Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday Book Talk

“Book collecting is an obsession, an occupation, a disease, an addiction, a fascination, an absurdity, a fate.   It is not a hobby.  Those who do it must do it. Those who do not do it, think of it as a cousin of stamp collecting, a sister of the trophy cabinet, bastard of a sound bank account and a weak mind."
                                                                                                                                                          Jeanette Winterson




You had me at the title.  
Add the subtitle... A Novel of Obsession?
Sold!

What would you do if you thought you had possession of the one original work, Robert Greene's pastorial romance Pandosto,  thought to be the material William Shakespeare based  A Winter's Tale?  This is every bibliophile, every antiquarian book collector's  dream.

"Wouldn't it be something, Peter, to discover a page of manuscript written by
 the Stratford Shakespeare?  Or a letter to Anne Hathaway where he complains
 about what trouble the third act of Hamlet is giving him?"

"The Holy Grail", said Peter reverently.  He was surprised 
to hear the words coming from his mouth.  The comparison had been instinctual."

Peter Byerly, an antiquarian bookseller, enters a rare bookshop, opens a book  and out flutters  a watercolor portrait of his deceased wife.   The painting is Victorian and can't possibly be of Amanda, yet the resemblance is haunting.  Grief stricken he slips the picture into another book he later purchases beginning his obsession with finding the portrait's origin.  Navigating a maze of secrets and deception, Peter discovers what he believes to be "the holy grail".  It is possible he has gained possession of the evidence needed to seal Shakespeare's reputation as the great poet and playwright many believe him to be.

To solve the mystery Peter must revisit his and Amanda's relationship and follow the Pandosto's path to being hidden on a shelf  in an obscure English manor house.  

"...Peter felt as if he had entered a Jane Austen novel." 

Charlie Lovett carries us on an ambitious journey where the unraveling of secrets festering for centuries is the only map to finding the truth.  Mystery, murder, and romance.  
And I loved it! 

Does Peter find the mysterious painter of the Victorian watercolor?  Is he able to authenticate the Pandosto?   Was Shakespeare a genius or a fake? And finally, does Peter survive to find the connection of the portrait and the writing?

Being a lover of both books and of Shakespeare this was most definitely a perfect summer discovery. While reading I was sent to research Robert Greene's Pandosto, and to become reacquainted with  A Winter's Tale.  

You understand I share the obsessive behavior.

I love reading books about books, people reading books, finding books...
One of my favorites is People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

Do you enjoy reading about other book lovers?


As we approach America's birthday
may you have a fun filled and safe holiday.

Happy Fourth of July!

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a book of this nature. You make it sound very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy thise kind if books.
    I just put this book in my Amazon wish list two days ago!!
    I'll order it now. It sounds like something I will love. Have a great 4th Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reviews of books are outstanding. I am sure you sell many books for authors.

    Have a happy 4th, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing and a great summer read. Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bonnie - this sounds like a great book to read. I am like you I love books - just find it hard to find time to read. Take care and hope your fourth was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. Now I'm longing to read that book too!
    Have a great weekend, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quote by Jeanette Winterson. I am so glad that you recommend books. I always add them to my unending list of ones to read. Have not had much downtime to read lately, but I still cling to my list with hope. Hope you had a great July 4th holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! It looks like you found the perfect read! This one is going on my wish list and moving right to the top. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete