Monday, March 26, 2012

Busy Hands and Minds

“We can make a little order where we are, and then the big sweep of history on which we can have no effect doesn't overwhelm us. We do it with colors, with a garden, with the furnishings of a room, or with sounds and words. We make a little form, and we gain composure.”   --Robert Frost

    

Saturday the sun was shining and the temperature was pleasant.  It was a perfect morning for donning work clothes and my hat to putter around the gardens.  Roger decided to thin out the english ivy.   I was pulling a few weeds and cleaning paths all the while sketching a plan in my head of things I wanted to move and things I wanted to add.  When I reached the area where he was working I began picking up all the discarded ivy, adding it to my waste bucket.   We started talking about my plan, he continued his clearing and I began playing with the ivy.  Soon I was focused on picking up the long strands and weaving them in and around until I had a small wreath perfect for the garden gate.


When the leaves wilt and die, I will simply strip them away, or not, and have a very fine vine wreath.
I thought it was a rather clever use of my time. 


******

Happy Birthday Robert Frost!


I love to read poetry to my children.  I keep this book of poems by Robert Frost in my classroom and often read from it.  Although not directly related, each poem is accompanied by a stunning watercolor illustration, by Henri Sorensen.  The children know when I pick up this book we will be spending a little time just looking around to see what is happening outside our window.

Today we watched a robin gather twigs, I suppose, for a nest.  As I stepped back away from the children, I couldn't help but wonder what we must look like from the outside.  I had two or three bodies in each window vying for the perfect view while I pointed and turned little faces toward our small laboring neighbor.


Poetry for Young People - Robert Frost


  These poems are the perfect combination of nature and verse.  Two things children are naturally drawn to.  I don't think it is ever to early to begin reading poetry to children, and this is a wonderful introduction.

20 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    Your Ivy wreath is absolutely charming and looks so welcoming hanging on the garden gate. A thing of beauty made from discarded scraps, now how much more satisfying does it get?

    We totally agree that it is never too early to introduce young people to poetry. The lyrical use of language and economy of words to express an idea are such valuable lessons to learn.One cannot help but be moved and inspired by the best poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! the quote, your wreath, the lessons you're teaching your very fortunate students.

    The quote really resonates with me. A comment left on my blog told me to "get a life" because I'm spending too much time decorating my house.

    It also nice to know I'm not the only person who is always looking at the garden to decide what plants to move around:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had some ivy in my garden, I would copy you in a heartbeat!

    Robert Frost is one of my favorite poet...no one captures an image like him.
    On our first Christmas together, my husband gave me a collection of his poems and covered it in old wallpaper we found months earlier at an antique store in one of our favorite towns. That was my favorite gift ever.

    have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE english ivy! Your wreath is just lovely. I could use the ivy everywhere, inside and out. I am not as fortunate as you to have to thin mine out yet, but maybe it will need it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert Frost is my favorite poet and I can't tell you how many times his words and verses come to mind when I am doing the simplest of things.

    Your wreath is lovely and I know the feeling of pride and satisfaction when out of little we can create a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat wreath! Am thinking of doing it in (gasp!) artificial ivy for a summer wreath on the front door. Have been looking for something [that looks] natural.

    If I decide to do it, I'll give you credit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert Frost was so wise!!! I will definitely lookup the poetry book and read to my grandchildren from it. I love your wreath --very good idea. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love poetry also especially Robert Frost. Your flowers and ivy wreath on gate are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, It sounds to me the person who made such an inappropriate comment might have a little too much time on their hands. You are creating beauty and a home. I don't understand such ugly comments. Chin up and keep doing what you enjoy. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arleen, Thank you for you kind words. Robert Frost seemed to write about common events and people. I read a poem of his today about stopping what we are doing to talk to a passing neighbor. How often to just throw up a hand and allow them to keep walking, because we don't want to stop. Loved it! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Webb, You are welcome to copy and no mention needed. I am sure you wreath will last longer than my own. It is looking a bit wilted, but I can add to it. I'm actually hoping the vines will dry and make a pretty vine wreath. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a great writer! Beautiful. Thanks for your comment. I hope you will follow and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good example of recycling. The wreath looks lovely on the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh bonnie, i adore the wreath. we have lots of "unruley" ivy that needs to be trimmed back, i am going to do the same thing. it looks gorgeous on the wooden gate!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have Ivy just like that in my yard...and an unlimited supply of jasmine! What a wonderful idea for a wreath! Up until this point, I have used it to decorate flower arrangements, mantle and even drape it on my chandelier, but never thought about making a wreath! THat is a great Easter project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Robert Frost and the wreath--both simple in their beauty.

    Now I'm going over to leave a kind comment for Julie. I'm always a little puzzled when people leave unkind comments since no one is forced to visit a blog.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore jasmine. I am trying to find the perfect spot to add a jasmine. I am always cutting ivy for something. This was just a case of my hands needing something to do while chatting. Thank you Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, Thank you! Julie is such a sweetheart. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will take any time I have to talk to a neighbor, however, I have reached senior citizen status and have become invisible. Good thing is that I have quite a few old friends and we all see each other very well and often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Arleeen, I love chatting with neighbors. Unfortunately not all want the distraction. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete