Thursday, March 21, 2013

Deletions and Roses

“Music expresses that which cannot be said 
and on which it is impossible to be silent.” 
                                                                         Victor Hugo



This morning while checking my email on my iPad I found three comments to my latest post.  I read each one and with my new handy dandy pink stylist I hit publish.  Well...at least on two I actually hit publish.   On the third, I must have joggled when I should have jiggled, because the next thing appearing was the notice I had refused the comment.

The comment I deleted was from Arleen whom I follow regularly and have enjoyed getting to know through this thing we call blogging.  Arleen's blog, Starting Over, Accepting Changes...Maybe is about life and the accompanying changes and adjustments.  She almost always finishes the first sentence of each post with "and I am doing okay".   Arleen's comments are always thoughtful and well-thoughtout.   I look forward to hearing her perspective and would never intentionally delete
something she wrote.

I am sharing her comment with you, because, as always, her words added to the post.   It also brought up memories and started my brain jumping up and down.  And, when my brain starts spinning, (sorry) I find the need to share.

"When you get a good day, breathe it all in. It has been a long winter and it does not seem to want to go away. As the white flakes come down, I think of the lyrics to the song, The Rose. 'Just remember in the winter, for beneath the bitter snow, lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring, becomes the rose.' " 

With the mention of the Bette Midler song, "The Rose" I immediately thought about how many times I sang this song as a lullaby to my daughter.   While some may say, "really?  a lullaby?"...   I was never one to sing the usual little sing-song lullabies.  Just as  I feel many of the books published for children should be read by adults, I feel many songs peddled for adult listening make beautiful lessons for children.  Sometimes you change a word here and there, sometimes...not.

   I hear the song "The Rose" and I hear a promise.  A promise that is sown from courage and patience.  Courage to risk failure.  Patience to wait for the sunshine.   I often find myself on the short side of both of these characteristics; it doesn't stop my believing and desiring the beauty of the promise.

So, to you who find yourself overcome by currant life events and changes, feelings of being over-whelmed and abandoned or have spent one day too many indoors awaiting Spring.  I share with you the promise of the

"The Rose"

Some say love (life), it is a river
That drowns the tender reed.






Some say love (life), it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed.



Some say love (life), it is a hunger,
An endless aching need.



I say love (life), it is a flower,
And you its only seed.


It's the heart afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance.


It's the dream afraid of waking
That never takes the chance.


It's the one who won't be taken,
Who cannot seem to give,



And the soul afraid of dyin'
That never learns to live.


When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long,


And you think that love (life) is only
For the lucky and the strong,


Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snows


Lies the seed that with the sun's love
In the spring becomes the rose.


Thank you Arleen for always adding to the conversation and for your inspiration.
 May each of you wake up soon to find roses blooming all around you.

*******

I do read and enjoy each and every comment.  It is through the comment that we continue the conversation.  Thank you for talking back to me. 

20 comments:

  1. I awoke to another very cold and colorless day to find this post from you and Arlene. I know exactly where my roses will be coming up!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect, beautiful . . . promise . . . Precisely how I feel. Love the words . . . The Rose is a perfect lullaby . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soulfully beautiful - and such a wonderful way to start my day. Thank you, Bonnie!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. Hadn't thought of The Rose in 20 years or more. The message is timeless. Sunny and cold here today, so the promise with the reality! maybe next week ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Bonnie - this is beautiful...the pictures and the song. Thanks for sharing and letting us know spring will come. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rose is a haunting song isn't it? I was a fearful child and "it's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance" resonates with me. I never learned to play. I'm pretty sure you need to feel safe to be able to play with abandon. Still, there is a rose beneath the snow and I've been blessed in finding it. Thxs for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Some of us find our dancing legs later than others. I do hope you have found one is never too old to dance, to sing, to play. May you always find the roses blooming around you. It sounds as if you have. Hugs, Bonnie

      Delete
  7. It is the loveliest of songs, isn't it. A dear friend of mine, who was a cancer survivor, spent too much of his time in fear, rather than rejoicing in the added time given to him. His depression was understandable, but after being given the gift of life, he did not live it. He loved music though, and we all tried to help him and made CDs to lift his spirits. I gave him one that included The Rose and we talked about the words. Each line is a thing of beauty, each line is a lesson, each line touches the heart. One stood out though, "And the soul afraid of dyin', that never learns to live." That was 10 years ago, he is still with us, and yes, he learned to live again.

    It is always better to enjoy the beauty of the rose than dwell on it's thorns.

    Thank you dear Bonnie for mentioning me. Your post was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, Your story of your friend makes my heart happy. Sometimes we have to encounter those thorns before we can truly appreciate the beauty of the rose. Bonnie

      Delete
  8. With four grown daughters I would have chosen “The Rose” as a lullaby even my wobbly off-key voice. Thank you for a memory making post, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I assure you my voice is off-key as well. To a child's ear a mother's voice singing is magic. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. So loved this post! I love Bette Midler and love The Rose! God makes beauty from ashes. That I am sure of. Thanks always for your kind words. I only have a few who follow me, but they are the best! Thanks for always visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many of us seem to be hanging on, just waiting for this long winter to come to an end, so your and Starting Over's posts are just what we need at this time. Love the Victor Hugo quote.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful words and lovely photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved that song by Bette.............so inspiring.
    Lovely post Bonnie - waterlily and moon shots are gorgeous!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, Bonnie ( and Arleen ), you've hit a nail on its head. This most beautiful song, one of the few that came out of its times with something to say, sustained me through many a bleak season.
    I guess you know, that after Pandora emptied her nightmares onto the world, the one quality left after all she'd wreaked, was hope.
    Hope never dies.
    Appearances can tell us all sorts of lies. Hope doesn't.
    God bless ( hope it's alright to say that ),
    Faisal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal,
      Yes, hope is what keeps us placing one foot in front of the other isn't it?
      I accept all prayers and blessings sent my way. It is God's blessings which keep me looking toward tomorrow. Thank you! Bonnie

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful post..
    each lyric with photo..
    makes you think..
    Love the song..always have!
    now I'm out to find the roses..
    enjoy your beautiful day!
    love, hugs and smiles..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loui for your kind comment. I hope you are finding roses. Welcome to Living Life. I look forward to getting to know you. Bonnie

      Delete
  15. a beautiful song, paired up with your lovely images. well done bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete