Monday, January 21, 2013

A Little Bit of Tongue in Cheek

Do you search blogs and pinterest for DIY ideas or instructions?  I'll read it if it pops up.   If it sounds useful I will repin; I might even try it.  


Several weeks ago I saw instructions for an easy clean solution for the glass on the oven door.   I have a wonderful self-cleaning oven.  All I need to do is push a button, the door locks and the cleaning begins.  When the timer dings I merely open the door and occasionally wipe up a bit of dust.  HOWEVER, the glass in the door is never clean.  In fact since the oven cleans at such a high temperature the grease, and/or whatever it is, seems to be baked on as surely as if it was fired in a kiln. 



I have tried everything; nothing has worked to my liking.
 With a day out of school, I thought I might should take on some of the less savory tasks.  Those things that really bother me, but I never have time to tackle.
Seriously?  I would rather be reading.

The instructions I found used baking soda and water.  It showed the nasty before and the after sparkling clean glass.  I made my solution and spread it over the glass.   Set the timer for 30 minutes...okay I set it for 60 minutes.   After the holidays, it was in need of a really good cleaning.

If you are at the point wondering what the quotations have to do with my chosen task of the day... I will tell you...absolutely nothing.   I  found these on pinterest while waiting for the baking soda and water to preform it's magic.  I thought it would be nicer to share some inspiration rather than a picture of my oven door.  I've never been one to expose all my dirty little secrets.


Did it work?  Well...  


The door is much cleaner.

Did it work in a snap?
No!

Like most things in life it took time and elbow grease.
I'm okay with that.


The other recipe I found included white vinegar.  Like Mother Hubbard my cupboard was bare...well of white vinegar.

Roger is bringing a bottle home this afternoon, and more baking soda
Yes,  I'm afraid my OCD is showing a bit.



I've earned some reading time.

Enjoy your afternoon!


10 comments:

  1. soooo fun!!

    and i am completely addicted to pinterest!! i have made many of the crafts and even some of the food, YaY me!!!

    i went to the foodstore just today to get all the ingredients for a pinterest chicken dish i have been dying to try!!

    pinterest, inspires me and makes me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a serious Pinaholic in need of a Pintervention.
    I used a Brillo pad and warm water. Works like a champ and doesn't scratch the glass.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps I'm jaded but I sometimes I think Pinterest has a sprinkling of potions and recipes that are there just so someone can get "published." I hope you find the right potion to do the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I am not one to disagree. Of course I think Pinterest is solely there for my mindless pleasure of pinning things that catch my fancy. I hope you are having a good week. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. I find a lot of neat things on Pinterest and the same recipe. I tried it too, however, have to do it for a second time. You do need a lot of elbow grease!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read to the end waiting for the "magic" formula. My oven door is rather unpleasant at the moment. I suppose I'll just go off in search of it and enjoy browsing the internet. At 4 degrees this morning, it's too cold to leave the house.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bonnie...brrrr! We were in the 20s at day break. Tomorrow the high will be in the high 40s. We are on a roller coaster this winter. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. All I can say is thank goodness for Pinterest....lol. After all if it didn't exist, when would I be inspired to clean my oven, my shower, my floors, bake clay ornaments, and juice for my health...

    Yes I am a pinaholic, my name is Jen....and I pin.

    Love to have you link up to No Winter Whining....I saw your comment. And it's easy, just drop by and we can help you out.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. “My name is Lynn and I’m addicted to Pinterest.” I tried the Williams Sonoma room deodorizer on the top of the stove and almost ruined one of my best pans because I was buried in a book. Then I had to find cleaning tips for a burned pot and put a disclaimed on the first pin . . . on and on it goes. I like steel wool and hot water too . . . even if it doesn’t smell so pretty. Good luck with your oven door, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please save me the temptation of looking at Pinterest ... and tell us the recipe. My oven door glass is awful!!

    ReplyDelete