Thursday, March 15, 2012

And So She Answers...


The temperatures seem to continue to rise.  Today they may have settled somewhere around eighty two degrees.  With a book in one hand, a glass of wine in the other and Willie following close behind I moved outside around 6:00.   At 6:45  it was still hovering around eighty, but with a slight breeze it was tolerable.   After a walk around to see if anything new was waking.  I settled near the lilacs, and with each wisps of breeze their sweet scent surrounded me.    

Willie grew tired of waiting on me to throw his ball and decided he wanted back inside.  I remained.  It was neither the book nor the lilacs that kept me anchored in my spot, but the serenading of the birds. Their song seemed to be sounding from every branch, and yet when I looked up I could not find one.

Looking around I realized it was twilight, that magical time between day and night when the fairies come out to play.   I'm certain I saw a few flit past and wondered if they were settling in or simply looking around.    Just as I thought I might go inside four geese silently flew overhead.  It seemed I could touch their underbelly if I only I would reach.  Instead I sat in awe.  

Quietly a small bird perched nearby not realizing she was within my reach.  I sat paralyzed not wanting her to go, and maybe silently hoping she would move closer.   I thought for an instant about my camera just inside the door; some moments are not meant to be captured in print, only in the heart.

Yesterday I ask for a minute or two to find blessings in the race between spring and summer.   I think quite possibly Spring answered me with a symphony. 

16 comments:

  1. It is much cooler up here in NY, but signs of spring are coming. Yes, the birds are definitely getting louder, and my lilacs have buds, isn't it nice to be able to sit outside? I'm so glad you had a pleasant day. Your lilacs look so pretty. I always bring some in the house to continue the fragrance. xoxo Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post and written so beautifully. I think you defined "contentment" perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Signs of spring, how beautiful! Wanted to tell you I really enjoy reading your blogs, beautiful and talented writing!

    Have a wonderful day and enjoy the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as if I were there with you. Lovely description of the early spring. I just returned from the grocery store. No coat or jacket. Coming home, I lowered the car windows and enjoyed the mild breeze as I drove around the city square. Lovely!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I felt like I was right there with you, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arleen,

    Contentment is the perfect description. It could not have been more ideal had it been orchestrated. Thank you. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie,

    Those are the days I long for a convertible. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could read this post over and over...it was so beautifully written. I could feel the magic and beauty in your words.

    I'd say you were blessed beyond measure ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Bonnie:
    Oh, that magical moment of twilight when the warmth of the day lingers and the world grows still. How well you describe it, and we are there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the beautiful sounds we enjoy every. single. day.

    aren't we lucky girls?? not everyone acknowledges those simple pleasures!!

    i hope you clipped some of those lilacs and brought them inside!!

    have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to stop like you have, Bonnie. A resuscitation. You're right about some precious moments being un-capturable on film...kind of nice that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautifully expressed. How wonderful to get out and enjoy it all.
    Here temps are in the 50s and I'm walking almost everyday. Don't want to miss a thing. :)
    Wishing you a lovely weekend, Bonnie!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you had time to enjoy a beautiful spring day. We visited a garden today and the birds were singing and so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such a descriptive writer; I can picture exactly what you are describing! A great intro to Spring! I love to hear the chirping and tweeting of birds that usher in the season of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must have been awesome to have the bird sit right near to you. I have occasionally had that feeling of wishing I could take my camera, and not wanting to stir. I sometimes think I should look and listen more and not always be snapping away.

    But of course it means you can't share it on your blog! never mind, your description made a vivid impression on me.

    ReplyDelete