Monday, December 19, 2011

A Ghostly Visit


"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?"
Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"


Friday evening Roger and I attended the musical production  "A Christmas Carol" at our local repertory theater.   I loved every minute of it.  Not knowing how Dicken's small tale of industrial capitalism would translate in song and dance, I attended with an open mind.  I was not disappointed.   It translates beautifully.

A Christmas Carol was first published December, 1843.   One might wonder what Mr. Dickens might think about today's excesses.  How would he write the story today?   

"A Christmas Carol, The Musical" was a most wonderful and entertaining way to spend a Friday evening.  From the moment  the ghost of Jacob Marley emerged from the fireplace to the moment Ebenezer Scrooge's winter heart is melted like the frozen ground after spring's first breath, I was mesmerized. 

I needed a bit of a Christmas transformation.  I had my own Christmas spirits visit during the night, keeping me awake and reminding me of everything I needed to do.   My ghosts were more demonic and not nearly as entertaining.  Actually a tad rude and annoying.  They did however make their point and set me in motion.  I will sleep better tonight, I am most certain.


"He had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle, ever afterwards; and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!"

13 comments:

  1. Yes, can you imagine how that story would translate today. I don't imagine it would make for a very good musical.

    I'm glad you had such a nice time...sounds like a special holiday date night. :)

    Merry Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    How delightful the Dickens' adaptation sounds to have been and we are truly pleased that you both enjoyed the evening. And we are certain that you know how to 'keep Christmas well'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful way to spend an evening during the holidays! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate you were to go to a live production. I adore the old movie, the 1954 version with Alister Sim. I'll be watching it this Saturday night, glass of wine and box of tissues at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to see this performance! I hope your Christmas is full of happy moments!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zuzu...A joyous and peaceful Christmas to you and all who enter your Cottage in the Woods. Hugs to you! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very nice evening out. I would have a hard time imagining that as a musical too. I'm always amazed at other peoples creativity and how they can turn something into something else so different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a wonderful time....i love all the special moments that lead us to christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie:

    Thanks for visiting my blog....Your blog is wonderful and when I get a chance I will revisit your postings.

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember watchin' my very first Christmas Carol on the black and white television. Later in High School I read the book. Thanks for the very inlightin' info on that wonderful story.

    God bless ya and have a beautiful Christmas filled with the laughter of friends, the love of family and fudge baby...piles of fudge! :o)

    MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't A Christmas Carol wonderful? We read it out loud every Christmas and it's one of our favorite traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a few nights with "ghost/demon" interruptions as well. Things seem to be under control now and I'll just be letting go of a few things and settle down to enjoy the season. Thanks for your good wishes.

    Until next year.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete