Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Book Talk Wednesday-- Southernmost

'The rain had been falling with a pounding meanness without ceasing for two days and then the water rose all at once in the middle of the night, a brutal rush so fast Asher thought at first a dam might have broken somewhere upstream.  The ground had simply become so saturated it could not hold any more water.  All the creeks were conspiring down the ridges until they washed out into the Cumberland.  There was no use in anyone going to bed because they all knew what was going to happen.
They only had to wait.'


I don't usually begin by copying the complete first paragraph, but I can't remember the last time I read a book whose first paragraph so symbolically sets the stage for the story that is about to unfold.

Asher Sharp, a small town Pentecostal preacher, wanting to help two men, after their home is destroyed, finds himself questioning long held beliefs.  He alienates his wife, his congregation and his community.  After serving up a sermon on tolerance,  Asher is fired by the Church hierarchy. 

When the Courts award Asher's wife full custody of Justin, he takes his son and leaves for Key West in hopes of finding and reconciling with the brother he turned against years earlier.  In search of a brother, Asher and Justin discover the importance of just loving.
   
"I've studied on it a lot, Lydia.  You know I don't believe that way anymore.  All my life I've thought I've understood everything in that Bible, but now I know that none of us can know the mind of God. He's too big for that."

Southernmost is a timely and beautifully told story of re-evaluating ones beliefs and the consequences incurred.   Asher discovers, what I believe, "love thy neighbor", truly means.   I promise this is one of those reads that will make you sit and ponder long after you've turned the final page.    Southernmost  touched my heart and conscience in so many ways, and is going to the top of my "best books of year" list   

  If you are looking for a book that will stir up a great book group discussion...
this may be the one. 

*****
Perfect Pairings

May I suggest you pour yourself a nice tall glass of iced tea and head out to the porch.   Heck,  just take the whole pitcher outside, you are not going to want to put this book down. 



Happy Reading Friends, and
Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great story, Bonnie. Wish I could join you for that glass of iced tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun would that be! How is you week going? Hugs!

      Delete
  2. That sounds very good and you putting this on your list of “best book of the year” is a recommendation I that I will take. It is on my list now.

    Now, is that sweet tea, sun tea, or tea out of a container?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a southern girl who steers away from sugar and artificial sweeteners. It is brewed tea. I make a pitcher, for the two of us, every other day.

    I hope you enjoy the book. I had not heard of the author before picking up this book. Now I want to read something else he wrote. Have a great day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bonnie this sounds like a super book. Will be checking out this one - thanks for the review. Now how about a glass of that sweet tea!! I will be right over to join you. Have a great weekend. I suppose school will be starting soon...less time to read. Take care. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, come on over! There is a chair waiting.

      Yes, I am spending a lot of my time getting ready for school. We start later than most schools. It is always exciting to begin a new year.

      Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

      Delete