Sunday, January 6, 2013

Torn Between Two Loves

It was a rather bookish Christmas and birthday here at Living Life.  I both gave and received a number of books and gift cards to purchase books.  My family and friends were very sweet and generous, so to say the books were my favorite gifts would be like choosing a favorite child.  Seriously,  I love and appreciate everything gifted to me.

Now back to the books. 

One book I received from Santa (well, sort of...another story) was My Bookstore, a compilation of essays by various authors bragging on their favorite bookstores.  Several of my favorites are represented, making this book even more enjoyable.  


Once the last box of Christmas decorations was packed, carried upstairs and stored away for another year, the last of the evergreen needles swept out,  I had the luxury of time.  Time to brew a cup of tea and sit down to visit some of my favorite bookstores.

When beginning a book I often skim the Introduction with plans on returning upon reading the last word on the last page.  It is my way to extend the pleasure of a good book.  It is also how I evaluate what I gained from my reading against the point the author might have been wanting to express.

The editors of My Bookstore selected Richard Russo to write its introduction.   To skim anything written by Russo is to miss out on his amazing talent.  His intro tells us about his own love of the bookseller while giving a slight warning that the independent bookstore might be an endangered species.  We also are given the hint that this is not just a collection of stories, but of love letters written to those who allow us to browse, sit, and read.  It is to those who greet us with a smile  and help us find our next favorite book.

Three of my most favorite bookstores are listed in this book; I began with their essays.  They did not disappoint.

My very favorite bookstore?


Lemuria is in Jackson, Mississippi.  I would love to sit here and expound on all the attributes of this wonderful place, but Barry Moser says it all in the very beginning of his celebration of Lemuria.

"A few years ago I was writing a speech and wanted to quote a line that Lt. Col. "Bull Meacham says in the film The Great Santini.  I had not read Pat Conroy's book at that time and wanted to know that what I was about to quote was in the book, not just in the movie.  Now understand that I live in one of the most bookish places in the country, home to Smith College, Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mt. Holyoke College, and the main campus of the University of Massachusetts, all within ten miles of each other.  But when I started looking around the area for a copy of Conroy's book, I couldn't find one.  Nary a single copy was in any bookstore---new or used, big box or independent---in the valley.  So I decided to call John Evans.  John owns one of the finest bookstores in America:  Lemuria Books in Jackson, Mississippi, which specializes in books by Southern writers and all manner of things Southern.  I called Johnny and asked if he had a copy.  His response?

"Yeah, Barry, sure I do.  You want it in paperback, hardback, or signed first edition?" "

My own copy of My Bookstore actually was purchased at Lemuria, after a slight reminder to Santa it was missing Christmas morning.  The clerk not only made sure Santa received a copy signed by Mr. Moser, she marked it with one of their wonderful bookmarks assuring us it was one of the best articles in the book.  A point I concur with wholeheartedly.

We always schedule a stop to browse when passing through Jackson.


Okay, so now onto explain my title for this post.   I am sure many noticed in my last post there was a photograph of two books stacked on top of my ereader.



As I am reading through a book extolling the virtues of independent booksellers and the necessity of keeping them alive, nodding and agreeing with every word, I am reeling with guilt because I not only download some of the books I read to an ereader, I am now the owner (a birthday present from the above mentioned Santa) of an....


iPad mini.

I will not lie, while I love nothing better than holding "a real book" in my hands, turning the pages,  inhaling the aroma of paper and wondering who might have opened the covers hoping to find a good read,  I enjoy the ease and convenience of an electronic book when traveling.

The thought of the demise of "hard copies" of books and subsequently bookstores makes me extremely sad.  To know there may at sometime be a generation of children who not know the pleasure of holding their very own first  "real" book tears at my very core.  And yet, I am in a small way part of the very problem.  We all know a lot of smalls make one great big "large".

I hope, and I believe there is a place for both the bookseller and the digital book in our future.  What do you think?

Do you have a favorite bookstore?
Do you download some of your reads digitally?

30 comments:

  1. ooohhhh bonnie, as you know i am not a reader!! but your love and excitement for reading thrill me to no end!! so much passion, i really enjoying reading about it, it's captavating, the story YOU tell!!

    i love the images and that first book is so pretty. and i love my ipad, even if i can't blog from it, it's still amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, You always make my head grow a couple of sizes. Thank you for always lifting me up. I,too, am enjoying my little mini. While I may not use it for composing, I do use it for keeping up with my favorite people.. Like you! Bonnie

      Delete
  2. Hi Bonnie!
    I'm torn about this issue as well, for the same reasons you mention. I really do hope that there will continue to be a place for both! As for my favorite bookstore, I have a brand new one. While visiting the bf's family in Frostburg, MD, we went to a small bookstore called Main Street Books. Frostburg is a very small town, but this bookstore is world-class while being cozy, warm, and friendly. The books they carried were fabulous - some I've never seen before in our much bigger bookstores here at home. We ended spending an entire afternoon (and a lot of $) there! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like the independent bookseller. They have knowledge, the heart, and the hunger to survive. Thanks for sharing you favorite spot with me. So good to hear from you. Bonnie

      Delete
  3. how interesting this post is for today...I was just having a conversation with my son's girlfriend about how much I love my kindle but hate reading books on it. I get too much pleasure from turning the pages and holding the book in my hands. I hope bookstores don't die out. Remember the little shop in the movie, "You've Got Mail"...that was always a dream of mine. But I don't know of one in my town. If there was, I would be their biggest patron.
    I also love your passion and love to hear what you're reading and your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, the fictional bookstore you speak of has always been a desire of mine as well. I love introducing literature to children. I sometimes wear a tiara I during story time in my classroom. Thank you so much for adding your voice to this subject. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. Dear Bonnie - I do so love books and bookstores. Looks like you have some good reads for these winter months. I just received a Kindle for Christmas (not a gift I particularly wanted-but I have to say it is nice for traveling). I am like you though hoping that there is room for both. Take care and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I tend to only use an electronic reader when traveling, or for a book group book I am uncertain of. If I especially enjoyed the book I will purchase a hard copy for my personal library. I also enjoy purchasing a book from an indie while on my travels. Always good to hear from you . Bonnie

      Delete
  5. I am a lover of bookstores and mostly the independent stores. Like you I love to browse, sit and read. My favorite is Powell Books in Portland, Oregon but I have to say that I love almost each and every one I enter. A book is one of my greatest pleasures.
    I do not, nor will I ever, own an electronic reading device and my Santa knows never to give me one. This is for the very reasons you stated. I cannot stand to think that my own grandchildren may not no the feeling of a book in their hands; may never be able to enter a book store and love to be there. No, ereaders are not for me and I do tend to get on a bit of a soapbox about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thank you so much for commenting. I love "soap boxes". Chuck Palahniuk writes a piece on Powell's City of Books in Portland. Like you I love browsing book stores and can seldom leave empty handed. Thank you so much for adding your thoughts to this discussion. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. From childhood one of the delights of Christmas has been receiving a stack of books. No matter how exciting the other gifts were I always knew that the books held hours of deferred pleasure to be dipped into later. This Christmas was no different, I am working steadily through my books - enjoying them immensely, but hating to see the pile diminish.

    I support our local mobile library and get a great pile of books from them every month - for to not do so would risk losing the service, and while this would not really be a problem for me (at the moment) it would be for many of the less mobile people who depend upon it. Each month as I stagger home from the village square with about thirty books (I also get books for 5 other people) I confess that I do sometimes think how much easier it would be if we all used electronic reading devices - but that would definitely end the need for the little mobile library. I don't own a reader, and probably won't in the future, but I can see that there are so many practical advantages.

    All those years when I used to travel and had to be so disciplined about how many books I could take with me - clothes or books - such difficult choices! So much simpler with a reader, I concede that point. OOoops! I am running out of time. Sorry to have rambled on so long. I support real books and independent book stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I love to visit the library as well. I'm not sure we still have mobile libraries. I do remember them though. Our library actually offers digital books though I haven't used this service. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year Bonnie- What a lovely piece. It brought back to mind my favourite book shop- Chelsea Rare Books.It was an antiquarian and secondhand book shop on the Kings Road in London,and I learnt my trade there! It had sadly gone now but I wonder if you or any of your readers ever went there?Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I am not familiar with the store you speak of, but it is always sad when a bookstore closes its doors. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  8. When the big box bookstores opened a few decades ago, the little bookstores could not compete and started to disappear. Then Amazon came along and the big box stores could not compete and they started to disappear. Today Amazon is where most of us get our books and music. Everything changes so quickly and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, We are fortunate to still have an indie bookstore, though I feel certain it is struggling. If I can find a title locally I don't order on-line. Good to hear from you. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. Dear Bonnie- Me again,you inspired me to write a piece about secondhand bookshops on my own blog! Many thanks- Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I don't have an e-reader yet, I know I'll get one eventually. In the meantime, I buy as many books as I can at the local independent bookstore. She closed last January, but opened in a new location just in time for Christmas buying. Fingers crossed that she stays open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, Keeping my fingers crossed as well. Bonnie

      Delete
  11. I had a piece of horrible news last week. A friend wrote me “my” used bookshop was going out of business. Today I dropped by the shop and not only are they not going out of business, they bought out the one that is. I came home with a bag of quick mysteries. I doubt I will ever embrace electronic books. I have no problem with those that do. My daughter, for instance, found her Kindle handy on a cruise. Granted there would certainly be more space in this house without bookshelves. Who needs more space? Granted anything I need to look up is on the information highway. Who cares when you can pull an author and get lost for hours finding just the right paragraph. Yes, I do have all Pat Conroy’s books ~ some tattered, some like gently read. Wharton I do not own. She’s a prolific writer and I enjoyed every one. Who needs more space? Me, filled with books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, If I am reading this correctly this is great news. To be able to reopen in this economy is indeed fabulous. Oh, I prefer the bookcases. I never have enough space for my books. Conroy is a favorite of mine. I once dreamed of being a bookseller; the bank didn't agree. Now I am simply a collector. Bonnie

      Delete
  12. I got to follow my dream and owned a used bookshop for several years. By the way, your bank was right . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, great post. As a bookseller whose way forward has been eroded by various changes and innovations in retail, reading habits and technologies, I get the feeling 'real' books will soon only form a niche market.
    I find my mindset is entirely different reading a book ( which I absorb ), to when I'm reading any electronic media ( which I skate over ).
    Who knows? I'm still employed, for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being employed today is always a good thing. I hope we never allow books to become too awfully rare. It would be so sad for them to become too expensive for the average person to have a library.

      Delete
  14. Bonnie, you post was very relevant for me because I have been noticing the disappearance of almost all of our independent book stores here in Los Angeles. This is so sad to me. But I just read in the NY Times that the sale of books (the real thing) are up and ereaders is down. So I do think that readers will not give up on books. When I travel I always go to the local book store because I love browsing in a book store and I can't wait to buy the book you mentioned. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sunday, I too alway find myself in the local bookstores when traveling. I love it when you can strike up a bookish conversation with the clerk or owner. I always learn so much. I just can' t imagine a world without real books. Thanks for joining in on the conversation. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my new kindle fire. I've read so much since Christmas that I'm afraid for my husband to balance the checkbook and see all the debits from Amazon:) But I must say, I still love the pages of a book much better. In my inspirational books, I like to underline and make notes. My books are treasures to me but will never be resale because they are like a journal to me as were my mom's books. At least my kids will know my thoughts one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter has always said that she loves the smell of a new book, I'm glad to hear you say that! I must confess that I love my kindle fire that I received last Christmas and use it each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I prefer the real thing, and we purchase a book or two from the used bookstore almost every time we go to the city. I can't imagine a world without real books!

    ReplyDelete