Friday, March 29, 2013

Let's Talk Books


It has been awhile since I've talked about reading.  I was afraid I was becoming a bit one dimensional; and, I thought you might need a break from my inept writings on the books I've been reading.  I read an eye-opening article many weeks ago about the authenticity of book reviews.

I often find books by reading reviews.  If I happen upon a book which looks interesting I usually snap a photo of the cover (I thought this a brilliant way to keep track of the books I want to read, but I am finding out it is becoming frowned upon.), head home and pull up reviews.  If the book I'm looking to open is a book group selection I look to reviews to decide, am I going to purchase the hard copy, download it or check it out at the Library.  There are just too many good books to waste time, cash and precious shelf space on  something that is not, what I label, "a keeper". 

Reading through the article regarding book reviews I discovered many of the reviews are written by publishers and fed to paid reviewers who then go online and publish a well thought-out paragraph or two prompting us, the readers, to purchase the book they have never read.   I am waving my hand in the air.  Yes, I am guilty of reading these convincing pieces only to ask at the end of the book, "Really?"  I have also found negative reviews to books I have thoroughly enjoyed.  I suppose we might want to edit the phrase, "You can't judge a book by it's cover" to
"You shouldn't judge a book by its review".

I believe I have said it before, there is a book for everyone, and a reader for every book.  I may not necessarily enjoy what my neighbor is reading;  I'm just excited to discuss books and reading.  I do still look to online reviews, as I like to think those sharing their thoughts are wanting to share their love for a good read as well.  And, you know I always want to know what you are reading and why you enjoy(ed) it. 

****

I've read a lot books I would put into the "enjoyed" category... many I would post as "loved"... only a few books have I read in one sitting.  The Dry Grass of August,  the debut novel by Anna Jean Mayhew is the latest book which kept me turning the pages late into the night, and beckoned me immediately upon awaking.  Yes, I picked it back up before grabbing my first cup of coffee and finished it before 8:30 a.m.

"In August of 1954, we took our first trip without Daddy, and Stell got to use the driver's license she'd had such a fit about.  It was just a little card saying she was Estelle Annette Watts, that she was white, with hazel eyes and brown hair.  But her having a license made the trip different from any others, because if she hadn't had it, we never would have been stuck in Sally's Motel Park in Claxton, Georgia, where we went to buy fruitcakes and had a wreck instead.  And Mary would still be with us."

It is in the first paragraph we hear the voice of our narrator thirteen year old June "Jubie" Watts.   We also learn we will be traveling through the south, without a man in 1954.  There will be a car accident and a death.

Throughout the book we are exposed to the social tensions of an era,  betrayals within a family,  and the unbreakable bond between a young southern white girl and the black woman who cares for her.  It is a story of love overshadowing hate, lies torn away by truths.  A tale that has been told many times.  It has been mentioned along with titles such as The Help, The Secret Lives of Bees and To Kill a Mockingbird.   Yes, I found bits and pieces throughout the book taking me back to each of those stories.   And yet, I found something in Jubie's story that resonated deep within my memories.

I was born at the end of 1954, the year the supreme court deemed segregation a violation of the Equal Protection clause of the fourteenth amendment.  It was not until I was in high school, thirteen years later, my own school became integrated.  I, too, didn't understand many of the injustices that were part of our everyday lives.  I was often told, "One doesn't interfere with what goes on in another man's house.  It is just how it is."  So many of the same phrases I remember coming from those I thought of as role models.  And I can still remember asking what the KKK was upon reading a sign posted out in the bayou near a covered bridge which read, "The KKK is still a live".   I'm sure I was given a watered down explanation.   That sign always scared me a little bit.  It was through books I learned about the Ku Klux Klan and the terror they spread.
I've often thought of that sign and wondered if it is still there.

Yes, this story has been told many times.  And, someone will tell it again.  Like so many injustices which have occurred throughout time, it is important we continue to tell the stories.  When we push them aside we risk stepping back instead of forward.  We risk repeating history.

The Dry Grass of August, is a story told through the simple language of a thirteen year old.   It is an easy read, but a story difficult to read.  In the end, we find a redemption, of sorts.  And if you think parts are unbelievable ask me... I bet I have a story to tell you.

Happy Reading!

Oh...
I suppose I should add here, no one is knocking down my door to offer me a deal to write book reviews.  I promise I've read each book I write about unless I tell you otherwise.   You know, just in case you had any doubt....ha!ha!ha!


Easter is upon us.
May the sun shine down upon you,
and may you have a blessed and beautiful Easter.

29 comments:

  1. My favorite book reviews are the ones written by customers, the same goes for movie reviews. I always read the negative reviews first. A person has to have pretty strong feelings to leave a review in the first place,and you can get a pretty good idea of whether or not the book is for you. Of course, in the realm of childrens books, I almost always disagree with the majority of reviewers when it comes to Caldecott winners... but that's a whole other story....pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, after reading a review I've learned to go back and look at other books the reviewer has read. It is a good way to discover if our likes are compatible. Awards? As you said perfectly, that is a whole different story.

      Delete
  2. I love reading reviews, and prefer reviews by customers over publishers, writers and editors. Thanks for popping into my blog. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading . . . "The Dry Grass of August" and appreciate your reviews. So far I have not been disappointed. It is from friends like you that I find my books. And I hope I can do the same for you, others.

    I just found a book from someone who visted me at Irish Garden House named "fine Foliage". Gardening season brings me to looking for new ideas. This turned out to be a perfect book, visually and with suggestions of marrying certain plants, and as well learning which don't live as well together. Not that I didn't know some of the information, because I did, but I learned some new presentation/inclusion. I ordered it from Amazon, and a few extra because of the very responsible price. Very nice book! I will send you the blog address as well. Very lovely.

    Happy Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Fellow book lovers are the best way to build one's to read list. My own list keeps growing and there is only so much time. I love sharing my thoughts. Happy Easter! Bonnie

      Delete
  4. Bonnie, I haven't read 'Poemcrazy' or 'The Dry Grass of August", but I've adored 'I Capture the Castle.' It was one of the earliest novels to identify adolescent identity.
    Me? I ignore reviews and recommendations, despite reading many of them, until something clicks. I find it hard to read a writer whose face I don't like. I find it hard to read a badly designed book. I will throw a book away if its typeface is 'wrong.' Talk about fickle!
    Happy Easter honey! Faisal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, I must share with you, you were one of the first I thought of when I began "poemcrazy". A sweet friend gifted it to me and although I am not a poet I have found it to be a wonderful creative tool. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your review. I find I don't have much time to read until summer break from school. I will certainly be adding this book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! This begins the busiest time of the school year for me. I shall set my eyes in summer reading. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. Yes, I usually read reviews before reading a book, before going to a movie and before trying out a new restaurant. I want to get an idea if it is what I would like before I waste my time and money. However, we all have different likes and dislikes and what one would enjoy, others would not. What influences me the most though is a recommendation from someone I know who has similar tastes as I have. I loved the books you mentioned, The Secret Life of Bees, The Help, and of course, the wonderful, To Kill a Mickingbird. John Grisham has also told great stories in that genre. I know I would love The Dry Grass of August and will look for it on Amazon or perhaps when I visit Costco next week and spend a while perusing their stacks of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, If I am reading a review on-line I like to go back to see what else they have read. I find this easiest on Goodreads. I do hope you enjoy "The Dry Grass of August". I am anxious to discuss it in book group next week.

      Delete
  7. Miss Bonnie....Good Morning!

    In no way did I ever think you were becoming one dimensional...books are a part of you are and a huge part of this blog. I love hearing your recommendations and reviews. I am really disappointed in myself lately...I used to have a book in my hands almost every waking hour. Now, I feel like I have to fit it in occasionally. And I was a literature major! I thought I would solve this by purchasing a Kindle....ugh. It is definately not the same as holding a book in your hands. I just read a sloppy predictable book that I can't believe I actually read to the end. It was called The Secret Gardener. There was one twist at the end that I did not expect but my recommendation is, do not read it. :)

    I usually do read reviews and appreciate them from people like you who make reading a truly big part of their lives and I'm definately going to put "The Dry Grass of August" on my list.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I agree, there is nothing more satisfying than holding a "real" book in your hands and turning the page. I have both a Nook and an iPad. I use them when traveling mostly to save space for the "real" books I purchase while visiting out-of-town bookstores? I know this makes so much sense, doesn't it? I'm getting ready to hit my busiest time of the school year, many things will be put on the back burner for awhile, including my reading. Thanks for the heads up. I have actually looked at "The Secret Gardener". We are probably drawn to it because it seems to be about a gardener. Have a wonderful Easter. Bonnie

      Delete
  8. Bonnie, I pay much more attention to reviews from friends and bloggers like you than I do to "official" book reviews. The past couple of years I seem to have read few books that were not leant to me by friends who had just read them and said "You're going to love it." You've mentioned some of my favorites here, so I'm confident I would also like "The Dry Grass of August," which I'd not heard of until now (thank you!). Loved "I Capture the Castle," and was surprised it was written by the author of "101 Dalmations." -- talk about not getting typecast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I am just finishing "I Capture the Castle". I didn't know Dodie Smith wrote both books. What a wonderful piece of information. Have a wonderful weekend! Bonnie

      Delete
  9. bonnie, you are one of the most well rounded people i almost know!! someone should be paying you for these wonderful reviews. and as always, i am thrilled that it brings you so much joy. everyone should have something, that brings them this much happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, this book sounds excellent. I will now look for it. Happy Easter to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting, tho not my normal choice. But then, neither is "The Paris Wife" which i finished this morning and thorough l y enjoyed. Thanks for tak8ng the time toshare your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved "The Paris Wife". What are a few title you have enjoyed? I enjoy hearing about other's likes and dislikes. Bonnie

      Delete
  12. Bonnie...this looks like a great read. In my mind, you can never have enough posts on books. I loved The Secret Life of Bees...I can appreciate the comparison. Thank you for sharing and...a story please. :) Happy Easter Bonnie!
    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, Like you, I never tire of reading other's book posts. I could probably get more reading in if I stopped reading about reading. Go figure! Happy Easter, Bonnie

      Delete
  13. You know that little tingle of recognition that surges through your body when you find out a friend read and liked the same book you loved ~ I just got it, Bonnie. Happy Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie - this sounds like a great book. I too love to read and I don't recommend or review something I haven't read either. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. Love the bunny photo - have a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't read reviews... I read what's on the cover and make my decision (albeit they are also "staged" to make you want to read it... however, your review is excellent and I may just be looking for this one... sigh... I love book! Thanks for stopping by and your suggestion for the bib, I am trying to come up with a way to donate it to someone who would really need it, and I think it would be more special if I could send it "somewhere across the world"! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Bonnie,
    I am always interested in what you are reading. "The dry grass of August" looks to be a page turner. I will put in on my list.
    Love your two bunnies. Have a good Easter!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling Bonnie,

    Oh how I love to discuss books; this morning before the sun rose, my husband and I packed a bag of some of our favorite poetry, a thermos of tea, and some gloves and scarves. We drove out to one of the local lakes and waited for the sun to rise. We read scriptures, poetry, then the fun part came: WE DISCUSSED what we read.

    We took a three mile walk around the lake, came back to the car to have our tea. More discussion and study of the structure of the poems we love was part of today's magic.

    Life is rife with such beautiful moments; enjoy them, and maybe one day you will get a chance to review! Oh how fun and wonderful that would be.

    Thank you for coming to visit my blog and for commenting. ENJOY THE DAY! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, Your Easter celebration sounds beautiful. I agree the best part would be the discussion. It sounds like you delighted the mind and the body. Enjoy your week! Bonnie

      Delete
  18. Bonnie, please never stop writing book reviews!!!! I love them! I am a voracious reader, I used to read a book a day or a book every other day. Then I started blogging and now am down to one book a week.

    I never tire of reading honest reviews, or peoples suggestions. Thanks for what proves to be an excellent one. By the way if you are open to a few books let me know. I have stacks of them I would be happy to send you!

    Take care, Elizabeth

    P.S. Thank you for your always kind comments!

    ReplyDelete