Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Rainy Day in Copenhagen


Traveling to Denmark and Sweden in December when one should be preparing hearth and home for the holidays, and taking a week away from school at one of the busiest seasons would have sounded preposterous a year ago.  And yet, a week ago it is exactly where I found myself.

The days in Scandinavia this time of year are short (very short) cold and dreary.  With the heart of an explorer I couldn't let the weather keep me from an adventure. There were streets to roam, sites to see and people to watch.

I find I am at my best, and discover the most extraordinary things when I set out without an agenda.  I think when one limits one's self with a destination much is overlooked and missed along the way.  I enjoy the surprises around every corner.

I visited H.C. (Hans Christian) Anderson, trespassed through Christiansborg Palace,  found the Royal Library and happened upon a mermaid (not "The Little Mermaid" though).

A few of my favorite images of Copenhagen.

















The moon is up by 3:30.  
Time to catch the train.





8 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    Copenhagen is a city which we should very much like to visit and are now even more tempted by your wonderful, and very varied, images. We do so agree with you about not having a particular agenda when arriving in a completely new place, but rather allowing time to wander, almost at will, to try to establish a feel for where one is. You have clearly done just this and have obviously had the most wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I found the solar windmills especially interesting and wonder how the people felt about them going up. Newport, R.I. isn't happy about the prospects of having them.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Bonnie! You were just a short hop from England and a visit to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trip. Am I green with envy?

    Totally.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds beautiful Bonnie! Enjoy your trip and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely photo's bonnie, i hope you had some time to relax. i hate having a schedule when i am on an adventure. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time without an agenda allows for serendipity. Your photos show you have seen some beautiful sights. I love that clock tower. I am glad you are making the most of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, There are windmills everywhere in Denmark and Sweden. When we lived in Northern California, many years ago, there were wind farms. I found that interesting.

    Rosemary, To have had the chance to stop and visit with you would have been the best.

    ReplyDelete