where she is most comfortable, a bookshop... a used-book bookshop owned by the most charming Archie  (oh, how I fell head over heels for this man).  Loveday is not a people person, and  enjoys the solitude she finds sitting at a hidden counter preparing newly acquired books for shelving, leaving the owner to most often handle the customers.

Three separate deliveries of books mysteriously appear, threatening to bring Loveday's past crashing into the present.    This collision may be what she needs to reconcile with her past and begin healing, but first she must discover if these books are a coincidence, or does someone know about her past and want to do harm.  

This one started a little slow.  It took a chapter or two to engage with Loveday, but I soon became very protective of her character.   There is mystery with a little bit of romance, and a lot of feel good.   The Lost for Words Bookshop is a nicely told tale with equally good character development.  If you enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (I loved it) or you know the healing power a room full of books can offer, The Lost For Words Bookshop may be your next perfect read!

Have you read this one?  
As always, I would love to hear your thoughts
and what you are reading.


*****

The Perfect Pairing

Archie is by far my favorite character in The Lost for Words Bookshop.  Oh how we all need an Archie in our life.   He would often treat Loveday with a hot chocolate and nibble from the cafe next door.   So to honor Archie, and to pair with The Lost for Words Bookshop I am offering up banana bread this morning.

Enjoy!



I will be sharing the recipe later this week!

Happy Reading Friends!

6 comments:

  1. I loved Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine! I'm going to look for this one as well. Thanks for the banana bread; it was delicious, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear from you.... I hope you enjoy the book! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. It is on the list . . . along with many others.
    I promise to let you know my thoughts if and when I get it read.

    I share your thoughts about books, book stores, old ones and new . . .
    I get lost “in the friendship” of books .. . .
    Thank you for the happy thought . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, I look forward to your thoughts! Happy weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Bonnie, your banana bread looks soooo good. Would love a slice or two with a pot of tea and, of course, a good book. Oh … and a cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, Thank you! Oh it is best with a cup of tea. I hope you are looking forward to a fun weekend. Hugs!

      Delete